Flyers win, with little help from Bryzgalov

The Flyers had a dramatic last minute victory on Tuesday night, beating the Winnipeg Jets 5-4 for an Overtime victory.  Wayne Simmonds scored with 10 seconds left in regulation off a great pass from James van Riemsdyk to put the game into OT, and Jaromir Jagr scored with just 43.1 seconds left in the extra period to give the Fly Guys 2 points in the standings.

This came after a questionable fourth goal was let up by goalie Ilya Bryzgalov, who allowed four goals on just 26 shots.  “It was a stupid mistake,” Bryzgalov said. “I start catching the puck, but it was miscalculated between the puck and my glove. It hit the edge of the glove and go in. I’m kind of sick and tired of these mistakes.”

The Flyers had 50 shots on goal, converting five into the net after a great effort by Jets goalie Ondrej Pavelec.  “We were just resilient tonight,” said Simmonds, who scored his 22nd goal of the season, already a career-high.  The Flyers need to keep up their resilient play to stay in the Eastern Conference hunt, at least enough to have a chance home-ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

This has been a common picture for new Flyers goalie Ilya Brygalov so far this season. Picture Credit: AP

But, it all starts and ends with 51 million-dollar man Ilya Brygalov.  “If I can play at the level I can and we have success, nobody will care what was in the past,” Ilya said on Wednesday.  Danny Briere backed his goalie up, saying, “People are quick to report how Bryz has struggled, but they forget how he’s had good stretches.”

The Flyers season rests on Bryz’s shoulders, and let’s hope the goalie figures out what he has to do in order for the team to make another serious Stanley Cup run this season.

2 Responses to “Flyers win, with little help from Bryzgalov”

• Although I am a Ranger’s fan, I’d like to see Bryzgalov turn his season around for the better. After watching the HBO 24/7 special, I thought he was the funniest guy in the NHL and I would hate to see a guy like this struggle for the remainder of the season. Not to mention, it would make for a more exciting matchup between the Rangers and Flyers to reach the Stanley Cup finals.

• Ha good to hear someone from the Rangers side is actually giving the Flyers some love, and yeah he was pretty funny on the 24/7 special. It also made me wonder where his head was, especially if he’s struggling like now. I think he needs to get out of this mind funk and embrace the fans somehow, but everyone knows he has the talent. Not going to lie though, I don’t want to face the Rangers in the playoffs right now