Just another Temple Fox MIS site

Weekly Questions

Weekly Question: Week 13

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class next week as well as your comments on your peer’s responsesRemember, you need to average four posts a week for a B. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your experiences and opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Answer one of the questions below:

1. Describe a project (a technology project if possible) with which you have been involved that caused a power shift within an organization.
  2. In your opinion, which methodology is more at risk to fail: agile or the waterfall model? Why? Refer to the reasons for project failure described in our readings in your answer.

Weekly Question: Week 12

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class next week as well as your comments on your peer’s responsesRemember, you need to average four posts a week for a B. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your experiences and opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

1. Which aspect of a change message do you think be constructed with the most care: rider, elephant, or path? Why?
  2. Describe a situation, in your own experience, where you had a change effectively communicated to you. What made it so effective?

Weekly Question: Week 11

1. Give an example (at home or at work) where you’ve needed to determine the “critical path” to get something done, even if you didn’t use a PERT chart to do it!
  2. When you’re asked to give estimates of how to get something done at work, how do you go about doing it? What methods could you employ to “narrow your confidence interval” and provide a more exact estimate?

Weekly Question: Week 10

1. Give an example of a project on which you’ve worked  (either professionally or otherwise) where you’ve had to make a tradeoff between time, scope, and cost. What factors affected your choice?
  2. Take a look at the “14 Common Mistakes” article from this week’s readings. Which mistake do you think is the most important to avoid? Why?

Weekly Question: Week 6

1. In your organization, do you tend to make decisions based more on quantitative or qualitative metrics? Why do you think this is the case? Do you think you are well-served by your approach?
  2. What do you think is the most important factor in making a good decision regarding project selection? Explain your answer.

Weekly Question: Week 5

1. Give an example of a problem you’ve faced (from your own experience) whose solution had unclear requirements. How did you go about figuring out what the requirements really were?
  2. Where do you stand on the initial issue of the case: Is the development of Watson similar to most information systems projects, or is it something fundamentally different? Defend your answer.

Weekly Question: Week 4

Answer one of the following:

1. How would the techniques we’ve done in class (affinity analysis/five whys) work in practice? Would there be resistance? How would you get your colleagues to adopt this approach to problem-solving?
  2. What is the role of root cause analysis in designing technology solutions? Give an example.

Weekly Question: Week 3

1. What do you think Wawa’s next move should be? Which of the options mentioned in the case would best serve their strategic goals of making their customer’s lives easier while improving their supply chain?
  2. In your experience (work or otherwise), describe a process that you interact with frequently but don’t know how it works. How do you interact with that process? What complications arise?

Weekly Question: Week 2

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class next week as well as your comments on your peer’s responsesRemember, you need to average four posts a week for a B. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your experiences and opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

1. Take a look at the list of common system characteristics in the “Systems Thinking for Health Systems Strengthening” article (Box 2.1; page 40). Choose one of those characteristics and explain how it might affect the design of a technology solution.
  2. Give an example, from your own experience, of a causal loop (like the “chickens-and-eggs” example from class). Would you characterize your example as a reinforcing or a balancing loop?