MIS4596 CAPSTONE COURSE

Disruptive Innovation and Education

Disruptive Innovation and Education

In this Forbes article, author Michael Horn talks about his interaction with Clay Christensen and how they used disruptive innovation to suggest ways for public schools to innovate. Horn states that the education system that we have today is, in many ways, built as a sorting system. “Those students who can’t keep up with the pace are sorted out at various intervals – an arrangement that worked fine for many in the past, but in today’s knowledge economy is no longer OK.” Horn suggested that online education is a way for public schools to cater to the individual needs that each student has instead of treating them all as if they are exactly the same. Horn also states that online education could also disrupt higher education. He states that it could severely affect some institutes a lot more than others but the ones that aren’t affected that much could adopt it as sustained innovation. Do you think that online education is more disruptive towards k-12 learning or higher education? Do you think that this could be the future of learning? Will it affect any other industries?

2 Responses to Disruptive Innovation and Education

• I feel as though it could disrupt both. k-12 education needs a disruption like this, catering to individual children’s needs and learning abilities so they do not get pushed through school without really learning the fundamentals of early education. A child does need to socialize however so combining a mix of online education and physical education would be a perfect fit for youth education.
    When it comes to higher education, a disruption is already happening quickly. Some of the most talented people in the technology industry are self taught. In year to come, a degree may not be needed if a person can learn how any type of information they desire through the internet.

• I think that it is more disruptive towards k-12 learning. I do agree with Angela on a child needing to socialize, especially at a young age. That’s why I would wait and offer students online classes when they reach middle school. In addition, I would make the online classes completely optional allowing for both traditional and online classes. I would make it optional because some students might have a hard time adapting to online classes, which could potentially lower their grades. Online education is already a part of higher education and there are students who incorporate that into their schedules and others who only take online classes. I think it would bring more awareness to other online learning websites like Blackboard or Lynda.com. This could potentially harm the textbook publishers because students would use e-books instead.