Ryan Oliveira, Service Management Co-op, Merck Pharmaceuticals

My name is Ryan Oliveira and I am currently a junior studying Management Information Systems at Temple University. I am currently working for Merck Pharmaceuticals in the Information Risk Management and Compliance division as a Service Management Co-op.  At the beginning of the Co-op my roles included assisting with the financials of various projects using SAP, maintaining the community site for the division, and holding weekly meetings to assess incoming internal projects from an IRM&C perspective.  As the Co-op progressed I was asked to assist with other projects (Privacy by Design and Compliance Issue Visibility & Response).  My roles with these projects consisted of testing the applications and using SharePoint sites to update/pull information.

FoxMIS assisted me in obtaining this co-op as well as excelling in it. Prior to the start of the Co-op, the only class I took was MIS 2101, Information Systems in Organizations.  Merck was looking for someone with experience with SAP, although I wasn’t an SAP expert, my experience from the SAP project assisted me in landing the job. During the summer of 2011 I took  MIS 2502, Data Analytics which greatly helped me while I was working. The terminology and content I learned allowed me to follow in the various meetings.  I am fortunate to have my Co-op extended until the end of April 2011 and was brought on to a new project that requires my team and I to “think outside of the box”.

The content from MIS 3504, Digital Design and Innovation greatly assisted with the process of finding a solution.  I start work this summer for Ernst & Young in their Information Technology Risk & Assurance sub-service line and will be working on client sites assisting in walk-through phases and testing phases of IT controls.