MIS4596 CAPSTONE COURSE

How to Ace Your Performance Review

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 8.49.07 PM

I know that I personally have always thought of performance reviews as uncomfortable sit-downs with the boss where I get talked at for a while, with little back and forth. I never thought that I had to play an active part in a review that was being conducted of me. However, the author of this Forbes article disagrees. She believes that one of the key aspects of a performance review should be you providing your own self-evaluation to your boss. Below are the steps that she says everyone should take to “ace their performance review.”

1. Don’t get overly emotional. It’s easy to take things personally, but try to keep things in perspective. 

2. Prepare a self-evaluation throughout the year. Note all of your accomplishments and major contributions, as your boss is too busy to make note of every time you do something good. 

3. Tell your boss where you need more support- this is also your chance to review your department.

4. Spell out your goals for the coming year. This will help you in next years review, as you can measure up against these goals. 

5. Speak in plain English and avoid business jargon. 

6. Handle criticism openly.

While most of the above are points that we have discussed, the self-evaluation concept is a new one. What are your thoughts on detailing all of your accomplishments throughout the year and listing them out to your boss? What’s the best way to go about t

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 8.6/10 (5 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: +2 (from 2 votes)
How to Ace Your Performance Review, 8.6 out of 10 based on 5 ratings

2 Responses to How to Ace Your Performance Review

• Profile photo of Jessica Cracchiolo

I like the idea of detailing all of my accomplishments throughout the year and listing them out because I would be better prepared for my performance review and it is easier to keep track all of the accomplishments. Sometimes its hard to sit and think everything you have accomplished and of course your boss won’t remember everything you have accomplished because you are not the only one on the team.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 4.0/5 (1 vote cast)
    VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)
  • Profile photo of Thomas F. Huang

I like the idea of the self evaluation. It provides a back and forth conversation that allows you to counter negative aspects of your review. However, I can see it backfiring if your reviewer does not agree with your points and they may view it as you questioning their authority. In addition, when most people talk about their achievements, they blow them out of proportion resulting in less objectivity when it comes to self evaluations. What I think might be better for larger organizations is having several reviewers. More times than not, a person will work with a number of managers in a given year. It may be more objective to average the reviews of a number of managers so if a person is a consistently poor performer, there is verification from multiple sources.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 4.0/5 (1 vote cast)
    VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)