MIS4596 CAPSTONE COURSE

Cirque du Soleil Drives Creativity and Expansion with SAP Solutions

After reading the case study on Cirque Du Soleil, I wanted to learn a bit more about the business and specific systems that the corporation utilizes. What fascinated me the most had to be the aspect of how the business is essentially on wheels, and how they foster a successful company when on tour with some of the main systems being miles and miles away. Innovation and creativity play a huge factor in today’s thriving businesses, and it may seem as if for a business on wheels to be a difficult task, but this article proves the opposite. Being different as an organization does not hold Cirque back, but inspires them to continue to be different. As Olivier Gariepy, Senior Business Analyst at Cirque du Soleil said:

“Because creativity is the driving force of our company, we in IT need to be creative ourselves. We can’t turn down a creative idea because it doesn’t fit with our existing technology.”

The integration of SAP for Cirque was a task that most definitely was not simple and easy to implement, but is truly paying off now, saving outrageous amounts of money and allowing the business to be multitudes more efficient. “The implementation of SAP solutions has helped Cirque du Soleil optimize and review some of its business processes while collecting some valuable business data. And the next step is leveraging that data further.” It will truly be interesting to see what else the show will offer as times change and people’s interests evolve with culture and innovation.

If you would like to read more about the topic I found this article very interesting: http://sapinsider.wispubs.com/Assets/Case-Studies/2011/July/Cirque-Du-Soleil-Drives-Creativity-And-Expansion-With-SAP-Solutions

3 Responses to Cirque du Soleil Drives Creativity and Expansion with SAP Solutions

• I think what I found most interesting about this case is that the CEO and other higher-ups in the corporation (like Oliver Gariepy) were able to see the advantages of implementing IT systems and delivered that message very clearly to their employees. The thought of implementing an SAP system into a moving circus sounds almost sounds ridiculous when you hear it for the first time.
    But I think what’s even more important than the data that they are now able to leverage is that their data is so much safer. At my internship, my boss always reminds me when I’m telling her about something that I learned about our software that I need to document that information in storage. Otherwise when I’m done with my internship and my boss forgets what I said, that information won’t be lost. And I can only imagine the surplus of information at Cirque Du Soleil that must have been either verbally exchanged, or written down on paper that has the potential to be lost (especially since they are always on the road) before this technological revamp.

• My initial reaction to Cirque’s extensive use of IT in their touring show life cycle was similar; I had never considered all the processes that go into running a globally renowned tour. Of course, such a large scale production demands the ability to easily collaborate and access to an enormous amount of information at a moment’s notice. However, one thing I noticed from reading the case study is that their financials did not play a role in the Cirque Memory system (I found this appropriate given that the system was mostly logistics-oriented). Nonetheless, Cirque needed ERP components that could handle the financial complexities of running the business. SAP seems like a savvy choice for Cirque. Because employees are constantly moving and performing entirely different shows, Cirque needs a system like SAP that’s as flexible as its business model and employees.