Section 002, Instructor: Sezgin Ayabakan

Weekly Question #8: Complete by November 15

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 15,. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Think about a data-driven service that you use regularly (i.e., Blackboard/Canvas, Amazon.com, Facebook). Imagine you want to store the data for that service in a spreadsheet – what would each row in the spreadsheet represent? What would some of the data columns be?

(For example, Yelp.com stores restaurant reviews. A row would be an individual review, and some columns would be the name of the restaurant, the type of food they serve, the address, the star rating, and the name of the reviewer.)

48 Responses to Weekly Question #8: Complete by November 15

• One of the biggest issues we faced was deciphering all of the data. There was a huge amount of data which contained multiple errors and it was very difficult to pick my way through. Once the data was deciphered it went off without a hitch, but this initial challenge was very tough to overcome.

• I use blockchain.com to stay up to date with whats going on with the digital assets. A row would be transactions and height of blocks mined , and some columns would be number of transactions, blocks mined, number of digital asset sent.

• If I were to try and access the data from Blackboard, the columns would represent course, grades, assignments, and announcements. The columns would then have the name of the course, the grade in it, assignments, and the announcements as well as the names of the instructors/professors.

• I would use Amazon.com where the columns would be the departments, deals, browsing history, sign in, orders, cart. In each column starting with departments, includes all the categories where you can choose to buy something, the deals would have all the types of deals, the browsing history will show you what you have searched up, the sign in would show you a text box to enter username and password, the orders will show you orders, and the cart will show you what you have added to your cart.

• I would use Canvas where the columns will have the name of the course and professor, assignments that due or any future ones, grades from the homework, quizzes, and exams. This would be a representation of expectations of the course, and on my behalf what it takes to get an A.

• I’m in charge of emailing list for Temple Consulting Club. I keep track of attendance as well as active membership of students. Th columns are: Student Name, TUID, TUEmail, Graduated Year, Major. The rows are the data insert of attendees and upcoming active members of the club.

• I usually use WebAssign, the site that allows professors to assign the homework online. The score of the homework will be graded by computer, so I can see my score after I finish the assignments. I can rerecord my list of the score by creating each row for each assignment and columns for the number of homework, score, and date.

• I would want to store data in a spreadsheet for Canvas because the site informs me of upcoming assignments, current grade, and any announcement for class. The row would be the courses that I am currently taking. Some of the columns would be number of announcements, number of assignments, current grade, number of people in class, and number of files.

• A spreadsheet for Blackboard/Canvas could be one where the rows being the name of the class. The columns could be your grade in the class, attendance, homework, assignments, professor, and various worksheets. This data can be used to help keep track of someone’s performance in certain classes. Once their performances in each class is measured, it can then easily be compared to other classes a student is taking.

• If I want to store the data for Blackboard in a spreadsheet, the column would be the classes, grade for homework and test, name of the professor, the due date for the future assignments and assignments. The row would be the name for classes and professor, numbers for the grade of the test and assignments and the date for the assignments. This spreadsheet would help me have a clear view about my grades in different classes and the due data of assignments.

• A data-driven service that i often use is Canvas. If i wanted to store data for them in a spreadsheet, The column would be the courses, time, location and the name of the professor. The rows would be the attendance, assignments, tests, exams, and homework with the due dates.

• One data-driven source that I use a lot is Twitter. The columns would represent different twitter accounts/profiles and then the rows would be the different things that account has liked or retweeted. The rows could also represent the amount of likes a retweets that each individual post received. Columns could also represent different subjects of posts such as animals, politics, sports, etc instead of by profile.

• I choose Blackboard to store data for the information of the course, grade, location etc. The data I would like to place in the column section are grade, credit hour, time of the class, class location, instructor’s name, homework, and coming test date. For the row section, I will put in class name with its abbreviation and related semester. By placing data this way, student can have a clear look for their class, especially “homework” and “coming test date” can remind and let student be aware of their schedules. The “grade” column can provide student a measure of their performance.

• If I were using Blackboard data in Excel, the columns would be the class, and the rows would be my quiz, test, homework, and project averages for that class. This would help me keep track of all my grades at a glance.

• The Data driven service that I chose was Canvas. with this service you can store data for the information of the course, grade, location etc. The data I would place in the column section are grade, credit hour, time of the class, class location, instructor’s name, homework. In the row section, I would put in class name with its abbreviation and related semester. Making this would help the student stay more organize thus improving their academic performance.

• One data driven service I use is Amazon. A row would be the product I have ordered. The columns would be the cost of the order, the date it was ordered, the date it was shipped, the date it was received, and a review of the product.

• If I were using blackboard, some of rows would be grades, assignments, discussions, etc. The data columns would be the data pertaining to each row. This could include assignment names, assignment grades, assignment due dates, etc.

• I data-driven I use is Twitter, I would add users accounts in columns and in rows I would add a row for each: number of following, number of followers, number of tweets, number of tweets and replies, media, and likes.

• Email is a data-driven service I use multiple times throughout the day, almost every day. I think it would be organized in columns by the date the email was received, the time, the person who sent the email, everyone who received the email (if that information is not private), the subject, and maybe whether the email was sent as a personal email, an email from a source that you are subscribed to, or spam. I am not sure if the actual content of the email would be able to be organized into a single column because often times an email will include pictures, especially if its from a source like Amazon or iTunes.

• Amazon has a huge database, I use Amazon a lot. Every time I log in Amazon, the rows would be my account, orders, prime and shopping cart. The columns would be many types conditions or filters for the things I searched, like the price interval, the color, the brand and so on.

• I am willing to choose Canvas to store data about information of my academic study plan. In the row section, I would like to put the courses’ name and number. The data I would like to put in the column section are class’s time, location, professor’s information, and upcoming events such as homework and exams’ due date. Also, I prefer putting the semester’s information, like which semester I took this, and how many credit hours I earned from this course.

• I use blackboard everyday to check homework and my grades. For the rows, it would be grades, assignments and announcements whereas the columns would be the grade received for certain assignments, name of the assignments, and the specific date that the announcements have been made.

• I would use blackboard where the columns would have the name of the course, homework, assignment, grades, which tells me how I’m doing so far in each course and how I can get a better grade.

• Amazon is a data-driven service I use frequently. The column will be order number, shipped date, price of the product, delivered data, number of the products I bought and the review of the products. The row will be the name of the product.

• I would use Canvas to store data. Canvas will remain me the coming up assignments which i should finish them. In addition, i can see my grade on it and we can see how many tasks we finished recently. In some rows, it will show how many courses you are taking, and you can see the courses’ name and the professor’s name of them.

• I think that the rows would be user names or profile names. This would help since it should be user by user data not platform based. Each user would have data recorded in the columns about time on the platform, time of login, type of user, some measurement of activity, and maybe other credentials of the user depending on security.

• I use blackboard almost everyday.
    I would make the columns Grade, location, professor, credit hours worth. and then I would make the rows the names of classes. I could use this to track all the classes that I have taken and will take at Temple. Any other user could fill in his or her information as this is a very universal tool.

• I often use blackboard, and for a spreadsheet for blackboard the rows would represent the classes that i take. The columns would be my grades on tests, assignments, homework, and it would count attendance.

• I check my grades from blackboard everyday. If I were to create a spreadsheet for my personal grades to keep track, some columns would be attendance, homework, projects, quizzes, test, and overall score. Rows would consist of class title and professor name. I would insert the data into each field by putting in my grade for each specific column and taking the average for an estimated overall grade that I have so far in the semester.

• I use a Node Module called System information nearly everyday to map out the status of my server. It has many sheets available, but let’s take one example, si.cpu():
    it has these columns:
    manufacturer e.g. ‘Intel(R)’
    brand e.g. ‘Core(TM)2 Duo’
    speed in GHz e.g. ‘3.40’
    speedmin in GHz e.g. ‘0.80’
    speedmax in GHz e.g. ‘3.90’
    cores # cores
    vendor Vendow ID
    family Processor Family
    Model Processor Model
    stepping Processor Stepping
    revision Revision
    cache cache in bytes (object)
    cache.l1d L1D (data) size
    cache.l1i L1I (instruction) size
    cache.l2 L2 size
    cache.l3 L3 size

I use this data to map out every detail about the server.

• Amazon is a data-driven service I use frequently, the columns could be ordered day, price, quantity, color, size, delivered day, name of vender. And the row could be the name of the product.

• I use the ESPN Fantasy Football a lot during the NFL season and the app is full of data. Rows in the spreadsheet would contain different data, such as player name, player position, fantasy points scored, projected fantasy score, etc.

• If I were to attempt to organize my tweets I would create a spread sheet featuring Columns like Date, #Likes, #Retweets, tweet contents (text, .img, .mp3, video) and the tweet itself. This would allow me to better understand the performance of my tweets.

• If I were to attempt to organize my tweets I would create a spread sheet featuring Columns like Date, #Likes, #Retweets, tweet contents (text, .img, .mp3, video) and the tweet itself. This would allow me to better understand the performance of my tweets. the row would represent the overall performance.

• i have used canvas a lot since i started to study in college and the app provide me full data of courses. the row contain multiple of data such as name course, course number and the season of the course whereas the columns provide announcement, assignments, and grades and more. this would let me know better on how my course processing and if i doing well on the course. the row will let me know what course do i register for the semester or quarter.

• If I was storing data from twitter in an excel sheet I would use each account as the row. And in columns I would have their first and last name, number of tweets, number of likes and retweets, number of followers, number of people they follow, when the account was activated, and any links they may have to other social media accounts or websites.

• If I were to store data for Blackboard, the rows would be the different courses I’m taking. The columns would be major name… for example I wouk=ld put MIS for data science, professor name, class time, class grade, and course assignments.

• For Amazon, there will be users/order/product/address rows. And columns as following:

Users: user_id, age, address_id, order_id
    Order: order_id, user_id, product_id
    Product: prodcut_id, description
    Address: address_id, state, city, zip_code

• I work for Amazon so that’s easy for me. For columns I would put item number, name, description, if it’s prime or not, price, shipping, ratings.
    However, I would separate the rows by categories and departments.

• If I were to put data-driven information on a spreadsheet, it would depend what I am using. If I am using blackboard, I would use: course, section, teacher, grade, and assignments. If it is through a shopping site, I would use: Name, Item, Product Number, Quantitiy, and Price. For Facebook, I would just use friends, likes, pics, and etc.

• If I had to create a spreadsheet for Blackboard I would use rows to show each class. Along with this I would use the rows to show the course section, professor name etc. In the columns I would have each column represent information such as quiz average, test average, attendance, class participation grade, etc.

• On Amazon.com I tend to purchase many blu-rays. The rows for these purchases would be the name of the movies I purchased. The columns would include the price, year of release, rotten tomatoes score, type of blu-ray and genre of the movie. This is exactly what the data would look like if I were to implement it onto a spreadsheet.

• I like to buy a lot on Amazon.com. There would be multiple sheets of data that hold each category’s products. In each sheet, I would have product identification numbers, SKUs, prime status etc. If the product has reviews, I’d give each review an identification number and link it to a separate sheet with all the reviews in it.

• I use Amazon sometimes, the first page would be the brand of the product and the second page describe the product. For example, it will tell their customers the functions of this product, and the reviews of people who have bought.

• I would use Facebook. I would use their profile account in the column and I would add a few other rows for Facebook. I would use the numbers of friends they have. They number of people who want to become their friends. How many post they have. Also, how many pictures they post. Lastly how many statuses they like.

• Blackboard would be one having rows of all your classes. Then having columns would be one for your grades, attendance, due dates for homework, quizzes etc. It would make it easier for students to keep track of everything going on within a certain class, which would be extremely helpful since I sometimes don’t know what’s going on.
    .