Where Business Meets the Blogroll

Animated GIFs

Now that Google+ joins services like Tumblr in supporting animated GIFs, I’ve decided it’s high time to learn how to make them.

Poko

I did a web search and found there’s a whole bunch of websites that will let you do them for free. Take a few photos of a moving object with your iPhone, resize them something reasonable, and you’re all set.

LumpyBoots

What do you think, do animated GIFs make compelling content? Do you have a favorite tool for creating them?

10 Responses to Animated GIFs

• I quite frankly find them to be nauseating. I simply can’t understand why anyone would want to have a moving photograph that repeats the same motion over and over again. It literally makes me sick just to watch one of them for more than a minute. If one could control the movements of the photograph, then that might be somewhat interesting, but as it is, I find them about as interesting as watching a traffic light. In fact I would say that watching a traffic light is more entertaining. I think I would prefer watching paint dry! At least in that case you are witnessing an actual change taking place.

• Profile photo of Steven L. Johnson

Ah, yes, Michael… I realized as soon as I made my post that I should have asked if people just find them annoying. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Suddenly, I feel the need to say something positive. I think that if they contain enough photographs to depict some kind of meaningful stimulus response arc, or completed action, then they can make interesting motion studies. I can’t really think of a good example at the moment, but what I find so irritating about most of them is that they don’t really depict a completed action. Somehow, I always feel like when you see someone or something in motion, one has almost an instinctive desire to see the outcome of the motion. I just feel like with many of these animated GIFs some kind of anxious tension is built up watching the motion. I’m always wondering, what is the cat doing? What is the cat looking at? The story is never completed, yet I am made to watch it again, again and again. I want to know what the resolution of the action sequence will be, and I guess I find the lack of resolution to be irritating. Well, I guess that wasn’t exactly a more positive reply, but at least I expanded upon my previous comment.

• Google now has an “Auto Awesome” feature. They will automatically create gifs based on pictures that you took., You can then share them. You do not have to do anything. You just take pictures and have them saves to Google and when opportunities present themselves Google creates the animated graphic. You can then share if you want to share.

• Thanks Steven

As with most things, they’re OK in moderation. My concern would be that G+ is just going to get clogged up with moving pictures of pets. That would be a shame. ๐Ÿ™‚

• True guys, some animated pics can look a bit loopy and every one of them are redundant. A five or ten second view and it’s time to move on, right? Just a few seconds of amusement is all they’re intended for.

“Do they make compelling content?” – sure! As a viewer, I think they CAN be that for me if they tell a story (a brief one, obviously) or they are worth a laugh. I guess it all depends on whether or not you’re making the point you want to make, in the way you want to make it. Too much animation might look a little bit campy but there’s nothing wrong with a little fun now and then, either.

• Actually, I’m not a big fun of animated gif. But, yes. You are right. Animated gif is very popular on tumblr platform. I know it because I’m also using tumblr

• Gif photos only use for funny picture. Google makes gift photo just make their flatform more interesting. Like tumblr, Animated gif is very popular.

• Nice work Steven ๐Ÿ™‚

• There are a few apps that are useful like instagram that allows up to 30 secs, the same amount as short commercials and can be used as such. GlideBeta that allows you to sms video chats to friends or leave them a short video message like, ” I found that missing dog in the animated gif”

Categories