Section 001, Instructor: Laurel Miller

Weekly Question #7: Complete by October 26

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on October 26. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Give an example of a KPI – some sort of metric for performance – that you use on a regular basis? Briefly discuss how it conforms to the SMART criteria.

(For example, my car tells me its average gas mileage. This is specific and measurable – gas mileage is a precise measure. It is achievable – I can alter my driving to try to get better mileage. It’s relevant – gas mileage has an impact on my costs! And it’s time-variant, I can look at gas mileage over a week, or a day, or a month.)

36 Responses to Weekly Question #7: Complete by October 26

• Weight is a KPI that I use everyday. I’ve been trying to lose weight for awhile and have been successful; I’ve lost 50 lbs. I look at losing weight as a day by day activity because it’s easy to convince yourself you can’t do it if you try to do it all at once. I try to lose about .5 lb everyday, which is specific and measurable by using a scale. It is achievable; I’ve been losing about 5 lbs a week since I started or about .7 lbs a day. Weight is relevant as it affects my everyday health: social, mental, and physical. It’s also time-variant as I can look at what I’ve lost daily, weekly, monthly, etc.

• One KPI that I use almost daily are my grades in each class. Not only does it show my performance in each class, but my overall GPA in the university. It is specific and measurable because grades are calculated using assignments, so you can track how well you are doing. It is achievable because I can use my grades to change my study and work habits. It is relevant because my GPA could affect financial aid and future jobs. Grades are time-variant because I can track my grades by semester, week, etc.

• A KPI that I frequently use is the amount of sleep I get in a night. I have sleeping issues, so when I don’t get a good 6+ hours in, I become irritable, groggy, anxious, and stressed. Sleep enables me to perform better in my classes and contributes to an overall healthier lifestyle. I measure my sleep by calculating how many hours I get each night to see if I achieve my desired goal. The amount of sleep I get is very relevant to the way in which my body and mind functions throughout the day. Lastly, this KPI is time-phased because I track my sleep down to the hours I get each night.

• a KPI that I used and still use when I am home and not in school are wage raises for my job. When I was hired, my boss gave me a starting wage rate and told me that raises would be dependent on my job performance and that things like being early for shifts, being focused, and having a strong work ethic would benefit me in my earnings. It’s specific and measurable because I would have goals for reaching a certain wage and measure it by adding the amount of my raise to my initial wage rate. It’s achievable because my actual initial wage rate was 9.25/hr and since only being there for a year and a half, I’ve managed to get my wage rate to 11.75/hr through numerous .25 or .50 raises. It’s relevant because working is how I’m able to afford things and survive and it’s time variant because I can track how long it takes me to earn a raise each time.

• One KPI that I use on a regular basis is my school GPA, as it measures my overall school performance for the semester. This KPI fits the SMART criteria because GPA is a specific measure that tells you your overall grades for the year, and it is also achievable because if I study more, my GPA will most likely get better. Additionally, GPA is certainly a relevant measure, as a higher GPA is a major influence on the salary and prestige of my future post grad job. Finally, GPA is time variant, I can look at GPA over this semester only, or I could take all my semesters together to get a broader idea of my academic success.

• One KPI that I use on a regular basis is my GPA or grades. This keeps track off my overall performance in all of my classes. I can check my individual class grades as well. This goes along with the SMART criteria because the assignments that make up my grades are specific, and measurable. There is also an achievable aspect because the harder I work the more I am able to achieve. It is relevant because I am going to need to attend graduate school and in order to get accepted into a school, they will track my GPA. Lastly, it is time variant because I can view my GPA and grades from semesters in the past, current, or cumulative.

• The KPI I use most often and is probably most important to my life is the amount of money in my bank account. It determines how I am preforming in my fiscal responsibilities to myself. The higher it is, the better I’m doing. This fulfills the SMART criteria in the following ways:

SPECIFIC- Nobody else has access to my account, so this number is specific to me.
    MEASURABLE- The data is measured in dollars that I own.
    ACHIEVABLE- I definitely can afford all aspects of my life as long as I budget properly.
    RELEVANT- How much money I have to my name is relevant to telling if I’m meeting my budgetary goals.
    TIME BASED- Most of my bills and income are paid on a monthly basis.

• One KPI that I use on day to day basis is battery performance for my electronic devices. Until recently, almost everyone has some sort of electronic devices to make calls, type document, make payments, listen to music and people are heavily dependent on their electronic devices, thus electronic devices needs to be recharged one every two days, or even daily. I always keep attention to the battery level of my watch, laptop, phones and earphones (wireless). This fulfills the smart criteria in such ways

Specific: most of my electronic devices are protected with some sort of pin/ password, which granted me access to use them
    Measurable: The data is measured in ways such as percentage of battery life or the amount of time the battery can power your devices
    Achievable: I can fully recharged all my devices and have enough battery to last for a day without worrying of not enough battery for the day
    Relevant: The amount of charged batteries in my electronic devices can give satisfaction personally
    Time Based: The batteries inside electronic devices will deplete after I use them and thus the amount of juice in the battery varies each day or even minutes apart.

• The most important KPI I use is my bank account. Since I still work on weekends I have to keep an eye on what I am buying and if I am still saving more money than I am spending. It also relates to each of the SMART criteria.
    Specific- My bank account refers only to me and how much I make
    Measurable- Measurable in dollars.
    Achievable- Making sure I save more than I spend every month.
    Relevant- The amount of money I have reflects how well I stick to my budget.
    Time Based- The amount of money I have to spend monthly compared to how much I make.

• One KPI that I use daily is the winning games per season of my favorite football team. I use this KPI to make up my fantasy football league every year. This KPI is important because it lets me know what team is performing at an optimal level which gives me the necessary information to choose my teams.

• I enjoy examining sport statistics and there are many different KPI’s evident in sports. The on I am going to describe in answering this question is in the NBA they use PPG (points per game) to describe how many points per game a player scores.
    SMART criteria:
    Specific- The PPG statistic refers to only one specific player’s statistic.
    Measurable- The PPG statistic is measured in points per game.
    Relevant- The higher the PPG the more money and more successful the player becomes. Thus PPG is very relevant to an NBA player’s career.
    Time Based- The PPG statistic is based on a game to game basis.

• One of the KPIs that I use all the time are my grades for school. Whether it’s the grade I receive on individual grades like assignments and exams or the final grades for classes. My grades conform to the SMART criteria in a few ways. I can be specific and look at each individual assignment, (measurable) and since each assignment is graded and I can see what classes I have to focus more on(achievable). I’ll study more for these classes and ask for additional help if I need to. Grades are put in all the time, so the the time base is the whole semester.

• KPI I use most frequently is the number of steps I walked each day. I use mobile application, “SAMSUNG HEALTH” to count it.

This KPI is specific and measurable: The sensor on my mobile phone counts the number of steps automatically and I can check how long and how many steps I walked. It also translates the measure to calories I used.
    Achievable: I can check the KPI any time I want and I can try my best to walk as much as possible. For example, I can use stairs instead of elevator if I think my number of steps is not enough.
    Relevant: This KPI is directly related to my health and exercising. By walking a lot, I can make my metabolism active and although I don’t have enough time to go to gym, I can do enough exercise.
    Time-variant: I can check total step I walked each day at the end of the day(12 am) and I can even compare it with other days.

• KPI I use daily is the amount of water I drink each day. I use an app to track how much water I should drink based on my height and weight. This KPI is specific because I have to put in my height and weight and it tells me what a person my size should drink each day. It is measurable in oz, liters etc. it adds up the water as I input it. It is achievable because I can check how much water I drink and make sure I meet the goal all the time and if I don’t I know I need to drink more water. It is relevant because it is related to my health and by me drinking water I know I am hydrated enough for my body type. It is time-variant because I can check this app anytime, add the amount of water I drink and compare it to others of the week.

• KPI I use most frequently is my online bank account. This follows the SMART criteria by being specific and measurable in the dollar amount, achievable by budgeting the money you allocate for each day, relevant to how much money you spend each day, and timely because you have to plan when you will need more money than usual.

• A KPI I use on a regular basis is an app that records the amount of time I study in the tech center or library. This can help give me an idea of how I’m doing in my classes, based on how much time I spend studying. This information is also time-variant because it records both hours spent studying per day and per week.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is my bank account balance. It is important to me to always monitor the balance in order to find out if I am spending too much, if I can afford to spend a little more, or if I am right on track.
    Specific: Refers to my personal account and shows exactly how much I deposit, spend, etc.
    Measurable: Amounts are measured in dollars and cents. I can also number the amounts of each transaction
    Achievable: I can change my spending habits to get more out of my money
    Relevant: I am spending money on a regular basis and it impacts what I can buy in the future
    Time: I can look at my spending and deposit history over a month and see if there are areas where I can spend less money or save more.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is one on my phone that tells me where the most battery percentage is being lost on my phone (which apps are using the most battery life). It measures the percentage I use on each app and even the time spent just having my phone on the home screen. This KPI can help me to balance the apps that I am using the most so it can keep my phone from dying as fast as it usually does.

• My iPhone battery percentage is a KPI I use everyday. It is specific because only my individual battery is displayed. It is measurable out of 100%. It is relevant because my phone battery dictates how long I can use my phone, which I often use to communicate with my friends and family, send work-emails, and check my grades.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is the battery percentage on my phone and laptop. Being a college student, most of time I use my phone and laptop throughout the whole day.
    Specific: showing my personal percentage
    Measurable: the percentage goes from 1% to 100%
    Achievable: rechargeable
    Relevant: it shows how much or little I’ve been on my device
    Time: how much time you have left using the device

• I regularly use my grades on tests and assignments as a KPI. They are specific, written clearly as a percent and therefore easily measurable. They can be set as goals and therefore achievable, as well as relevant and time oriented by being broken down into semesters in at Temple working toward graduation.

• A KPI I use on a daily basis is the amount of money I spend a day on food. It is specific and measurable because it can be measured by keeping the receipts and looking at the specific amount of money I spent. It can be achieved because I can budget the amount of money I spend on food and limit my spending or work more often to make more money. It’s relevant because eating is something we do every day and sometimes the quickest way to obtain food is buying it ready to go. It is time-variant because I can measure the amount I’m spending whether it’s in a day or it’s in a month.

• A KPI that is used in my everyday life are my school grades. They are very specific by class and by teacher. They are also measurable by the amount of points I have received for that class. They are extremely relevant if I want to do well in school. They are also achievable if I set realistic expectations for myself.

• A KPI that i use in my daily life is keeping track of the amount of money i make from work every week. This is specific and measurable because every Friday I receive a check with a certain amount of money on it, depending on how many hours I had worked that week, and I know exactly how much I made. It is achievable, because I want to be able to balance how much money I put into my savings, versus how much money I put into checking. It is relevant because I look forward to receiving my check every Friday, and I base my weekly spending off of how much I make and how much I anticipate that I will make. It’s time variant because I receive it around the same time on every Friday of each week.

• A KPI that I use daily are my grades in each class. It is specific, because the grades are mine, and are different for each class. I can measure my grades based off of their percentage number, making them measurable. It is achievable because my study habits and time spent in an individual class will affect my grades. It’s relevant, because my grade will reflect my effort and skill in that respective class. It is also time variant, as my grades will change every time a new assignment gets completed.

• A KPI that I use daily is checking my bank account frequently. It is specific because it tells me what have been spending my money on. I can measure around what time of the month I tend to use my card the most. It is achievable because I want to save more spend less. It is relevant because as I start to budget I will see less withdrawls. Its time variant because as my money sits my interest will build up.

• A KPI that is relevant in my life is test scores. It is specific because it shows how much material I have learned. It is measurable because it can also tell me how many questions that I got correct. This is achievable because I can improve on lower scores. It is relevant because it effects my overall GPA. Lastly, it is time variant because the more time that I put into a class, the higher my score will be.

• A KPI i use the most is the battery life on my IPhone. I usually start the day with a 100% percent battery and wait till my phone goes to 10% before I recharge the phone. I can see where I used my battery the most. On a daily base I mostly use my phone for music when I am in my car as well as school. The other percentage are for applications such as social media and the internet where I look up information or memes.
    This is a SMART criteria because it is Specific on shows the percentage of usage spent in a day. Measurable because the phones battery varies from 1-100%. It is Achievable because when the battery is low I can recharge it. It is Relevant because it shows how I use my battery everyday. It is Time because I can see the percentage I have left on the phone.

• A KPI that I frequently use to see how well someone is doing in a basketball game is shooting percentage. Shooting percentage is specific and can be measured using a percentage value. Also its indisputable, relevant to how well a player is playing and can be taken over periods of time.

• An example of a KPI is my Discover card.
    Specific: this card on affects me and how much I spend on it.
    Measurable- I can measurable it in dollars.
    Achievable- I make sure I am not running up to high of a credit bill and that I pay it off on time.
    Relevant- The amount of money I spend(or borrow) is based off of what I need and how many hours I work each week.
    Time Based- I pay my credit card bill each month.

• KPIs that I use frequently are fitness goals. I have a note book that I use to record my exercises from the week prior. I will increase/decrease my weight and reps, depending on the goal that I have set for the up-and-coming months. My goal currently is to get stronger in my bench and squats; I can do this by increasing my weight and doing lower reps.

• An example of KPI that I use on a regular basis is GPA. It is specific and measurable because it is the measurement of my academic performance while at Temple. I can work harder to achieve a higher GPA, or not work as hard and my GPA will drop. It is relevant because it is a key part of a resume. It is also time-phased because it is updated after every semester.

• An example of KPI that I use daily is how many minutes I walk, I tried to get at least an hour of walking every day. I have an Android app that monitor how many steps and how many minutes I walk on a daily basis. I believe that this walking activity consists of all of the SMART criteria components.

• A KPI that I use on a daily basis would be my GPA, this helps me understand my performance overtime as I can compare my GPA from semester to semester to track my progress and determine the most effective study methods for me. This KPI is a measure that is regularly updated that specfically pertains to my performance in school making it match the SMART criteria. My goal is to have a 3.0 or higher as this is what I and many other future employers consider as a “good” GPA.

• A KPI that I used on a daily basis is weight. Not just my own personal body weight, but weight used for exercises in the gym. Being an athlete in college, it is important to keep a close eye on both of these things, as it indicates how I will perform on the ice. My goal is to maintain or lose .5 pounds a week, depending on how my weight is currently looking, as well as increasing weight for workouts, making it specific and achievable. It is time variant as well, as both numbers will increase/decrease over time.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is my step counter on my fitbit. This is a KPI because it specifically measures my daily steps, lets me know when I attain the recommended amount, is relevant to my everyday life because I do not have a car so I walk most places, and is based in time since its daily.