Instructor: David Schuff, Section 001

Announcements

Don’t Forget: Complete the SFF Course Evaluations Online by April 27!

CourseEvals-620x273Don’t forget to complete the online course evaluation for this class!

You can access the ESFF site here. The deadline is April 27 (well, technically April 28 at 8:00 AM, but are you really going to get up early to do it?).

It only will take you five minutes, but it is important.

Some things about the course evaluations:

• Your feedback is anonymous.
  • I don’t get the results until after the semester is completely over.
  • I really look at the feedback and use it to make changes for future semesters.

Extra office hours this Friday

I will be holding extra office hours in case you need some extra help with Assignment 2 (Tableau).

The office hours will be Friday, February 12: 9:30-11:00. I am also available that day by appointment.

Over the weekend and Monday I will be available, as usual, by email for your questions.

Tuesday I will have my regularly scheduled office hours.

Guest Speaker on January 28: Maurice Whetstone, Director of Enterprise Data Management, QVC

2e598a0Our guest speaker next Thursday will be Maurice Whetstone (LinkedIn), Director of Enterprise Data Management at QVC. Enterprise Data Management at QVC consists of (1) Business Intelligence, (2) Enterprise Data Warehousing, and (3) Data Analytics. He will talk about how data is used to make better decisions at QVC.

Mr. Whetstone joined QVC in May, 2013.  Throughout his career Maurice has led initiatives in several areas including but not limited to Electronic Data Interchange (EDI), E-commerce, E-business, Intranets, Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Business Intelligence(BI), Big Data and Enterprise Data Warehousing at companies such as Lenox China, Coach Inc. and Urban Outfitters, Inc.

Maurice has worked with and/or supported tools such as Crystal Reports, Cognos, Business Objects, MicroStrategy, Tableau, SAS, & Microsoft SQL Reporting Services. He has worked with databases such as DB2/400, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Netezza and Teradata.

Read a little bit about QVC and Mr. Whetstone the class and come prepared to ask questions!

First week reminders!

I won’t be doing this every week, but I figured since we’re just getting started I’d lay out what’s coming up…

1. Complete the first weekly question. It must be done before the start of class on Thursday, January 21!
  2. Complete the first weekly reading quiz. It must be done before the start of class on Tuesday, January 19!
  3. Install Tableau as soon as you can. The license key has been posted to the gradebook.

See you next week!

Welcome to MIS0855!

Credit: VisitPhilly.com

The site is up, take a look around.

More material will be posted during the semester, but there’s enough here to get you started. Start with the course syllabus; make sure you read it carefully.

As you get ready for the semester to start, quench your thirst for data analysis by reading this article about New Year’s being America’s Fourth Favorite Holiday. It’s an example of how data can be used to tell a story, and a preview of many of the tools and techniques we will be discussing this semester.

See you soon!