Joseph Musumeci – An Outstanding MIS Student

We are all busy with our lives, both academically and personally. So it is great when we can take some time to recognize an outstanding MIS student, Joseph Musumeci. Joesph is an honors student at Temple University’s Fox School Business majoring in MIS and Finance. He is currently working for Lockheed Martin as the technical senior since February 2012. He is also a member of AIS, Phi Beta Lambda, and National Society of Collegiate Scholars at Temple. His academic and experiences make him the top amongst his academic class.

I had the pleasure of having a quick online chat with him to discuss about his current position and the factors that lead him to it. He noted that Temple’s MIS program and professors has helped him to prepare for the future:

“My MIS classes have taught me the language necessary to communicate effectively in the business world.  More importantly, I have found guidance in my career. Joe Allegra and Laurel Miller both helped me to secure my position at Lockheed Martin. The professors themselves are the best tools as many of them have first hand experience in the industry and are all willing to share. Speaking with professors, like E. Carey O’Donnell to name one, have shaped my career goals and path to reach them.”

He also shared some advices for students who are undecided major:

“Pick a major that you’re good at and enjoy. If you enjoy your work, you will be motivated to do your best and will naturally go above and beyond.  Also, you are going to be working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week at a minimum, why not enjoy it.  Explore all the majors, research career options, and talk to people from the industry. It’s never too early to get a jump start on the competition.”

Joseph is the bright student who always takes advantage of networking opportunities with professors and recruiters. He works hard in his studies to maintain a high GPA while actively participating in activities, which allows him to stand out from the crowd.

It seems there is a good majority of student who do not start to think about their career until they graduate or near graduation. Getting ready early and preparing for it would make a big difference for your career as in the case of Joseph. If you take the time and effort to do more than just go to class, you will put yourself in an advantageous spot. As we know, Temple’s MIS program is one of the best, but it will only help you if you are willing to put in the work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>