Just another Temple Fox MIS site

Richard Flanagan

Final Exam Study Guide

Here is the final exam study guide.

As we discussed in class, the final exam will be a take-home exam. Here are the rules:

1. You will receive the exam via email (at your Temple email address) by noon on Friday, April 29.
  2. You will type your answers directly onto the exam sheet and return the document to me via email by 11:59 PM on Saturday April 30.
  3. The exam will be a mix of short-answer and longer answer questions. There will be strict word limits for the answers to each question.
  4. This is an open book exam – you can use any materials from the course.You may not use any other materials to complete the exam, including the (1) Internet (except for the class readings), (2) your colleagues, or (3) your classmates. Do not violate this – it will be considered cheating and will result in disciplinary action!

Weekly Question: Week 13

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class next week as well as your comments on your peer’s responsesRemember, you need to average four posts a week for a B. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your experiences and opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Answer one of the questions below:

1. Describe a project (a technology project if possible) with which you have been involved that caused a power shift within an organization.
  2. In your opinion, which methodology is more at risk to fail: agile or the waterfall model? Why? Refer to the reasons for project failure described in our readings in your answer.

Weekly Question: Week 12

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class next week as well as your comments on your peer’s responsesRemember, you need to average four posts a week for a B. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your experiences and opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

1. Which aspect of a change message do you think be constructed with the most care: rider, elephant, or path? Why?
  2. Describe a situation, in your own experience, where you had a change effectively communicated to you. What made it so effective?

Weekly Question: Week 11

1. Give an example (at home or at work) where you’ve needed to determine the “critical path” to get something done, even if you didn’t use a PERT chart to do it!
  2. When you’re asked to give estimates of how to get something done at work, how do you go about doing it? What methods could you employ to “narrow your confidence interval” and provide a more exact estimate?

Weekly Question: Week 10

1. Give an example of a project on which you’ve worked  (either professionally or otherwise) where you’ve had to make a tradeoff between time, scope, and cost. What factors affected your choice?
  2. Take a look at the “14 Common Mistakes” article from this week’s readings. Which mistake do you think is the most important to avoid? Why?