Announcements

Final Exam Study Guide

The study guide for the final exam is here.

As we discussed in class, the final exam will be a “take home” exam. I will distribute the exam via email around 2:00 PM the day of the exam. You will have until midnight to return it, via email, to me. No late exams will be accepted.

The exam is “open book,” but you may only use the assigned course materials during the exam. In other words, you may not get help from the Internet, the library, or any other person.

All Grades Posted Through the Week 10 Writeup

In the excitement of our pivot-table exercise, I forgot to hand-back last week’s assignments. I’ll hand everything back at the start of this week’s class, but in the meantime the gradebook is up-to-date if you want to check out how you are doing.

Protected: Pivot Table Tutorial

There is no excerpt because this is a protected post.

A Datamasher Example

The data.gov case mentions one use of public data is to create mashups. I tried out Datamasher.org and created the Fast Food Multiplier. For each state, it divides the number of fast food restaurants per 100,000 residents by the percentage of active adults.

So the biggest numbers go to the states with the highest proportion of restaurants and the lowest percentage of active adults.

Take a look at the map and find out who’s first and who’s last!

data.gov case is this week

Remember, we are discussing the data.gov case this week.

The weekly schedule in the syllabus is correct, but the table that lists the cases earlier in the syllabus incorrectly has it for week 11.

And as a reminder, in preparation for the class it wouldn’t hurt to take a quick look at one or two data sets on data.gov and look at some of the mashups on DataMasher. It will be both fun and educational!

Individual Report for Term Project Date Changed

As we discussed in class, I will move back the due date for the individual report from November 2 to Friday, November 11 at midnight.

Keep in mind that you and your group are responsible for allowing time to combine your individual reports into a cohesive, coherent group paper and presentation. The longer you wait to finish your individual research the more difficult this task will be.

A little more Moneyball…

Wednesday’s in-class activity will involve reading the Moneyball case and deciding whether you can staff an organization like you scout a baseball team.

To get you in the mood, here’s an short interview with Michael Lewis, author of Moneyball, on which the movie was based. It’s not especially content heavy, but manages to touch on a few of the themes we’ll be talking about in class and during the exercise. This is especially true of the “tips” he gives in the graphic near the end of the article.

Turning off “Safe Mode” in SQL Workbench

You might find when trying your UPDATE, INSERT, or DELETE queries you get this error in SQL Workbench:

You are using safe update mode and you tried to update a table without a WHERE that uses a KEY column.

To fix this, disable “safe mode” in Workbench by doing the following:

1. In Workbench, select Preferences under the Edit menu
  2. Click the “SQL Editor” tab
  3. Uncheck the “Safe Updates” check box (6th one down)
  4. Click ok
  5. Exit out of Workbench and launch it again

You should now be able to do anything. Be careful!

MySQL Workbench: Quick Guide and Overview Presentation

To do our work with SQL statements, we’ll be using MySQL as the database and MySQL Workbench as our query tool.

Instructions for how to use MySQL in the lab (and to set it up on your own computer) is here.

A set of slides briefly explaining the relationship between Workbench and the MySQL server, and an overview of what Workbench does, is here.

A few other points:

• We’ll be using this material in Weeks 5 and 6 (September 28 and October 5).
  • Your username as password for the MySQL server is posted to the gradebook.
  • You’ll also need a username and password for the computers in the lab (for our in-class exercises those weeks). That is also posted to the gradebook.

Tacit and Explicit Knowledge

In class a question came up about tacit and explicit knowledge (as mentioned in the “Capturing Knowledge” article).

The difference was that explicit knowledge is more factual and easily documented (like a business process that is written down on a piece of paper), where tacit knowledge is usually something that is not as easily expressed (like how you have to navigate the organization to actually get that business process done). Tacit knowledge is the stuff you can’t really write down and is often gained by experience.

I found this explanation that builds on that and explains both of those terms pretty well.