Essential Skills Every Data Analyst Should Have
While I’m working on ACL and practicing dealing with data and finding patterns, I was wondering about the essential skills that IT auditors and data analysts need to have. It’s clear that the most important point is the strong understanding of the business and domain they work in. This point has a great role in discovering the related problems, errors or mistakes and creating the most effective solutions. Here some other critical skills for data analysts:
- Critical Thinking: looking at the numbers, trends, and data and come to new conclusions based on the results is one of the main steps in data analysis process; thus, critical thinking is a very helpful skill for data analysts.
- Attention to Detail: Data is precise. Data analysts have to make sure they are attentive in their analysis to come to correct conclusions.
- Defining the problem requires excellent communication and understanding of the business needs. Avoid agreeing to deliver too much information that will be not useful to solving the core issues.
- Knowing the audience: this will impact the type of reports that the IT auditor needs to submit.
- Technical Skills:
- Data analysts need a basic knowledge of statistics to a rigorous understanding of Machine Learning.
- Computer skills such as Querying Language (SQL,Hive,Pig), a Scripting Language (Python,Matlab), a Statistical Language (R, SAS, SPSS), and a Spreadsheet (Excel) which is very useful to write specific commands and
These are the vital skills for data analysts. If you have any additional points, I will enjoy reading your thoughts.