Information Systems Integration – Tony Messina

Artificial Intelligence and China’s Face of Security

Image result for facial recognition

Long lines and waits have been commonplace for many years for security checks at major events in China. A facial recognition system currently in development may change that according to CEO Robin Li Yanhong of multinational tech company Baidu.

Current measures to identify people attending the “Two Sessions”–China’s national legislature meetings–have been inconvenient according to many. This year’s sessions features a system called “Sky Net”, which can alert authorities if a wanted person identified by facial recognition.

China’s push to lead the world in artificial intelligence is evident by its growing use of facial recognition. Some of Beijing’s subway stations have already installed facial recognition cameras, and railway police in China’s Henan province have been equipped with facial recognition technology to assist in screening passengers.

Police officers at the Two Sessions this year have worn panoramic body-cameras that can identify wanted suspects in real time. Up to 50,000 officers are expected to wear them this year.

What are your thoughts on facial recognition? Will its positive impacts outweigh any potential negative impacts?

Source: http://www.scmp.com/tech/leaders-founders/article/2136528/how-artificial-intelligence-will-change-face-security-china

5 Responses to Artificial Intelligence and China’s Face of Security

• I believe facial recognition will have many uses in the near future, and can bring a whole new level of security and added value to the areas it is implemented. With that being said, I also think due to it being such a new technology it brings a lot of risk, and uncertainty that many immediately associate with fear and identities being hacked. I believe once the technology has gone through the early stages of its development and has worked out the bugs, many people will become accustomed to it and proceed with their daily lives. So yes, I believe its positive impacts will surpass the potential negative impacts.

• The use of facial recognition will definitely improve the efficiency and have the potential to raise the level of reliability of screening if such technology is sophisticated. In this case, suspects may be more afraid of exposing to the public, which will eventually help the society with safety concerns. However, in the meantime, high-tech crimes will emerge and the security department has to improve its needed skills and technology to cope with.

• I think the use of facial recognition technology could be used for a wide variety of security uses. It could help fight identity theft by matching facial features with other identifying information. It could also be used at gun stores for a quick and easy to find out if someone trying to purchase a weapon has any prior arrests or violations that may prevent a legal purchase. There is also privacy concerns or lack of privacy. If you haven’t done anything wrong why should you be scanned in the first place? I agree with the other comments, as the technology advances the kinks should work themselves out and this has the potential to be a really effective tool in the fight against crime.

• I think the use of facial recognition technology could be used for a wide variety of security uses. It could help fight identity theft by matching facial features with other identifying information. It could also be used at gun stores for a quick and easy to find out if someone trying to purchase a weapon has any prior arrests or violations that may prevent a legal purchase. There is also privacy concerns or lack of privacy. If you haven’t done anything wrong why should you be scanned in the first place? I agree with the other comments, as the technology advances the kinks should work themselves out and this has the potential to be a really effective tool in the fight against crime.

• The official use of facial recognition technology in government is more comfortable than some private companies like Apple. As a result of huge population in China, there is always long line when checking in customs. The combination of facial recognition technology and fingerprint recognition has already been used in the system when people pass the customs, and it is really quick than a officer work station.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *