MIS4596-Tony Messina-Sec 002-Spring 2017

It’s time to face the ugly reality of face recognition

Does Face recognition as simple as google image search intrude with our personal privacy? Us as individual, we don’t really think about how our personal features are being used to come in contact with personal data. Some of the features we identify a person are by finger print, ethnicity, and etc. The way those features are used are under confidential use. These days there are facial recognition that will identify their names, addresses, and also other personal data that the individual might have share about their life on public media. All of those data that have been attached to basically just pictures of an individual and anyone in this world would be able to find out information about another individual by easily searching another through facial recognition of some sort.

Does this intrude your privacy?
What are some way that you might protect yourself from others finding out information about you that you don’t want others to know about?

Article credit

4 Responses to It’s time to face the ugly reality of face recognition

• I’m indifferent on this issue because I feel we freely put our information on the internet that perpetuates this problem. We choose to upload pictures of ourselves to social media. Our E-Portfolio has a picture of us with a convenient link to our resume where most of us have an address and phone number listed. Linkedin will display a detailed view of your work history. Without using sites like Family Tree Now, Pipl or Whitepages anybody can get a lot of information about you. It’s hard to say this intrudes your privacy when you’re volunteering this information to the public.

This issue I do have is with big corporations who sell your info to 3rd parties. For an example, Comcast makes you pay to have your phone number unlisted. I was shocked when I learned about this. Sadly the fee to keep your phone number unlisted has risen over the years. Another example is how republican senators are introducing a bill that will eliminate a FCC rule that made ISP’s get your explicit permission to sell your browser history and other private information to 3rd parties. Actions like this from big corporations and clueless lawmakers make me feel that my privacy is being intruded.

Another source of public information is property records. Most counties have a simple search tool that will allow you to enter an address and see who lives there, how much they paid for the house and how much their taxes are. You can also do a reverse search by name and see what properties they own. A tool like this benefits the public. As a homeowner you should know who your neighbors are.

Websites or services that use facial recognition crawl the web getting our personal information from the ways I listed above. It feels like we can point the finger in so many directions as to why our personal data is freely available.

• I don’t think it intrudes on our privacy as long as we are willing uploading photos of ourselves. When you upload photos to Facebook, Instagram, etc, they have terms that allow them to do certain things with them. Facebook has a feature that can recognize you in other pictures and ask other people to tag you. So as long as you are uploading photos of yourself you need to accept that this is what companies can and will do now. Google obviously does something similar because you can image search a celebrity and it can tell you who they are. When you image search a picture of yourself (unless your famous) it won’t be able to recognize you, but find a website like Facebook that has t hat same photo and then other photos from your profile.
    At this point, you really can’t do too much to protect yourself if you’re going to use the internet. You can avoid social media and use a VPN, but eventually you’re gonna need to give some companies certain data and it’ll be online.

• I can understand the reasoning behind using facial recognition but when it comes to the subject of invading personal privacy I feel as if it may be the case. We have advanced technologies today such as fingerprint scanning and voice recognition which seem adequate but technology is always pushing for new ways of getting work done. I believe that facial recognition is great in certain scenarios such as airport screenings and forensic use but for everyday use it may become too invasive. People are uncomfortable with the fact that they may be watched via their webcam and/or microphone. It adds convenience when signing in to a device but it seems unnecessary in my opinion. Fingerprint scanners seem unique enough for me to use and I personally do not see the use for facial recognition in a consumer/commercial standpoint although it may bring efficiency. To protect myself from other people I try to provide as little information online as possible so it can be difficult for somebody to find me. I have a personal life that I want to keep private and to keep it off the airwaves.

• Looking to the future, for automatic face recognition systems there is increasing evidence that using “face averages” may improve identification rates. These averages are computer-generated images, made by combining several photographs of the same person. Computer algorithms show an advantage when using these averages to compare to a target image. A simple smartphone system is also better at recognizing a user if an average image is stored in its memory. But it may well be that long-term, we choose to leave behind our belief that facial comparison is the solution – and instead embrace other means of identification.