Section 001, Instructor: Laurel Miller

Weekly Question #11: Complete by November 30

Leave your response to the question below as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 30. It only needs to be three or four sentences.

What was the most important takeaway (from your perspective) from this course? If you had to explain to a future MIS0855 scholar what this course was about, what would you say?

35 Responses to Weekly Question #11: Complete by November 30

• The most important takeaway I gained from this course is a clearer, more holistic understanding of data analysis, the tools used, and how data analysis permeates multiple aspects of our everyday lives. If I had to explain this course to a future scholar, I would say that MIS0855 focuses on methods of storing, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data through many different methods. Students will also come to understand the importance of Data Science across numerous fields of study.

• The most important takeway from this class in my opinion is the approach on how to write reports with tableau. The technical aspects in correcting data, creating new report with tableau and hands on approach into sentiment analysis has added much important skills. At work I learn quite a bit on the admin side of data analytical dealing with IBM Cognos and its nook and cranny. In this class, I actually learn on developing functional report.

• The biggest takeaway from this course were the definitions of technology words I got to learn. Things like “big data”, “regression analysis”, “sentiment analysis”, and “hypothesis testing” are just a few. This course is really about a broad overview of the numerous trends and techniques going on in the data world. Additionally, it had a hands on work with tableau and excel and a few other programs.

• The biggest takeaway from this course I notice is my new skills involving tableau. This course was the first time I was given the opportunity to be exposed to tableau. This course showed me how dynamic tableau is and how useful it can be in numerous amounts of situations. I’ve also noticed tableau a lot more in my internet searches and since I was exposed to it I can use it to its fullest potential.

• The most important takeaway from this course is that we learned how to properly display data to readers. Using Tableau and Excel, we learned that there is much more to data displays that pie charts and pretty colors. The skills learned in this class can be applied to all majors when it comes to doing projects, not just business or tech people. This course gives you a solid intro to Excel and Tableau, two skills that you probably would not learn in other gen-ed courses.

• My biggest take away from taking this course would probably be the ability to read and analyze data and learning to be able to make something out of data and comprehend it. Before this class, I had never heard of Tableau, but this course has given me the basic knowledge of how to maneuver Tableau if I ever needed to for a potential job in the future. Also in this course, I was able to explore all the different options in Excel that I didn’t know existed before.

• The most important takeaway from this course to me is Tableau. I liked the hands-on aspect of the course because it allows you to get comfortable using other programs which we can use in our other courses and future jobs. If I had to explain to a future MIS0855 scholar what this course was about I would tell them it’s about learning what big data is and how to use all of this data by making reports, cleaning it etc.

• The most important takeaway for me from this course is how much better my ability to manipulate and analyze data has gotten. With new knowledge on tools such as Tableau, Piktochart, and others, I feel I can better use data to support my theories and other reports I create. This class is mostly about developing hands-on skills with programs such as excel, Tableau, Piktochart, and how to use these tools to analyze data. This class also focuses on being able to find credible sources of data, and the different ways data can be interpreted: through sentiment analysis, regression analysis, descriptive analysis, and more.

• What I found to be the most important takeaway from this course was learning that data is not always objective and accurate. As seen in the data cleaning exercises we did, sometimes just making sure the data is accurate and if not, fixing it, can take up as much time and effort as analyzing it. In explaining this course to a future MIS student, I would say that this class focuses on explaining how big data is essentially everywhere, and how you should approach it. I would also mention how you become familiarized with excel and tableau as they were significant programs in the course and obviously very valuable skills to learn.

• I chose this course because I am thinking about majoring MIS. (I’m still business undecided. I haven’t decided my major yet) I thought it is a great chance to check I’m interested in this major or not and it’s really what I want. And my expectation was really right. Every ‘In-class exercise’, assignments, quizzes were really helpful and I could generally learn what MIS is. Moreover, the class was really well structured. Professor precisely tell us what we should do every week and give a lot of help doing homework. Sometimes, there were several tough questions on the assignments but activities in the class were really helpful. I really recommend this class to students who want to study MIS for the first time or who really want to know what MIS is.

• The most important takeaway from this course is how I was taught real life applications to mining data, in which that is the industry I am immersing myself. Being able to use technologies like Tableau, which is used often in the real world, is invaluable experience to be able to learn in a class. I would absolutely recommend this course for anyone that wants to truly get something out of a class, and wants to make themselves a more valuable asset and boost your resume.

• The most important takeaway from this class was learning piktochart while doing the Data Analytics Challenge. I have used piktochart ever since the challenge, and it has improved my presentations not only in MIS but other Fox classes. Being able to display data in a way that is understandable to the viewer, provides the presenter with more credibility because of the professionalism in the way it looks. I would recommend this course for students looking for an edge to set themselves apart from other students. It is not an easy course, but I believe the skills learned in Data Science can overall provide you with more opportunity than the other classes at this level.

• The most important thing I have learned from this course is specially what data is & how to work better with excel. I feel as though I have a much better understanding at what data specially is than I have before. I would say this course is about learning how to handle data by doing things like cleaning it or being able to apply data to something like Tableau.

• One aspect of the course I feel was important to learn was using Tableau. Excel can do so many things in terms of organizing and analyzing data, but it is still very limited. Tableau provides much more opportunities to transform and analyze data that Excel just can’t do. Many employers are looking for students who have some knowledge in Tableau so this course provided a tremendous opportunity to learn the program. Future students should know that this course is all about what data. That being said, it is not just a course where one learns definition after definition on the subject of data science. It is about actually working with data on various programs such as Excel, Tableau, and even Piktochart.

• The most important takeaway I have is that data is everywhere. Everything is data, and different parallels and relationships can be drawn between seemingly unrelated factors. Additionally, I feel much more comfortable with Tableau, Excel and Piktochart. Overall this is a very beneficial course, I would recommend it to anyone who expects a future that involves any type of reading information. Even though its a GenEd, MIS0855 has tremendously helped prepare me for the real world.

• The most important takeaway from this course for me was my understanding of data. This was my first business/science course and I was very uneducated with how widespread data is. We can find data in anything, even real life situations and I never even thought about that before. I also did not know how untrustworthy data can be, how to apply data, cleaning data, etc. I definitely am leaving this course with a much better understanding.

• The biggest takeaway that I have learned in this class is that the world has become technology and data dependent. Data analytics is resourceful in all industries, businesses, etc. If I were to explain MIS 0855 to a future student, I would explain that this class is the first step in learning how to understand, clean, and analyze data – things everybody will soon have to know how to do.

• The most important takeaway that I have learned in this class is the usefulness of displaying data. We have learned that data can be found anywhere so it applies to every single major. But how the person chooses to display the data is important. There are so many ways to do so between Tableau and Excel. Displays of data can be useful in future business meetings or projects.

• The most important thing I learned from this course is understanding data and the many factors that go into it. The different versions of data like open data or the numerous cleanings you have to do it makes me understand the importance of data analytics more. I also would like to highlight using tableau as another important topic I learned for I had no clue what it was before this course. Plus by using tableau I can create different conclusions in different forms of graphs and visualizations.

• The most important thing that I will take away from this course is all of the new skills I learned with Microsoft Excel and Tableau. These two programs (especially Excel) are super useful tools to have knowledge of. Learning how to make data visualizations and charts and graphs through Tableau is such a great skill to have going forward. Also, just learning about how data is literally everywhere, and we have no idea just how much data is truly available to us.

• The most important takeaway from this course is learning how to understand and work with data. I have never worked with the programs, or data in general until this class. So after learning how to use them, I can say that I have learned a lot about data. I would recommend this to students who are interested in gaining a skill on working with data using different types of programs.

• The biggest takeaway from this class, I would say is that data has so many functions and that it is everywhere.There are hundreds of different variations of data and what it means changes from place to place. There are many ways to work with data and to understand it and that is the most important thing about taking this class has taught me.

• The most important takeaway I got from this class is to look over your data. It is so easy to make a simple error when importing or recording data. This simple mistake could skew/ruin complete data sets. Going along these lines, having your data clean and organized is the best way to prevent or catch data errors. If you want to learn more about computer systems and how to use them properly, MIS 0855 is a great course to do so.

• The most important takeaway that I’ve gotten from this course is how much better I’ve become at analyzing and interpreting data. With my newly acquired knowledge in Tableau, Piktochart, and even Excel, I feel more comfortable with my abilities to manipulate data, and draw more accurate predictions and conclusions from it. This course is all about getting more comfortable with data, and learning to analyze and manipulate it.

• From my perspective, the most important takeaway from this course was discovering how further insights can be gained through data visualizations and graphs. Along with this, I believe that the multiple Excel assignments and exercises allowed me to improve my skills in this area. I will be able to utilize these skills in Excel i n real life scenarios. Overall, I was able to see how almost anything in this world can be quantified and studied scientifically.

• The biggest takeaway from this course and what I learned was using Tableau. Before the course I didn’t know anything about Tableau and I had never heard it before but after using it for a while I learned it is better and easier to use. This class taught me how to use Tableau and Excel and how important the programs are in real life. This class was a introduction to show how important data is and you can use it for a lot of future projects.

• The most important take away that I got from this course was the skill of looking at data and being able to extract something from it. Being that I would like to have focus on social media in my future profession, it is pretty imperative that I have MIS knowledge and this class helped me to get the basics. If I were to explain this class I would say that it is a course focused on taking large datasets, organizing them, and drawing conclusions from the numbers.

• I have to say the most important thing I took away from this class is knowing and understanding how crucial data is in our everyday lives. Not only how to read it, but how to organize, use, and reject it as well. This class demonstrated just how important it is to be clear and concise when dealing with data, especially large sets of it.

• The most important take away I got from this course is the ability to get big sets of dirty data and to clean it sufficiently. Before this class I did not know there was dirty data everywhere such as, Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, etc.. If I had to explain this course to a student I would say this course is to help you get comfortable with recognizing data and viewing such.

• The most important thing that I will take away from this course is how to clean up data. There are so many “dirty” data sets in the world and I believe that it is important to get the most out of a data set. If I had to explain this course to a student I would describe it as dealing with data. It is important to learn how to read data, write data, and interoperate data.

• The most important takeaway from this course is how to analyze and interpret data. You can input data into programs such as Tableau or Excel and get results back from them. There are various ways to understand the data that you are reading, as well as different ways to show someone else who may not understand the data in a way that it clicks with them so to say. If I had to explain this class to a future student taking Data Science, I would have to say that taking this class will enable them to be prepared for future courses and a career. The programs they use will further expand their knowledge and can give them a competitive edge that others who don’t take the course won’t have.

• The most important takeaway from this course in my opinion is the practical training on software that you may not have encountered before this class. They allow the user to not only recognize trends in data, but put them together in order to get a more complete story. The training in this class is generalized enough to be applied to just about any data set, and as a result students who take this course have a significant leg up against those who do not.

• I believe that data analytics is an important skill to have in a business career. You will be able to work with data and be able to analyze data in order to make an informed decision. If you would like to succeed in your career, the more you know Excel, the more you practice daa analytics and Tableau, and other data analytics skills, the better it is for stepping up the ladder in your career.

• My biggest takeaways from this course were learning how to clean, manipulate, analyze and present data. Data analyst can make sound decisions when looking at a companies/ client’s data set. MIS 0855 teaches future scholar the fundamentals and importance of accurate data reporting.

• This course has greatly developed my ability to analyze and visualize data properly through the cleaning of said data and the creation of graphics to communicate the patterns found in the data. Previous to this course I had no experience with Tableau, however now it is a tool I feel comfortable using when trying to visualize patterns in data. If I were to tell another student about this course I would tell them that this course will help them develop their analytics skills which has been cited as one of the major skill area’s employers are looking at today. After taking this course you will feel comfortable working with large data sets, visualizing trends, and leave with much better understanding of the science behind understanding big data.