Binh Tran

Fox School Best in Philadelphia

According to the U.S. News & World Report, Temple University’s Fox School Business is one of eight Business Schools on the rise nationally. Even better, our MBA program has the highest-ranking in the Greater Philadelphia and is one of the  best graduate programs in 2013. The Management Information Systems (MIS) program was ranked No. 22 according to the peer reviews and No. 18 overall in the nation. Currently, the MIS Department offers the special programs for post-graduates including MBA and a new Master of Science in Information Technology Auditing and Cyber-Security (ITACS). ITACS program helps students learn how to be aware about cyber security. This program will help students pass the Certified Information Systems Auditor exam and will open more career opportunities. If you are interested in this program, click here for more information or send the email to: Richard.Flanagan@Temple.edu

Fox School is constantly ranked as one of the best business schools in the Greater Philadelphia and the nation. We, as students, have the great opportunity to be apart of it. Everyone should be proud to know that Fox’s “stock” is getting better and being apart of this program will open many career paths. Especially in MIS, where more and more students are choosing it as a major or minor. After you graduate, you should really consider coming back to Temple for your MBA or any other graduate degree.

If you want to know more, here is the link for more information: Fox School named one of eight Business Schools on the Rise nationally by U.S. News & World Report

The Truth Of The Job Market After College

Most parents nowadays encourage their children to go to college and obtain a degree with the hope that they will land a great high-paying job. They want their children to have a better quality of life and be able to succeed as working adults. However, it is getting tougher for the “millennial generation” since the job market is now very competitive and slowly recovering from it’s latest recession. As a result, many students accumulate a big debt from 4+ years of loans and the high-paying job is not there. According to Alfred Lubrano, who wrote the article “Diminishing Returns” on Philly.com, unemployment rates was 19.4% for 20-24 year olds in 2010, meanwhile the U.S. as a whole was at 8.3% unemployment. Believe it or not, Mr. Lubrano said that there are about 80,000 bartenders in America with a Bachelor’s degree.

In the article, he mentioned about Alyssa Snavely who graduated from Temple with a psychology degree. She used to be a medical-case worker but is now unemployed and struggling to find another job. Alyssa worries that she may never get another job in her profession. Sadly, colleges spend a lot of money for maintaining and building new facilities and then will have to raise tuition rates. This article points out the vivid facts that I think all students should read and understand the current job market situation.

However, students should not be disappointed about this fact because you can change it. You already have the opportunity to go to college, just make sure to take all the advantage of it. The current situation makes it tough to find a job after college, it means you have to work harder to put yourself in an advantageous position. There are a lot of benefits from college and you just need to grasp it. Organizations like AIS, are huge benefits for MIS students. You get to meet companies and build networks. You have to start now and go at it with 110%. Yes, tuition is high but if you can use what you learn from school and apply it to the workplace, you will have a very bright future. Sometimes we don’t try hard and expect it to just happen but of course this is impossible.

Spring Fling 2012

It is that time of the year again. The flowers are blooming and the weather is getting warmer, but most importantly, Temple’s Annual Spring Fling is back! This year, Spring Fling will be on Wednesday, April 18th from 11 am to 4 pm. Spring Fling is an exciting event on campus which brings a lot of various activities for students such as bands, organizations, vendors, and freebies! This event is held just for Temple students so that they can relax and take a break from the studying. There are plenty of things to do like games, activities, food, and meeting with student organizations. Every year, there are major companies that come to promote their products. I remember experiencing things like Monster giving away free energy drinks and tents filled with the latest video games for anyone to try.

This is the great opportunity for student organizations because they can use this event to promote themselves and also raise funds by selling food or, my favorite, throws at a dunk tank. Organizations must reserve a spot to be able to participate in Spring Fling, so hurry the deadline is soon!

My last experience on the Spring Fling was a great one; I had a chance to meet great organizations and participate in many games and events. I think all students should join Spring Fling because it will allow you to relax, network with organizations, and you can meet and make new friends. You will never know what will peak your interest until you participate.

If you have any questions about this event, click here for a very useful of FAQ section about Spring Fling. The time is very flexible so you all can stop before or after class. So save this date and make sure you come out and have some fun!

Who is Paul A. Pavlou?

Graduating with a Ph.D. from the University of Southern California in 2004, Paul A. Pavlou is currently an associate professor of Management Information Systems (MIS) at Temple University’s Fox School Business. Besides a professor, he also has held many other roles such as a Stauffer Senior Research Fellow and director of Fox’s PhD Program in Business Administration. Recently, Dr. Pavlou has been ranked no. 1 MIS researcher in the world for 2011. Even though, his schedule is very busy, he still makes time to share his experiences with students. He hopes that we will have a different view about technology especially in MIS.

I had the pleasure to ask Dr. Pavlou some questions recently. From just his answers, I could tell he is very wise and knowledgeable and I can learn a lot from him. Being ranked #1, he clearly knows what he is talking about and we should take that as a huge advantage since he is apart of the MIS community.

Q:  As the top MIS researcher in the world for 2011, could you share with the students why you chose MIS for researching? What did you find interesting about it?

A: The domain of MIS with the intense study of technology in business is a very fascinating area because it marries technology with organizations, individuals, and markets. The fast-changing pace of technology makes research in MIS particularly exciting and interesting, and this is why I chose to conduct my research in MIS. Technology not only changes rapidly, but it also changes the dynamics of organizations and entire industries. Think of the world’s most successful companies (e.g., Apple, Facebook, Google, Amazon), and evaluate how technology has played an immense role in their success. Accordingly, any viable business strategy must include technology at its core, including social media, data analytics, e-commerce systems, large enterprise systems, proprietary technologies, and emerging technologies. Some of my recent research stresses the importance of explicitly integrating technology in an organization’s business strategy, something we term “digital business strategy.” Our premise is that effective organizations must include digital in their business strategy in order to succeed in today’s rapidly-changing environments.

Q: What is your advice for students if they want to achieve their dream?

A: Recent studies show that global investments in Information Technology (IT) total over 4T (trillion with a “T”) annually and comprise over 50% of a typical company’s capital investments. Therefore, it goes without saying that companies and governments need people to decide and manage all these investments in IT, creating an increasing demand for IT labor. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), some of the fastest growing professions include MIS at their core.  Most important, IT is not only a necessary burden, but a source of strategic differentiation by developing and using information systems in innovative and novel ways, such as data analytics (see Google), Web 2.0 (see Apple iTunes), social media (see Facebook), inventory management systems (see Amazon), and logistics systems (see UPS and FedEx). Accordingly, careers in IT are promising and exciting. Most important, with the rapid advancement of technology, the next wave of successful companies will certainly have IT at their core, continually allowing MIS majors and graduates to enjoy employment in high-tech, high-pay, high-excitement jobs!

Having Dr. Pavlou here is a great honor for our school and a fantastic advantage for students. Dr. Pavlou also applies of what he’s doing in researching through his teachings to share his experiences with the students. Make sure you do not miss the chance to meet with him, hear him speak, or even be in a class he is teaching.

Rock Climbing With AIS

The Association for Information Systems is an organization where students can join and expand their professional network. As you may know, the last couple weeks I have wrote about AIS and how wonderful it was and all the great benefits of joining them. I also mentioned about the great speakers at AIS. Not only does AIS invite many great speakers every week, but they also have fantastic social events. Students need some time to chill and relax with friends. AIS is the perfect place to release stress.

On February, AIS had it’s very first social event at Ken’s Seafood Restaurant & Karaoke Bar. Everyone loved the social event and really enjoyed themselves.  All the members came together, discussed career goals, complained about schoolwork, and had fun. That is why this month, AIS is having another social event called Rock Climbing at Go Vertical at Penn’s Landing on Friday, April 13th from 6pm to 8pm. Go Vertical is the largest indoor rock climbing gym and is a popular place in Philadelphia. This is a great social event for everyone even if you don’t love climbing. This is a wonderful place for good exercise and adventuring. With a fee of only $25, I believe this is a great opportunity for all students at a reasonable price.

I encourage all students to join even though you are not an AIS member. This social event is not only for having fun, but is also for creating experiences and networking. AIS members are very friendly and if you are interested in joining or having any questions please check out their website here.

What are you waiting for? Click on the link below for more information.

http://community.mis.temple.edu/tuais/2012/03/21/rock-climbing-at-go-vertical/

Annual IT Job Index at Temple University

There is great news for students majoring in MIS or IT at Temple University; the Association for Information Systems (AIS) is now collaborating with the Institute for Business and Information Technology (IBIT) to create an annual IT job index. This index is an evaluation for IT jobs in the current market. It helps display various information like pay scales and prospect information. This report will help students to understand the current status of the IT market and it will become a reliable source for searching for useful information. This index will also help to guide them in the right way both academically and professionally.

According to Dov Te’eni, president of AIS, and Munir Mandviwalla, IBIT executive director and chair of Fox’s Department of MIS, this is the great partnership between AIS and IBIT. The creation of this index will be a useful measurement tool for Temple University students. It will help students and professionals to discover ideas about the IT job market. Mr Munir said the IT job market today is very hard to access and find things such as enrollment, placement, and available jobs. This index will address the current problems and issues in the IS labor market.

This is exciting news for students when they offer these services for the MIS community at Temple University. I encourage all students should take this great advantage and use it efficiently once this index officially comes out.

If you want to know more about this index, click on the link below:

http://ibit.temple.edu/blog/2012/03/09/ais-and-ibit-to-partner-on-creating-an-annual-it-job-index/

Joseph Musumeci – An Outstanding MIS Student

We are all busy with our lives, both academically and personally. So it is great when we can take some time to recognize an outstanding MIS student, Joseph Musumeci. Joesph is an honors student at Temple University’s Fox School Business majoring in MIS and Finance. He is currently working for Lockheed Martin as the technical senior since February 2012. He is also a member of AIS, Phi Beta Lambda, and National Society of Collegiate Scholars at Temple. His academic and experiences make him the top amongst his academic class.

I had the pleasure of having a quick online chat with him to discuss about his current position and the factors that lead him to it. He noted that Temple’s MIS program and professors has helped him to prepare for the future:

“My MIS classes have taught me the language necessary to communicate effectively in the business world.  More importantly, I have found guidance in my career. Joe Allegra and Laurel Miller both helped me to secure my position at Lockheed Martin. The professors themselves are the best tools as many of them have first hand experience in the industry and are all willing to share. Speaking with professors, like E. Carey O’Donnell to name one, have shaped my career goals and path to reach them.”

He also shared some advices for students who are undecided major:

“Pick a major that you’re good at and enjoy. If you enjoy your work, you will be motivated to do your best and will naturally go above and beyond.  Also, you are going to be working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week at a minimum, why not enjoy it.  Explore all the majors, research career options, and talk to people from the industry. It’s never too early to get a jump start on the competition.”

Joseph is the bright student who always takes advantage of networking opportunities with professors and recruiters. He works hard in his studies to maintain a high GPA while actively participating in activities, which allows him to stand out from the crowd.

It seems there is a good majority of student who do not start to think about their career until they graduate or near graduation. Getting ready early and preparing for it would make a big difference for your career as in the case of Joseph. If you take the time and effort to do more than just go to class, you will put yourself in an advantageous spot. As we know, Temple’s MIS program is one of the best, but it will only help you if you are willing to put in the work.

Fox 2012 Information Technology Awards Tonight!

Every year around this time, the Fox school has a special IT awards ceremony. This is a great opportunity to recognize administrators, faculties, and students who have contributed the most for the MIS community. Students can also nominate anyone who deserves an award and attend this event. The 12th annual Fox IT Awards will be on Tuesday April 24th from 6pm to 8pm. If you want to nominate someone, then you have to submit the form no later than March 16th (Friday!).

I had the opportunity to join this event last year through a suggestion from my professor Carey O’Donnell. He encouraged all students to join this great event because this event is not only for the members who contribute for the MIS community, but also is a great place for networking. One thing that I like the most about this event is the speakers. Many of them are professionals such as an IT director, senior technician, or CIO that come from the major companies such as KPMG, Ford, and NASA. The speakers come to this event to make a speech not only about the nominees, but also the general information about themselves, the company overall, and the opportunities regarding MIS in the industry. There is free food and you are free to join this event. If you are lucky, you might get extra points from a certain MIS professor.

This event is very enjoyable and you will not be bored. There are many things going on and the time just flies by. For me, I love this event because it gives me a different perspective about the MIS and how influential it is. If I were you, I will definitely join it because it only happens once a year and it is worth a try even though you are not a MIS student.

For more information about the speakers and the nomination, please click on the links.

The Center for Design+Innovation (cD+i)

The Center for Design+Innovation (cD+i) is an organization that was founded by the Fox School of Business and the Institute for Business and Information Technology (IBIT). This organization is affiliated with the MIS Department and the primary goal of this organization is to inspire students by turning ideas into actions and helping community. This organization also brings a variety of groups of people together and allows them to collaborate. From professionals such as engineers, designers, and entrepreneurs to scholars such as students or professors, the cD+i produces innovations and ideas that turns into a vivid picture so that it can be applied to the real world.

Most students probably never heard about the cD+i organization or even know what it means. However, I am sure that you heard about the Design Challenge that happens every year at Fox School Business or Incitexchange where all the professionals speak about their experiences and exchange the ideas with students. This organization sponsors those events. Their slogan is “Transforming ideas into actions” and they always strive to do this.

This organization also offers the new session is called Experience Change where you will have the great opportunity to learn with Lee Green, Global BP IBM Experience and Strategic Design. He will teach this session by sharing his experiences from a different perspective of environment. This session will start on May 17th and appeal to different groups of people such as businesses, designers, educators, nonprofit etc. If you are interested in this session, you can contact Laurel.miller@temple.edu for more details and information.

Great Speakers at AIS

The Association for Information Systems (AIS) is a MIS association for Temple University students. Once you sign up and become a member, you will be able to enjoy the vast benefits of the  organization such as weekly meetings (with food!), the chance to interact with fellow MIS students, and the chance to listen and speak with the business professionals from various companies. Not only that,  being an AIS member will help you to improve your communication skills and make you become more confident when speaking with recruiters.

For every meeting, AIS arranges different speakers from many different industries so that you have a chance to network with recruiters and professionals. In the spring semester, there are many big named companies such as JP Morgan, Microsoft, AstraZeneca, CDW, PWC, and Sunoco. These speakers will talk about their company, position, and opportunities such as internships that either currently open or will be in the near future. In the end, you can ask them questions and show your interest about their company. The chance to actually meet an “insider” in these companies is an opportunity that you should not pass up. If you make yourself stand out, the recruiter will definitely remember you when you decide to apply. Don’t miss any opportunities to network with recruiters because they may remember you later on.

From my experience, if you want to be noticeable, you will have to be an active member. This means, you always want to be a volunteer for any social events or helping out with the community. AIS will give you this chance because they have many activities. If you want to know who is speaking this week, here is the website: http://community.mis.temple.edu/tuais/