Where Business Meets the Blogroll

What is Social Media?

Social media is…

Social media is a term used to collectively describe a set of tools that foster interaction, discussion and community, allowing people to build relationships and share information.

Social Media Is Driving Massive Online Video Growth

Social Media is a powerful tool in your marketing and sales tool box.

The first rule of social media etiquette is to be yourself.

Social media is vital small-business tool

Social Media Is Here to Stay

Social media is not…

Social Media is not Going to Save Your Business

Social Media Is Not a Strategy; It’s a Channel

Social media is not the place to air dirty laundry

Social media is not the “universal scoring system” for journalism

Sanjay Dalal, founder / CEO of oGoing. “Social media is not a one shot approach though, and it takes patience, persistence and passion to realize some of these benefits,”

Social Media is NOT a trend

Your role on social media is NOT to sell your product or service; it’s to build relationships with current and potential clients, providing them with useful information that positions you as an expert in your field.

What do you think social media is?

8 Responses to What is Social Media?

• I think your definition of social media pretty much covers it well. I do think it’s kind of ironic that you say that the first rule of social media is to be yourself. It seems like most people on social media are trying to be someone else. Particularly, on some sites like Second Life, everyone is pretending to be someone, or even something else. Frankly I think that’s a big mistake. I think the first rule of social media is to be yourself, but I think you could expand that to say the first rule of life is to be yourself. One could almost say that the vast majority of problems in this world are caused by people insisting upon hiding behind pseudonyms, and masks. What you’re really saying, I think, when you say be yourself, is to say be honest with yourself, and other people.

One problem that I do see with social media is that it drives narcissism. I’m not sure if narcissistic people are drawn to social media, or if social media makes people narcissistic, but one of the things I really don’t like for example, about twitter is that it’s filled with narcissists. It’s just absolutely overflowing with people who believe that the most inconsequential minutia of their lives must be shared with everyone, and that everyone finds such minutia fascinating. Why do I care where you are right now, or what you having for lunch? Andy Warhol once said, “In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes”. I guess with social media, perhaps the future has finally arrived. (Sorry, I think I digress here quite a bit. I kind of have a habit of doing that.)

• Great post. I wanted to comment on two things with a personal opinion. The first comment is regarding social media is not a strategy, but a channel. I would have to disagree slightly here if I am understanding correctly because many of the gaming companies have adopted social media platforms as part of their strategies to promote online gaming, which is their business. As a channel, I think it undermines how they are leveraging social media not as a tool but as a business growth optimizer. The other comment is that I believe social media is not just allowing people to build relationships and share information, however, based on the platform they are rekindling old relationships..

I agree Michael that being authentic is critical in social media (much like in any other social interactions!).

Good point Brian. I guess I’d say that social media is a tool to implement a strategy. If you click through on that link the longer quote says:

“Remember, social media is not a strategy,” she says. “Social media are channels for communication, and the strategy is behind your choice of which channels to use and how to use them. Any channel can be used a multitude of ways.”

• Waste of time. Marketeers’ goldmine. Sick at times.

OR

A unique way to get-to-know and connect with wonderful people whom one has never met in the offline world. It all depends on the perspective.

• Mariam, I have to think that it is a wonderful way to connect with others. I know that sometimes it is a waste of time, but there is so much to do on sites like this, and if you use it wisely you can really have it be a wonderful tool in your life. Just all in how you use it.

• I really like the list of things social media is NOT. Those are the things that people seem to forget the most.

• 100% with all the list for “social media is not.” What I’m really interested in is how it impacts education, especially regarding controversial things like teachers engagin w/ students on facebook/twitter or principals finding things kids are doing that they shouldn’t by viewing profiles. Something like that would be a good study.

Categories