Section 005, Instructor: Shana Pote

Weekly Question #4: Complete by Sept. 28, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 28, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Take a look at the Hoven article from this week (“Stephen Few on Data Visualization: 8 Core Principles”). Which one of the eight principles do you think is most important? Why?

23 Responses to Weekly Question #4: Complete by Sept. 28, 2017

• I think the most important principle from this article is ‘Simplify’. In order to show people a good data visualization, it should not be messy and difficult to understand. The first thing people look at is the color or word that pops, and if there are too many colors and other things going on in the data visualization, it will confuse the viewer what the important part of the data visualization is.

• I think the most important principle from this article is ‘Simplify’. In order to show people a good data visualization, it should not be messy and difficult to understand. The first thing people look at is the color that pops, and if there are too many colors and other things going on in the data visualization, it will confuse the viewer what the important part of the data visualization is.

• I believe that of the 8 core principles, “simplify” is the most important. If you are trying to inform people about a topic that may be more difficult to understand, an infographic is a great way to portray that information. It needs to be able to reach the average person, or someone who may not be an expert on the given subject. It’s important to make the knowledge accessible so that it can be understood by a wider audience. Having an infographic that is too detailed, uses jargon, or takes too long to go through will only deter people from looking at it.

• In my opinion, the most important principle is “Ask Why” because causation has ontological priority over correlation. In other words, determining the “why” is more important than the “what” or the “how”. When data reveals causal relationships between variables, decision-makers can quickly isolate what needs to remain constant and what may need to change in order to generate the desired outcome. Especially when resources and time are limited, effective data visualizations are those that can penetrate through the surface of things and reveal to the viewer what is really happening.

• I think the most important principle is “simplify”. In order to understand data, it needs to be in the simplest form so the reader can comprehend it. The data should be presented so any audience can dissect the information being portrayed. If there is difficulty understanding data, then the data is not being used to its fullest potential and is therefore largely ineffective.

• I would say “ask why” is one of the most important principles. Understanding the context behind why the information is presenting itself in the manner it is, is how we are able to make decisions based on the data. One of the main objectives of data analytics and data science for businesses is to transform the data into actionable insights. So knowing why, would get you closer to this.

• I think “attend” principle is the most important principle. A good data visualization should not focus on too many topics, thus there would be a most important topic in one data visualization. If the data visualization provides too much details that have a little to do with the main topic, the visualization would lost its focus. People who cannot attend the data well may lost interest or get boring about the visualization quickly, because it would be difficult to understand what the visualization want to tell the readers. In some worse situations, the data could even be misunderstood. Only if people could attend the data easily and pay attention to the main topic of the data, the visualization would be considered good.

• I think “attend” principle is the most important . A good data visualization should not focus on too many topics, thus there would be a most important topic in one data visualization. If the data visualization provides too much details that have a little to do with the main topic, the visualization would lost its focus. People who cannot attend the data well may lost interest or get boring about the visualization quickly, because it would be difficult to understand what the visualization want to tell the readers. In some worse situations, the data could even be misunderstood. Only if people could attend the data easily and pay attention to the main topic of the data, the visualization would be considered good.

• I think “Explore” is the most important principle on data visualization. Having the ability to create something like a heat-map or other type of exploratory data visualization can help us discover things we might have had trouble discovering otherwise. This explore principle would come in handy for problems that are hard to solve by directed analysis or problems where we can get stuck trying to find one thing when another is more important. Explore also blends into the principle of viewing diversely. Without the exploration of data, it could be very easy to always stick to the same methodologies and same viewpoints.

• I think “ask why” is the most important principle because people would never be able to fix any problems discovered by data analytics if they did not know why a certain trend was persisting. The goal of data and specifically data visualization should be to answer questions and not simply place a prompt in front of you. If businesses and organizations did not know the “why’s” of their data, they would certainly fail. Knowing the “why’s” creates an outlet for more success.

• I believe that the “Explore” is the most important principle, because it is the point where a person is able to analyze the data and gain more information from the data itself. It is one thing to gather information, but you can only do so much from just gathering data. After gathering the data you need you must explore your data and dig deeper and understand the patterns and trends that exist within the data if there are any. Being able to extract observations and facts from your data allows you to gain a deeper understanding of the situation at hand compared to if you were only glancing at your data. By exploring the data, you are understanding the story behind the information and possibly gaining new information from that data.

• I think the most important thing in data visualization is to “compare” the data. To understand a graph, it is important to compare data over a period of time or between two or more things. When comparing data, it is very helpful to have it all in the same visual to make it easy for the audience to see things in perspective.

• I think that “Explore” is the most important principle for data visualization. I think that it is important because the ability to delve into the data to uncover other conclusions. That is how we can learn more using data we already collected. Looking at data on face value is not the best way to learn from it, so exploring that data can help that.

• For me “simplify” is the most important. As we are in overloaded information era and with the short attention span of the readers, making simplify even more important. But also making people understand the message is important. If it’s not simple enough than a lot of people will not understand, misinterpret the message, simply being too scared of message as it’s to complex and that there will be readers who aren’t prolific like you in that field. In the end the message is the most important thing or else the data is just numbers for people who don’t understand.

• I think the most important of the eight principles is “ask why.” Collecting the data is easy enough but it is harder to know why the data is the way it is. The goal of data visualization is to tell the story of the data, and to do that requires an understanding of what the data is, where it comes from, and why it is the way it is. Having a knowledge of why it’s happening allows businesses to find trends and predict what will happen in the future.

• I think “Be skeptical” is the most important. If blindly accept all answer form data, it’s easy to be misguided. And it will lead to a lack of innovation. Nowadays, there are too much data encompass us, it’s hard to said whether the data we get is accurate or not. Be skeptical is an essential characteristic, it encourages people to question the result and motivate people to pursue new knowledge.

• I think one of the most important principles would be “ask why”. Being able to visualize data is helpful of course, but it is very important to know how and why that data came to be. Knowing the how and the why about data can lead to the ability to solve problems or make improvements.

• I think the most important out of those eight principles is “Simplify.” In our normal life, there are lots of data around us. In able for viewers to understand the data, the data must be clear, simple and user friendly. If the data is messy and difficult to understand, then viewers may find another way to get the information from elsewhere.

• I think the most important principle out of the eight principles is “be skeptical”. This is because as stated in the article we jump to any answer we are given immediately rather than second guess to ensure its accuracy. If the answer is not accurate than what is the point of putting in the effort to arrive at an incorrect answer, it is better to continue to ensure the accuracy of the conclusion drawn from the data by being skeptical about it.

• I think simplify is the most important aspect as a person who has ADD I have difficulty being presented with large amounts of information at once. The information must be concise and organized in a matter that helps people stay focused and decipher the data. Visualizing information is the most important piece to communicating data.

• I think the most important Principle out of the eight is to be skeptical. I think you should question information presented to you. We have to keep in mind that this same input has come from someone else’s research and it might not always line up with the facts depending on what their true adjective is rather than basing it on accuracy of data to be displayed.

• I feel as though the simplify principle is the most important. As the day goes on many things try to grab our attention and we can only dedicate so much time to individual things. If things are more simplified, time spent on them decreases and it makes everyone’s life a little easier.

• I believe the most important step out of the 8 steps is “Ask Why”. This is because this is the stage in which you make action on the data. The data means virtually nothing if you don’t do anything with it.