Essentially, as soon as you put those two little magical letters (RT) before reposting someone else’s tweet you are participating in viral marketing. While, it might just be something clever or thoughtful rather than actually promoting something, by retweeting what they said you are jut promoting them. That is all fine and dandy, but it is more, say beneficial, when you spread the word about a specific product or service.

I am more than guilty of participating in viral marketing concerning the Food Network. Actually, they should probably pay me. But, they dont and that is why it is so awesome for them because they know loyal viewers like me aren’t going to stop giving them free advertising.

On Twitter I follow the general Food Network account as well as many other celebrity chefs. They often tweet about recipes and about shows to be sure to watch. Like a good little food minion I retweet these so that anyone who is following me can be enlightened by the Food Network. Even better, if something is really good I wil share the link on my Facebook page so that even more people can see it.

I totally think that viral marketing is successful for products with network effects — if a product has a wildfire effect, we can’t just assume that everyone lives in California. (Get it, wildfire, california, yeah?) So, even if a product or a service as a following there is always someone who doesn’t know about it and viral marketing can find that person and get them to get their people to like it, too.

Fly, Twitter, fly!

images: Google images

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

2 Responses to “Viral Marketing: Guilty as Charged”

• Enjoyed reading the informative post. of course fb is a big partof our lives for individuals these days. I do believe any brand can benefit from facebook marketing -keep it up.

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
    VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
  • I love your post. I think that for viral marketing to be successful you need to give people incentive to share.

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
    VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)