Section 005, Instructor: Shana Pote

Weekly Question #10: Complete by Nov. 30, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 30, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Here is the question:

Think about a data-driven service that you use regularly (i.e., Blackboard, Amazon.com, Facebook). Imagine you want to store the data for that service in a spreadsheet – what would each row in the spreadsheet represent? What would some of the data columns be?

(For example, Yelp.com stores restaurant reviews. A row would be an individual review, and some columns would be the name of the restaurant, the type of food they serve, the address, the star rating, and the name of the reviewer.)

17 Responses to Weekly Question #10: Complete by Nov. 30, 2017

• A data driven service I use regularly would be my activity tracker for my apple watch/phone. Some of the columns I would expect to see might be Date, Move Calories, Exercise Minutes, Stand Hours, Steps, Distance, Workout type, Workout duration, workout metric. The rows I would expect to be each record or day or instance that this data is collected. (it is typically presented by the day so I would assume by day vs. hour or week)

• A data service that I use daily would be Spotify. Spotify lets you listen to music, make playlists, and see what your friends are listening to. The rows and columns of data I would see would be my playlist titles; song, artist, album, duration of the song, and how often it is listened to. I can also see another row which shows what my friends are listening to: my friends name, the song, album, and artist; and how long ago they were on Spotify.

• A data driven service that I use regularly would be Amazon.com. Since Amazon is a site that can be used for purchases of many different items, The columns could be named after the the customer ID, date of order, shipment date, order quantity, or any other identifier of an order. While the row could be named after the products they bough or any other product identifier that could help distinguish the individual’s order.

• A data-driven service I use regularly is When2Work, which is the scheduling website my job uses to post our shifts. It uses our availability to help supervisors plan what shifts everyone gets each week, and overall keep track of employees. The rows would be the names of each employee. The columns would be position, pay rate, number of hours scheduled, and what days each employee works. There could also be a column for each employee, and rows for days of the week. The student’s availability on each day could be entered into the sheet, therefore giving you everyone’s schedule.

• A data driven service I use regularly is Adobe Kuler. Kuler allows people to create and share 5 color schemes and is very useful for graphic artists. The rows in the spreadsheet would represent each color scheme that is created. The columns would represent things like what 5 colors make up the scheme, how many times the scheme is clicked, how many times it’s downloaded, and then the timing of each of those two activities.

• A data driven service that I use daily is Snapchat. Snapchat is an app that lets someone send pictures or texts that only last a certain amount of time. Some columns would be amount of snaps sent and received, amount of stories posted, and number of friends. The rows would be each person represented by their specific username in Snapchat.

• A data driven service I use on a daily basis is Instagram. Instagram is a social media app that let you share your photos with your friends and also you can follow your favorite celebrities to see what they doing in their life. Some columns on Instagram would be amount of followers, following you have and the like, comments on your posts. The row on Instagram would be the username you have.

• A data driven service I use daily is Facebook. The columns would probably be filled with descriptive analytics such as post amount, likes, views, clicks, followers, activity etc. and the rows would be usernames.

• A data-driven service I use daily is Amazon.com. The first column would be dates I have bought goods from Amazon. The rows would be what I have bought from Amazon in different dates and how many time I shopped in a day. Another column can also be good names, the rows can be how many times I bought the same item and price of the item.

• A datadriven service I use daily is Blackboard. Blackboard lets you see your grades, course content, assignments and announcement for each all of your courses. The columns would be course name, CRN, professor’s name, grades, assignments, calendar and announcements.

• A data driven service that I use regularly would be amazon. Some data I could collect for my personal use is items I have purchased, their cost, and when they arrived. Furthermore, I could track what advertisements are given to me based on my purchases to break the filter bubble that is put in place through direct advertisements.

• A data-driven service I use daily is MindBody, which is a Crossfit workout scheduling application. The columns I would expect to find would be type of workout, start time, coach, location, duration, and availability. The rows I would expect to find would be the data associated with each column, i.e the time classes are offered, the type of class (crossfit, bootcamp, competition, hybrid, barbell), the coaches name, the length of the class, and how many spots are available (0-15). The application is especially useful when I am traveling and want to find a workout.

• A data-driven service that I use daily would be Apple Music, which is a music streaming service. Some of the columns I would expect to see on a spreadsheet of the data from this would be things such as artists, song titles, length of songs, number of playlists and their titles, the lengths of playlists. Another spreadsheet may include data unrelated to the music, but rather payment totals for each month and the date they were paid.

• A data-driven service I use is Netease Music, which is a online music service in China. They provides daily music recommendations to me based on what types of music I have already listened. If let me to design the database, each row would represent a record of music playing. The columns would be how many times you have already listened to this music, the duration of this record(to show if you listened the full music or just half-way through and turned to another music), whether you added the music into “My Favorite” playlist(Boolean value), and hundreds of genre columns, each column represent one genre, and the boolean values inside means if the music is belong to this genre or tag. I think using more boolean values instead of strings would make the data analyzing be much easier.

• A data-driven service I use every day is the app Sleep Cycle, which track my sleep patterns using my phone and wakes me up during light sleep period. the rows in the spreadsheet would be the time I went to bed, time spent in bed, time woke up, snore, sleep quality. For the columns, I would have day of the week, the location, the moon, and the weather.

• A data driven service that I use daily is bleacher report. This app provides articles on sports topics from all sports around the world. In a spreadsheet headings would be different sports, articles based on cities, favorites, views, comment numbers. This is just some of the columns of which a data driven service would have immense amounts of.

• A data driven service i use on a daily basis is twitter. There are thousands of data points that go into tweets, follower counts, and any type of interactive usage. The things i would store in my data set are the user’s followers, following and tweet count. I would have followers in rows and tweet count and following in the columns This is because you can analyze ones interaction with other users and how it came to be due to ones relevance or social media presence.

Leave a Reply to Magnus Nilsen Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Office Hours

Shana Pote
shana.pote@temple.edu

Alter Hall 232
Class time: 5:30-8pm, Thursdays
Office hours: Thursdays, 1 hour before class, or by appointment.