Instructor: David Schuff, Section 003

Because I Said So

In the past, when an employee questioned someone “above” them they were told “because I said so”. Corporate hierarchy meant if I am higher up the ladder than you my choices are better and should be the ones we listen to. In recent years that is rapidly changing. Companies are beginning to realize you may not need extensive knowledge and experience to realize a flaw in a decision a person is making. Often times people are too close to the decisions they are making to see obvious problems that will occur down the line. It is becoming increasingly popular to collaborate and “get another pair of eyes” on each decision you make. This flat leadership model is especially popular among start-ups and millennials. The open environment encourages anyone with a piece of input to speak their mind, where in the past they may have stayed quiet out of fear of insulting someone “above” you. I have personally experienced this at the job I have now. I love the company I work at because collaboration is encouraged, and people are not insulted by you helping them with a project they are working on. For example, a co-worker of mine had begun implementing google-tag manager on our site, a tool used to better track user engagement.  He had been struggling for some time a could not figure out why tags were not firing and asked me to take a look at it. It turned out that it was simply an issue of case sensitivity and he needed to capitalize the first letter of each trigger. He was too close to it to realize such a simple solution, he was overthinking it. Bringing in a fresh pair of eyes allowed for a fast realization of the issue and moved the project along.

One Response to Because I Said So

• You made an interesting point and I completely agree with you. There are so many cases where a person works intensely on something and they are not able to see for themselves the potential problems. Having another set of eyes reviewing your work has always been beneficial. It’s something we’ve done ourselves throughout our years of education. Since I can remember, any writing assignment given has always been revised and edited by another classmate or teacher. That is actually how I have learned to better my writing because I couldn’t see for myself what mistakes I was making and what sounded right.