About Subaru of America
- Founded in 1968
- U.S. Sales and Marketing subsidiary of Subaru Corporation of Japan
- Subaru’s cars: reliability, traction and “active safety”
- Subaru’s product line: Impreza, WRX, STI, BRZ, Legacy, Outback, Forester, and Crosstrek.
- Markets and distributes vehicles, parts, and accessories through a network of 630+ retailers across the US.
My role at Subaru:
- I interned at Field Quality Department (FQA).
- FQA deals with claims and cases from retailers, dealerships, CRS regarding customer vehicle’s quality issues. My team makes sure the quality of the vehicles meets the standard -> retain and attract more customers, who trust in our marketing brand: “making safety cars”.
- My internship could be divided into 4 main tasks:
- Analyzed claims and assess how big a specific issue is using analytics tools (R-studio, OracleBI). Generated dashboards and dashboards/reports from these tools.
- Assisted in quality assurance projects, system enhancement project
- Documented claim analysis procedure for easy reference in the future.
- Brainstormed, attended meetings with IT to develop a new app for claims retrieval & analysis. Tested, compared and contrasted between old and new underdevelopment app.
How this internship relates to what I learned in school
- Were able to apply some of the techniques and skills from MIS classes to my daily work:
- ETL techniques from Data Analytics class to clean data,
- UX approach from MIS 3535 to further improve an existing tool
- Flash research papers from MIS 2501 for new software proposal, etc.
- Excel skills from BA 2401 is fully utilized.