Covert gun detection looks to prevent mass shootings

Gun control has been a major topic in the United States recently and many Americans have expressed their opinions at protests. While gun regulations are a reasonable option to make schools and other public buildings safer, Patriot One Technologies is working on a screening system to accurately detect citizens with guns, knives, and bombs on them.

The PatScan system can perform a full body scan discreetly since the hardware can be hidden in walls and ceilings. The CEO has addressed that there are no privacy concerns because the system doesn’t generate any images. Instead it acts similar to a metal detector and informs security if there is any potential of dangerous weaponry. It uses AI to learn information about the types of materials and shapes so it is constantly evolving. There are plans to implement this system in casinos and schools in the near future.

Do you think that this can help lessen the amount and impact of mass shootings? 

Source: https://www.cnet.com/news/patriot-one-technologies-gun-detection-patscan-looks-to-stop-mass-shootings/

6 Responses to Covert gun detection looks to prevent mass shootings

• I think this technology could lessen the amount and impact of mass shootings. The number and frequency of mass shootings in America have gotten out of hand in recent years. However, the implementation of this technology could face challenges. For example, what about states where it is legal to carry? In that case, this technology could only pinpoint people with weapons but not arrest them. The technology could be a big help in deterring the transport of weapons. The challenges would be implementing it and the repercussions of its use. Before implementation, a study of the legal environment in this area should be considered. This technology is definitely in demand. An article from Wired states that “screening for concealed weapons has become more critical than ever, but most would prefer to do it without metal detectors, wands, pat-downs, and other buzzkill tactics.” If a large amount of organizations adopt the new technology, then it could have a significant impact. This leads me to believe that this could lessen the amount and impact of mass shootings.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-las-vegas-resort-using-microwaves-to-keep-guns-out-of-its-casino/

• This could definitely reduce the amount of mass shootings in the US if the technology is implemented successfully. It’s really interesting to read about solutions that differ from the ones that are always discussed when major shootings occur. I’m a little skeptical about the lack of privacy concerns expressed by the company’s CEO however. It makes me curious to see if the plan would face a lot of opposition when they attempt to implement it. Regardless, I think this would a good compromise among the different positions held by the political parties and provides a good way for AI to make the world a better place.

• I think this technology is a great idea in helping the issue of mass shootings which is a current issue in the United States. I think this technology can help reduce the number of mass shootings by not only finding people who carry guns, knives, or other dangerous weapons, but it also may reduce the number of people carrying dangerous weapons as well as any other illegal items. I think this technology is a great idea and hopefully, if used correctly, it becomes in high demand and is used throughout the country.

• I think the PatScan system could help lessen the amount of mass shootings. I also do think there will be potential privacy issues because of this system. Even though it does not take any pictures, it’s probably possible it could flag someone for carrying a non-dangerous metal object, and that may not want to be searched. I think there are places that could benefit from this system, especially schools and casinos. Mass shootings have become too common and a system where everyone has to walk through this “metal detector” could stop some shootings before they happen.

• This technology can defiantly have some great benefits in catching people with guns and preventing mass shootings. This can also scare people in

• This technology can defiantly have some great benefits in catching people with guns and preventing mass shootings. This can also scare people in to not try and bring guns into places that could potentially have this technology. When a person is not aware he is being scanned for a gun he is not likely to be careful and it could catch many people. Systems like this need to be build into schools and hotels where many people are not checked and prevention of shootings could occur.