MIS 5001: Information Technology Management
Session 11 Write-up
Case: Globalization of Wyeth
- IT was an enabler for the globalization initiative at Wyeth. One of the many accomplishments of the IT organization was the development of normalized data for a global data warehouse, which would provide essential information to all regions and business units of Wyeth.
IT Governance: Stop the Pendulum!
- There are 3 basic IT organizational models: The centralized model, which is efficient in running stable, repetitive global operations and maintaining low cost; the decentralized model, which is responsive to local requirements and are well aligned to business unit strategies; and the hybrid model, which is the preferred model that brings together the best features of both the centralized and decentralized model.
In the Next Industrial Revolution, Atoms Are the New Bits
- New product design and production has been made more innovative and relatively easier with the aid of an open-source peer production and crowd-sourcing.
- IT is very instrumental in globalizing any firm; its tools make it easier to take advantage of the benefits associated with globalization.
- With the economy pushing firms to be more cost effective and to strive for operational excellence strategy, there is an outsourcing trend of IT functions. What are your thoughts on firms outsourcing most of their IT functions? Is this a smart thing to do, or is this a very risky IT model?