Instructor: David Schuff, Section 001

Weekly Question #9: Complete by April 7, 2016

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 7, 2016. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Here is the question:

Think about a data-driven service that you use regularly (i.e., Blackboard, Amazon.com, Facebook). Imagine you want to store the data for that service in a spreadsheet – what would each row in the spreadsheet represent? What would some of the data columns be?

(For example, Yelp.com stores restaurant reviews. A row would be an individual review, and some columns would be the name of the restaurant, the type of food they serve, the address, the star rating, and the name of the reviewer.)

53 Responses to Weekly Question #9: Complete by April 7, 2016

• For blackboard, a row could be each course we are registered in. Some columns could be assignments, grades, PDFs, homework, class notes, etc. The types of labels we use for rows and columns vary for different services depending what each data-driven service measures.

• For Amazon:

Each row would be a product. Columns could include product_id, order_id, price, quantity, product_category, purchase_date, delivery_date, customer_name, customer_id, etc.

• A common data driven service that I use is Twitter. Twitter stores “tweets”. A row could be the tweet and the columns could be whether the tweet was tweeted, retweeted or liked.

• If Blackboard information was transferred to a spreadsheet, the main categories that would be represented would include exams, quizzes, and assignments for each class. The columns would list the courses I’m enrolled in, and the rows would include the different types of grades I earn. Then the spreadsheet would be filled in as I receive the grades.

• I would like to turn Facebook into a spreadsheet. So my columns could possibly be my top 5 friends whose pages I visit frequently (one friend per column). Then the rows could be how many total likes on statuses/pictures I clicked on their page, How often they are on facebook in a 24 hour period and how many mutual friends we have.

• Youtube is one of the data driven services of which most of the data is in video form. If Youtube videos are to be transferred to spreadsheet form, there would definitely be divided into two types of filters: Quantitative and Qualitative information. The rows would represents the name of each videos and its relevant information. The column would be the filter information. Qualitative information filter: Types of video (Informational, TV Show, Music Videos, News), Youtuber Channel (Who post the video), Quality of Video (360, 720, 1080). Quantitative information filter: Length of video, Date and Time Video was posted, Number of Views, Number of Likes / Dislikes, …

• At my internship, I work with a database that contains contract records. For each row, it would be a specific contract number. For the columns: contract amount, contract date, company performing under the contract, period of performance, will be included.

• I often use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor to record my workouts. If the data was recorded into a spreadsheet, the columns would be type of workout, duration of workout, calories burned, max heart rate, and average heart rate.

• A data driven website I use regularly is ESPN.com. If I were to store the data on a spreadsheet, some of the rows could represent the teams that I follow, and the different columns could be different types of news and stats. Examples being recent game results, player injuries, trades, etc.

• For Amazon.com. A row can be the brief description of a product. The columns can be the specific price of the product; quantity of products; Customer Scoring of the product; order status of the product and reference number of the product. But all data should based on different data-driven service.

• If you were to turn Blackboard into a spread sheet the rows would be the class you are in and the columns would be your homework grades, quiz grades, and test grades. Some class do not have graded homework where some classes do, in the example you would just leave the homework grade blank in the row of the class that does not grade homework.

• A commonly used data service is Google Maps. The rows would be the trip number and the columns would be starting destination, ending destination, departure time, arrival time, and date.

• I find myself commonly using zillow, as I am a realtor. Spreadsheets organizing the data contained within individual listings I’m sure initially exists in spreadsheet form. I would expect the columns to be, #beds, #baths, Square Feet, price, acreage, year built, type of air conditioning, type of residence and other quantifiable pieces of data. The rows would be the individual properties addresses.

• A data-driven service I use regularly is Blackboard. Rows could be your current classes for this semester. While columns could be, your teacher, time and days, your grade, credits, and location. There are many possibilities for this service.

• If the data from my Blackboard could be put into an excel spreadsheet, some column titles could be: Exams, Quizzes, Homeworks, Projects, and/or Letter Grade. Some row titles could be: weighted score, unweighted score, or even percentage.

• A site like e-bay may create a spreadsheet for transactions. Each user may have both sales and purchase transactions. The rows would consist of individual transactions. The columns would be comprised of: user id, transaction type, product category, product condition, UPC, MPN, price paid, date of transaction, date of delivery, date posted, star rating, bought “now” vs. bought “auction”, number of people watching, shipping charges, payment type, return policy, e-bay guarantee, number of views, number of reviews, number of questions asked, number of questions answered.

• If Facebook would turn into a spreadsheet, the rows would be names of users. And the columns would be their posts and personal information.

• If I were to turn Blackboard into a spreadsheet, the name of the rows would be: Grades, Courses, Professors, Meeting Time, and Credit Received. The data in the columns would include all the classes I’ve taken since my freshmen year at Temple, the grades I’ve received, the professors I’ve had, the times I had my courses, and whether or not I received credit for those courses.

• For Facebook, a row could be an individual status update, and the columns could say: Person’s Name, Time Posted, Location Posted From, and Post (the post itself).

• One data driven service that I can easily transform into an excel spreadsheet is the famous social network facebook. One way that I would organize this data in columns is that I can signify each column to a specific person. Each row would signify all the posts, pictures videos, articles, etc… that each person post.

• One data-driven service I started using recently is GrubHub. If I would store the data on GrubHub in a spreadsheet. The rows would store data about the restaurants that deliver to Temple University. The columns would have data about their price range, their hours of operation, their delivery fees, the type of food they sell and the number of reviews they have.

• LinkedIn:
    Columns: userid, userfirstname, userlastname, location, numconnections, numberlogins, avgsessionlenght
    Rows: a specific user

• Blackboard can be used as a very good example for that. Each row would represent a class I am registered in for a semester. Each column would represent things like exams, assignments, participation, quizzes, or homework. There are a couple of variations possible with other information. For example, the rows could represent every class for eight semesters not only for one.

• A data-driven source that I normally use is MapQuest. The rows would simply be what number the current trip was and the columns would be the starting place, the destination, what time I lleft, what time I would arrive, the route taken, and the tolls on the route.

• For Blackboard, each row would be the classes I signed up for and each column would have my assignments, tests, and overall grade for each class.

• A data-driven source I regularly use is a website called Coaching Actuaries that helps me to study for actuarial exams. The website provides online quizzes and exams and provides scores and feedback for each one. If this data were converted to a spreadsheet, each row would be a specific quiz/exam, and the columns would display time taken to complete, amount of questions correct, time per question, type of question correct, what areas need to be worked on, and level of difficulty.

• A data driven website that I use regularly is LinkedIn Jobs. If I were to convert each job posting into a spreadsheet, each row would be the title of the position and some of the columns would include the name of the company, the location of the job, the salary the job offers, and the number of years of experience needed.

• A website that I use frequently that is data-driven is amazon.com. If I were to place all of the data I look at into an excel file, the columns would be what item I looked at, what department it was under, the price of the item, and then whether I purchased it or not. This data could be used to see if there is a correlation between me window shopping certain departments more than others, and also what my spending habits are.

• For example, if Amazon were putting some of their data into an Excel spreadsheet, Amazon can organize it as such, the rows contain each customer has ever purchased from their website. And the columns will contain characteristics of the customers and purchase habit, and the columns will have consumer’s names, area code, geographic region, email address, home address, and frequency of purchase, the total dollar amount spent up to date. Amazon may need separate sheet just for their customer’s purchase and renting of the products from its distribution website, in this sheet the row would be the name of the item, and the columns are consist of the identification code, color, type of material are made, price of the item.

• For Amazon:
    You could have the products price, similar products people bought, the categories of products, different departments, shipping rates, your account information, your items sold on amazon.

• A data driven source I use would be shopping on Nike.com. For this i could make the rows the product and the columns could include category, price, quantity, total price, customer name, and shipping type.

• An example of a data driven service i use regularly is twitter. If twitter’s data were to be shown in a spreadsheet, each row could be a twitter user, and each column could represent a reply, like, retweet or share. Another way twitter’s data could be represented is by using rows for individual trending hashtags, and the columns could be the different types of users tweeting out that hashtag.

• For Twitter, I guess each row would have to be a different tweet. There would be a column for the text of the tweet, one for the user’s tag and another for their unique @, the time stamp, date, and location, when location settings are turned on. There would need to be a tweet number to allow for direct links such as when someone replies to another’s tweet. There would be a column for number of favorites(likes), retweets, and replies. There would be a column that indicates each tweet’s origination as either mobile or from a computer, often getting as specific as the model of phone.

• For a site like Amazon a row could be the products. And you would have productID, productName, orderID, price, quantity, customerID, customerName, sellerID, sellerName, promotion_type, receiver_address, and so on.

• I work as a Peer Advisor for the Fox School of Business, so I use the Student Information Menu and Advisor Menu on Self-Service Banner. If I wanted to store the data for that service in a spreadsheet a row would be student information, and some columns would be the name of the student, TUID, the student’s major and minor, credit count, and date of graduation.

• Facebook can have a spreadsheet on excel to portray usage of the site. They will have columns for time spent, areas used, the activity, and the communication between users. This data can provide answers to where to put ads, and also provide insight on the attention span of the users. Knowing this information will allow you to understand the timing of ads, and what intrigues the users.

• If you used blackboard you could make each row a different class and the columns could represent assignments, the major of each class, the teacher, and the grade

• I use Spotify to listen music all the time, I am able to find almost any album or artists for free. Each row would be a different song title. Each column would would have artist, album, year it came out, and how many times I listen to the song.

• I used Kindle Store recently, the data would be stored in the spreadsheet can be the book informatoin.
    A row can be the book name, the columns will be the data published, publisher, ISBN, price, and tags of the book that indicate the type of content

• A data-driven service I use is the Yahoo Sports mobile application to keep track of sports scores on my phone. Turning this application into an excel spreadsheet would lead to many spreadsheets. One sheet would include the scores of each game with the home team, the away team, the period/quarter, and time elapsed. Another sheet would keep track of the individual team players and their stats. For a basketball game, that table would include columns such as points scored, minutes played, rebounds, assists, and free throws.

• A flight planning app called ForeFlight that I use to plan flights in a small Cesna can be turned into a spreadsheat. The columns would be the flight plan (i.e. flight plan 1, flight plan 2, etc) and the rows would be the details such as departure airport, runway, which aircraft, pilot in command, destination, weather patterns, communication channels, etc.

• A data-driven service I use regularly, would be an an application called Social Ladder. Social Ladder allows companies to monitor brand ambassadors and their efforts, and give them a quantitative way to evaluate their performance. The rows would be the individual brand ambassador, and the columns would be tickets sold, facebook posts completed, instragram posts completed, twitter posts completed, additional efforts, total points. Each column would receive a numerical value of points per completed task/sold ticket.

• I use blackboard religiously so making a spreadsheet for it would make complete sense. For each column I would put a title whether it be grades, classes, quick links for the syllabus. The rows would list all that information such as my grades and percentages in classrooms.

• For blackboard:

Columns would be courses. The courses would each fill an individual column. Down the rows would be grades on exams etc. This would run a problem with muddying the spreadsheet as certain classes have assignments others do not. Therefore, rather than listing individual assignments, simply assignment 1 could be used then extrapolated for all classes. The last row would be the overall course grade.

• Everyday I use the app spodify for music. The data that can be used on a spreadsheet can be popularity, song title, song duration, and song rating for rows. The columns can be artist, album, playlist, and genres to sort all of the information about songs.

• I use iTunes music app a lot. Some rows that could be used would be playlists like car playlist, gym playlist, or dance playlist. The columns could then have the song name, the artists, the genre, the duration of the song, and the album the song is on.

• A data driven website that I use often is Amazon. The rows could be items viewed, and the columns could be things like price, whether the item is eligible for Amazon Prime or not, whether the item was purchased or not, and what category the item falls under.

• I use Etsy a fair amount for selling my crafts. The rows might be item listings and shop names. The columns may be price, quantity, and rating.

• I use Facebook on a daily basis and believe it falls into the data driven website definition. I would set up the rows as individual people that you want to highlight on your news feed, and the rows will be their status updates, pictures, tags, etc.

• A data driven service I commonly use is Uber. If I imported the data into an excel spreadsheet, a row would be an individual ride and some of the columns would be the driver’s name, customer’s name, pick up address, drop off address, number of seats needed, and driver rating.

• I use amazon fairly often. The rows would be the individual item, the columns could be: price, product id, order number, product category, amazon prime eligibility, and purchase date.

• A data driven site that I use on occasion is Gatherer, a site that organizes all of the thousands and thousands of Magic; The Gathering cards for lookup. It would be nice to have rows for things like card sets or rarity, and maybe price, and columns would be information about the individual cards themselves, like converted mana cost or card type.

• For amazon i would put the avg. ratings of a certain product or product type as the row, and then the individual products themselves as the columns. I could also group items by departments. This would find what the best rated products are for each department. This could tell me what is most valuable to buy for what I am spending.

Leave a Reply to Parth H Patel Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *