Section 005, Instructor: Laurel Miller

Extra Credit Question : Complete by February 8

Leave your response as a comment on this post by February 8. It only needs to be three or four sentences.

If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.  Your comment will not show up automatically as I have to approve them.

In your opinion, what was the most important takeaway from Maurice Whetstone’s talk on Wednesday? What did you learn about the way data is used to make decisions? Relate your observation to the class material if you can.  If you did not attend class you cannot answer this question.

24 Responses to Extra Credit Question : Complete by February 8

• In this lecture, I know about what is QVC and what does it do. He also talks about the knowledge of using data. Moreover, his experiences at work bring me a different view of this industry.

• This past Wednesday, we had a guest speaker during class to speak to us. I, very much, enjoyed his presence. In the presentation, most memorable takeaway that he spoke on was the life lesson. He said that no matter who they are, you can’t allow them to teach you disrespectfully because you get treated how you let them treat you. The speaker also talked a lot about data and I learned that industries get data instantly and get alter our live television shows. For example, in class we learned about metadata (general data about other datas) and Maurice Whetstone talked about how he uses that to find fault or even new innovations during the live TV.

• The most important take away from the lecture was when Maurice said “you are representing You Inc.” that really resonated with me. I found it really interesting how they use live data when they are on air. They take the data and use keywords in order to promote the products to consumers. – Jesse Wireman

• One of the most important takeaways from the talk was that data are only numbers until a team, humans, can properly analyze them. Metadata is very important to achieve this goal because it allows everyone to understand what they are looking at and so that the team can coordinate and communicate with one another effectively. It was surprising to me how much storage QVC needs to house its data and I cannot see a way to manage that data without a system of identification of the data and comments on how it is organized.

• The most important takeaway is that data is just data but if you have a way of interpreting it, it can make or break a business. When Maurice told the story about the live monitoring it made me feel like every company should implement that. If I am ever online shopping and my feedback gets answered immediately, it will make me happy, and I will most likely make a purchase and future purchases. It also showed me how time consuming and expensive maintaining and examining data can be. When talking about the cloud, one question I have is why only put partial data on the cloud and not keep everything? Since it is so much more affordable.

• The most important thing that I learned form Maurice Whetstone’s talk was when he talked about his team’s motto, “Data Is At The Heart Of What We Do”. We talk about in class how data is everywhere, but Maurice posed the question “name one area of your life where you do not use data”. This really struck a chord with me because it is one thing to say that data is everywhere, but you can really see the magnitude when you try and think of an area where it is not used. Because data is in all areas of life, data inherently influences every decision, which Maurice touched on when talking about his discoveries of going through data for fun.

• The most important thing I’ve learned from Maurice Whetstone’s talk was to take intiative when it comes to your job, to always have that feeling or attitude that “you can,” and that you have to go above and beyond your pay grade sometimes to better your performance or your corporations. Maurice Whetstone used data and integrated it into charts to help to visualize or present it to a informal board and because of that QVC was able to bring in more revenue and it also opened a gate to opportunities for a new team or group of people. Prospective employers could look at the decisions you have made and use them to consider hiring you or not and that’s what makes you stand out from other applicants. In relation to the class material we could use data to better The Temple experience for students, staff, and faculty members by integrating it into a common issue that we all may share and make it better for us all.

• One of the most important takeaways from Mr. Whetstone’s talk was the life lessons and advice he was giving. He gave some good advice that I can keep in the back of my mind and remember going forward. Also, I learned that data is important in almost everything and essential in making decisions. Finding and using data to boost sales on certain products or to find problems within the business are two key ways in which data is important. Mr. Whetstone also talked about the metadata being important as well, just like we did in class. Data is a big factor to consider when in retail and in most other fields.

• An important takeaway from Maurice Whetstone’s talk for me was to always ask questions and always put my best foot forward and present myself however i would present a company that i was the CEO of. One thing i learned about data that i thought was very cool was when he was explaining how they analysed live data and would tell the TV show host to use a certain word more than others.

• I think the most important part of the guest speakers presentation was explaining all the different types of data that a company could utalize to expand their sales and market. There is so much more useful information that can be used than we are aware of. Data about the data also known as metadata tells us even more of where the data we use comes from, and how it changes over time. Companies used ot use already existing data, but monitoring the data by the minute and as it changes overtime, it will aid professionals to make more accurate predictions of success.

• I think the most important takeaway from Maurice Wehtstone’s talk was the need for fast and accurate data. He mentioned how data is getting so big and complex and there is a huge need to keep up with the info we are being blasted with. I understand the importance of data analytics and the fact that clearly and TRUE data is essential. If I was not a senior MIS or computer science would be a career field that intrigued me. One thing that that relates to class is the 3 v’s of Data we learned of data. Data needs Velocity Variety and Value.

• First and foremost, I would like to thank Mr. Whetstone for taking time to come in and talk to our class. I really enjoyed the presentation, especially his way of giving examples of data through his experiences in the industry. The thing that I thought to be most important from the presentation was the importance of meta-data and utilization of data in real time. As we discussed in class, meta-data is very important because it helps the reader/viewer of the data to understand the meaning of the data/data set.

• As a whole, I really enjoyed the presentation but, I wish that there were more ways for an accounting student like myself to relate to it. I know you can only speak to your experience and knowledge so I understand. Also, I wish there were some articles or other resources about getting into that field or just about data analytics in general. For instance, your favorite reading materials or videos. Otherwise, great job!

• There were many key takeaways from Maurice’s speech on Wednesday. I believe the one I walked away with which was most impactful is how exploring various data sets can lead to discovering relationships, and ultimately creating more business opportunities. These hidden connections can relate to course material as we have discussed the importance of big data and how vast it can be. This is evident in the burrito article, where there were thousands of different types of burrito options, but using appropriate scaling allowed the author to tailor the data to meaningful geographical representations.

Additionally, Maurice’s life advice at the end was a nice touch and did resonate with me after the class concluded.

• Maurice gave a very enthusiastic and interesting talk, which allowed each student to understand how he uses data being the Director of Enterprise Data Management at QVC. I think one of the most important parts of Maurice’s talk was when he stated that, “data is at the heart of everything we do.” Maurice emphasized this line a lot in order to give us a true idea as to how much data people actually consume on a day to day basis. I learned that data is used to make almost all of your decisions. I also really enjoyed the stories and the life advice that Maurice shared with us during his presentation.

• The most important thing I took from Maurice was to treat people how you would want to be treated. Never let anyone walk on top of you and/or your accomplishments. Also, I learned that data is used in many ways to make decisions. There is data to back up almost everything and to get the best results for something, its crucial that there is data to show for improvement.

• I liked Mr. Whetstone’s presentation quite a bit. He was a fun guy, and seemed to not take himself too seriously. My most important take away was that there are a ton of jobs in MIS. I also learned that companies rely on consumer data to make a large number of their decisions.

• Maurice Whetstone’s talk last Wednesday taught me a lesson on how to be accomplished in the real world and that is to always look for a way to not only help yourself, but help your peers. One thing I learned about data and decision making is that happens in seconds, and in those few seconds you can really make an impact on the success of your company or product. For example, Maurice told us the story on how sales of a certain product increased when they used the word “great value” which in my opinion is extremely fascinating that a tiny detail like that go so far.

• The most important part of Mr. Whetstone’s presentation was how impactful and effective data can be in leading a business to maximum growth. Data, if used properly can be give you the most precise piece of information regarding customers, products, transactions, and feedback. On the other hand data should always be carefully reviewed to make sure it is from a trusted source because wrong data can result in the loss of revenue. Mr. Whetstone’s experience displays how data can fully optimize a business.

• The most important thing I took away from Maurice Whetstone’s talk was that I’m the CEO of me. It was a good reminder that I’m responsible for my personal brand and that I’m the only one capable of holding myself accountable. As far as data, I learned you can look at sales to catch any mistakes and even figure out new products you can start selling based off of what you’re customers are already buying.

• The most important takeaway from Maurice Whetstone’s talk on Wednesday is that by using the data that is retrieved, a business firm or any other type of firm can use it to capitalize their growth of the company and to make it successful! With the access of limitless amount of data, companies like the Maurice Whetstone works for can put out the products that costumers want to see and buy. Not only can data be used like this, but also when making decisions to the simplest thing to the most complex. With the data that one has, the decision maker can make a more evaluated decision with the information that is given to him or her. Having data definitely helps or makes it easier for a company or person to make a decision!

• The most important takeaway that I got from Maurice Whetstone’s talk on Wednesday was when he talked about real-time analytics that his team has to use when monitoring the live broadcasts and with that also their website, reviews, phone lines, and all the other current data that could be streaming in at any moment. I learned that these aren’t decisions just based on psychology or a marketing team that decides the best way to increase sales, but the data that is gathered through the actual customers and their purchasing habits. This illustrates how QVC can use not just their data on things such as sales but the metadata of that to track reviews, purchasing patterns, and how to improve upon their selling strategies, products and platforms.

• The most important takeaway from Maurice Whetstone’s talk was to be passionate about what’s you’re doing. He loves his job so he can be energetic when working. Data by itself may not be useful, but if you analyze data and are able to get information out of it, you can make decisions based on your analysis.

• The most important take away for me was when Maurice mistakenly created a job for him just by knowing data and how it can be used. Data can help businesses in their everyday operation for example, the real time analysis that QVC uses on their live televise show help them sell products better. some terms i learned about in class such as: meta-data, data science, and turning data into information were some of the terms in Maurice presentation.