Major: BBA MIS
Graduation: May 2020
- Job function (e.g., overall role, assigned tasks)
- As an intern at BrandPoint Services I was able to assist with a wide variety of daily functions of the business. My main job was to help the project management team with things like scheduling, invoicing, and ensuring that our teams were working on their respective jobs through the use of Salesforce and Smartsheet. But, I was able to be of use throughout the entire company. For more specific tasks, I was assigned with job sites and had to ensure that our contractors were charging my company the proper amounts and were being properly billed by Victoria’s Secret. I also needed to ensure they were on site on time, doing the work properly, and checking out using the proper methods when the job was done. Along with this, I would help the project management team resolve scheduling conflicts if someone were not able to be work during a specific day or time frame. This would ensure that the entirety of the project was completed on time. I also was assigned with using an efficient method to input work order numbers into Salesforce, so I used Excel to keep track of job sites, who was working them, when they were scheduled to be on the job site, their expected start time, were just a few of the things that were tracked so we could accurately assign work order numbers.
- Examples of projects (e.g., list the projects you worked on and what you accomplished)
- Throughout the summer BrandPoint Services was working with Victoria’s Secret to complete a project remodeling several hundred of their stores. While working on this project I was able to assign all of the proper contractors to their respective job sites throughout the country, ensure that all of the individuals who are working with Brandpoint Services knew what kind of work they were doing and how to do the job the right way. I was also able to regularly communicate with our partners to stay informed about any issues they may be experiencing throughout the job. As a result of communicating with these teams regularly we were able to keep the BrandPoint Services team on the same page as the wide range of contractors we had working nation wide.
- What you learned and how it relates to your major (e.g., describe what you learned from this experience in the context of specific courses)
- I was able to learn quite a bit from BrandPoint Services and the work that they do. More specifically, I was able to relate this internship to the Digital Design and Solutions Studio course that I took during the Spring 2019 semester. Throughout the course I was closely working with a team of project managers, working as one this summer has helped me better understand their role and prepare me for the course where I will spend the semester as a PM. Knowing the level of detail and planning that helps a team complete a project showed me how important project managers are, and showed me their role in a project. I learned the importance of having each portion of a project laid out and ready before it begins so that it can be completed as planned, as well as how essential it is to have someone there to help with conflict resolution when something goes wrong. I also used Salesforce daily throughout the summer, I was able to learn how to use the site in a real world environment. I used the tool to accept work orders from our clients and process them as they came in so that they would be paid. I also used the tool to set up opportunities that would be each contractors job, which helped lay out the pay and date of the work that was to be done.
- Once approved, the description is automatically displayed in a post on your e-portfolio.