MIS4596-Tony Messina-Sec 002-Spring 2017

Ransomware: The Next Big Automotive Cybersecurity Threat?

A new type of hacking is beginning to show its head in one market that may not be expected; automobiles. Hackers are beginning to engineer methods in which to manipulate automobiles in multiple ways. Some of these ways are unauthorized entry into the vehicle, starting/stopping the vehicle, even cutting power to the engine mid trip.  Although we may see this as a niche group in which to “hack”, Car&Driver says this: “Approximately 250 million connected cars are expected to be on roads worldwide by 2020, according to a 2015 analysis by technology consulting firm Gartner, making connected cars the next potential market for hackers.” (caranddriver.com) Although it may seem like something only experienced hackers can accomplish, there are multiple guides and tools in which are readily available to amateur hackers which “hand-hold” the viewer through the process of hacking automobiles in multiple ways.

1.) Do you feel that automobile hacking is being taken into (reasonable) consideration when creating smarter, more tech friendly automobiles?

2.) Does this make you think about what brand/model/year of automobile you should purchase next? 

-Source: http://blog.caranddriver.com/ransomware-the-next-big-automotive-cybersecurity-threat/

2 Responses to Ransomware: The Next Big Automotive Cybersecurity Threat?

• Profile photo of Robert Anthony Lesnik

Yes I feel as it is being taken into consideration, but i do not believe that it is being taken seriously. Can you imagine the potential outcomes of someone hacking into your car while it is driving? The results could be fatal. It is a new technology, so these things are going to happen in the early stages. I hope that security for these cars are high once more begin to hit the market. This does not make me think about the brand of the next car that I will purchase. I enjoy driving and have no interest in a self driving car, especially with the security risks.

• I don’t feel as though it is being considered seriously because the technology is still in its infancy and is not as pervasive. Currently TESLA is the only car manufacturer that has autonomous vehicles on the road, and it has strict no liability clauses in its contracts. As part of IoT, autonomous cars are susceptible to cyber security threats. More so than data privacy with smart/self-driving cars, I believe the security threat of a hacker gaining control of driving capabilities is a bigger physical threat. This threat does not make me think about which brand/model/year of automobile to get because the option to have a car drive itself, is exactly that, an option. Drivers can choose to drive themselves. That said, car manufacturers like Tesla send out automatic software updates, and this is something that is of particular concern if compromised.