Amazon Go: the store of the future

When the CEO of Amazon, Jeff Bezos, purchased the conglomerate Whole Foods in early 2015, he envisioned an innovative way for consumers to shop at stores. At the end of 2016, Amazon unveiled its plan to implement cashier-less grocery stores across the nation. The futuristic supermarket, Amazon Go, is designed with advanced cameras and technologies that allow customers to pick items and walk out of the store without going through the checkout process. Instead, the items taken from the store will be automatically charged to your personal Amazon Prime account after leaving.

This brick-and-mortar supermarket will eliminate the need for cashiers. According to the article, there are 3.5 million cashiers in the United States who could potentially lose their jobs to automation if Amazon Go is a success. The first store just opened in Seattle on January 22nd and it’s only a matter of time before more start popping up.

Do you think it is economically ethical to implement these types of stores? Would you be interested in shopping at a brick-and-mortar Amazon store? When will Amazon reach its peak?

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/26/technology/amazon-go-store/index.html

4 Responses to Amazon Go: the store of the future

• I think the concept of this sort of brick-and-mortar store is fascinating, but at this stage is more of a novelty than a legitimate alternative to traditional shopping methods.

I don’t know if it’s accurate to use the 3.5 million cashier jobs figure as that would assume a 100% shift to this new, cashier-less method of purchasing goods, but I do agree with you that it could be problematic for those who hold these positions. This also made me think of the Aldi case from Integrative Business Applications. Aldi stores operated (and operated well) with a skeleton crew. This, of course, limits jobs at each location, but the ultimate end experience is generally viewed as positive by shoppers and Aldi employees alike.

I believe Amazon Go could make some waves, but it won’t be the technology or paradigm that makes us change brick-and-mortar as we know it.

• Although it might not be economically ethical to implement these types of stores, many organizations are doing it any way and its proven to save them money and become more efficient. Honey grow for example does not have any cashiers instead they use an application for food ordering in the store which reduces human error and saves the company money. I personally enjoy using such services because I’m less pressured in making decision as I have the time to choose on my own. It certainly brings up the point of how many jobs will technology cut away as innovation continues to grow. Amazon has a long way to reach its peak as its innovating day by day.

• It’s hard to say its economically ethical to implement these types of stores. We do know that the rate of unemployment will increase, based on implementing these types of store. But in our current society, we need more technicist. Even if Uber drivers do not know how to use the app, they will be eliminated from the career. Personally, I would love to shop at Amazon Go, because it is more convenient, no waiting line, and fast check-out with the electronic receipt. And I don’t know when will Amazon reach its peak, but it may not reach its peak based on Amazon Go. Because Amazon Go’s executive, Gianna Puerini, said Amazon has “no plan” to do so. They don’t plan either they will open more Amazon Go stores or sell the system (cloud computing services) to other retailers.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/21/technology/inside-amazon-go-a-store-of-the-future.html

• Nowadays, everything is about convenience. I think that these types of stores will be really successful as they expand. It is a lot easier for consumers just to grab and go rather than wait in long lines. I would definitely shop at an Amazon store. I am already a Amazon prime member and I am loyal to the company. Amazon is at the top of its game and I don’t think they will be slowing down anytime soon. In my opinion they will be one of the top corporations to ever exist. They are smart and know what consumers want.