What is known about digital innovation, how are the various research streams interrelated, what knowledge gaps exist, and what are fruitful areas of future research that contribute to managerial practice and theoretical knowledge?
A systematic review of the digital innovation literature according to a theoretical framework comprises following 7 dimensions.
The role of the external competitive environment
The role of internal organizational environment
Product, service, and process outcomes
Uneven coverage of research streams: Development, implementation, and the role of the internal organizational environment accounting for 91%.
Diversity and diffusiveness: The scientometric analysis reveals 4 clusters and empirical facts showing that the literature is diverse and diffuse.
Knowledge and learning as an underlying conceptual pillar.
Useful Questions for Future Research
- Initiation and human agency
How do organizations initiate digital innovation, what internal organizational and external environmental conditions cause alternative mechanisms to be more or less binding, and which initiation mechanisms are more effective than others and under what conditions?
- Design of systems versus design of practices
How can organizations combine the design of digital information systems with the design of organizational routines and practices to develop effective digital innovation outcomes of new products, services, and outcomes?
- Implementation as a directed versus an organic process
How can organizations integrate the tension of implementation as a directed versus organic process into the design of digital artifacts to achieve successful outcomes?
- Why do such knowledge gaps exist? The suggested questions do not cover exploitation, outcomes, and the role of internal organizational environment. Are those research streams fruitful areas to explore?
- Connection between theoretical framework and the scientometric analysis seems not clear. Are those seven streams derived from the identified clusters? What are the four clusters that have greater structure than random network?