MIS 0855: Data Science Spring 2017

Section 005, Instructor: Joe Spagnoletti

Weekly Question #7: Complete by March 22, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on March 23, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Here is the question:

Give an example of a KPI – some sort of metric for performance – that you use on a regular basis? Briefly discuss how it conforms to the SMART criteria.

(For example, my car tells me its average gas mileage. This is specific and measurable – gas mileage is a precise measure. It is achievable – I can alter my driving to try to get better mileage. It’s relevant – gas mileage has an impact on my costs! And it’s time-variant, I can look at gas mileage over a week, or a day, or a month.)

Reading Quiz #7: Complete by March 20, 2017

Some quick instructions:

• You must complete the quiz by the start of class on March 20, 2017.
  • When you click on the link, you may see a Google sign in screen. Use your AccessNet ID and password to sign in. It will then take you to the quiz.
    If it says you don’t have access, make sure you’re signed out of your regular Gmail (non-TUMail) account!
  • You can only do the quiz once. If you submit multiple times, I’ll only use the first (oldest) one.
  • This is “open book” – you can use the articles to answer the questions – but do not get help from anyone else.

Ready? Take the quiz by clicking this link.

Weekly Question #6: Complete by March 8, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on March 9, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Answer one of these:

We spent a little time in class discussing the article Stupid Data Corruption Tricks.

1. Have you ever made one of the mistakes listed in the article? Describe what happened.
  2. If you haven’t made one of those mistakes, which one of them do you think is the most important to avoid?

Reading Quiz #6: Complete by March 6, 2017

Some quick instructions:

• You must complete the quiz by the start of class on March 7, 2017.
  • When you click on the link, you may see a Google sign in screen. Use your AccessNet ID and password to sign in. It will then take you to the quiz.
    If it says you don’t have access, make sure you’re signed out of your regular Gmail (non-TUMail) account!
  • You can only do the quiz once. If you submit multiple times, I’ll only use the first (oldest) one.
  • This is “open book” – you can use the articles to answer the questions – but do not get help from anyone else.

Ready? Take the quiz by clicking this link.

Assignment 3: Cleaning a Data Set

Here are the instructions (in Word)   (and as a PDF).  Make sure you read them carefully!  This is an assignment that should be done individually.

And here is the data file you’ll need: VandelayOrders(Jan).xlsx.

Here is the information to submit your assignment:

Name your file:  First Name, Last Name, Assignment 3

Send to this email address: Data_Sc.j45wixgclx1xhv1r@u.box.com

Weekly Question #5: Complete by March 1, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on March 2, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Here is the question:

Just like you did about a month ago, find another online article dated within last two weeks from a credible source that has something to do with data and is interesting and relevant to you. Copy and paste the URL directly into your response followed by a few sentences that explain what is interesting about it.

Office Hours

Joe Spagnoletti (instructor)

Office: Speakman 207H

Hours: (1:20-1:50, 3:00) M, W, F by appointment.

Email: joespag@temple.edu

TA: Prince Patel

Email: Prince@temple.edu