MIS4596-Tony Messina-Sec 002-Spring 2017

Will VR be the next big thing in marketing?

It is no surprise that Virtual Reality has made a splash into today’s world. The technology is unique and has unlimited potential. VR has the ability to place users in a simulated environment and allow them to interact in 3D worlds. Many companies including Google, GoPro, Apple, and Sony are investing into VR which means that it may become commonplace in the near future. The article talks about the potential of VR marketing. For example, a person can experience business class on a flight or a luxury-style apartment before payment. Well, this may become possible with VR advertising. Car brands have realized the potential of this advertising and companies such as Audi, Jaguar, and Volvo already releasing VR ads. VR advertising gives consumers the ability to essentially try out and see the product in a new way before committing to a purchase.

Article: http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/19/virtual-reality-the-next-big-thing-in-advertising.html

Questions:

1. Do you think more companies will adopt this new trend of VR advertising? Are there any downsides?
  2. Where other markets and industries do you think we will see VR in?
  3. As a company who may see VR as a threat to their business, how would you suggest they approach this threat?

4 Responses to Will VR be the next big thing in marketing?

• Although the technologies are completely different, I like to compare VR and AR to Bluetooth. Like Bluetooth, VR is still far ahead of its time. While many of people in our generation (and younger) are prepared to completely immerse ourselves in the experience, there’s still going to be a large disconnect among the older generations. As we’ve learned with disruptive technology, it would be completely asinine for larger “tech” companies to not put some skin in the game, despite a long period where they won’t see a reward. I think the possibilities for VR are endless as retail companies, medical institutions and architecture companies alike can benefit from adopting this technology. Companies that are doubtful need to quickly change their mindsets and prepare to adapt. Technological change is inevitable and I think many would agree that VR is the next wave.

• Society is moving towards a more and more connected environment and people are interested in having a single “control unit” across the different aspects of life (professional, home, family, social, etc.). VR removes the user from their surrounding atmosphere, and in a way disconnects them. This can be positive when used as an escape or to immerse oneself in a new atmosphere (helpful in marketing), but may also be seen as a negative because it cannot be used as easily with the flow of everyday life. For this reason, I believe VR will be very popular in the gaming industry but will be harder to integrate into day-to-day functions.

• As virtual reality devices become adopted throughout consumers household companies will want to adapt to the trend of advertising their products using VR The only downside I can see to this is if advertising causes a pushback from consumers and wanted the freedom of watching their show or playing their games without interruption.

Except for the obvious gaming companies, you can see virtual reality in any area of industry especially referring to training employees

I see movie theaters going out of business because of virtual reality. There’s no real way that I movie theater could challenge this new technology because theaters don’t make money only on the sales of popcorn and candy and not tickets sales.

• The future is walk-around VR or what’s called “room-scale VR,” where you can move around a virtual room. Imagine walking around a Walmart virtual showroom in your bedroom and using hand controllers to add items to a virtual shopping cart or browsing virtual clothing racks at Target. VR is predicted to disrupt nearly every industry, but in particular education, travel, journalism, health care, architecture, and yes, even marketing. The world is no longer flat. The internet is fast-becoming a place you step inside. Just as you had to make your site responsive for mobile, so too will you have to make it responsive for VR. For a company that views VR as a threat, I’d advise they shift focus to areas VR won’t touch.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *