MIS2101 Section 702 – Amy Lavin – Spring 2014

ERP’s Future Is Hybrid Cloud

This article briefly explains that cloud computing is the future of ERP systems and that they will be more successful if they integrate the two. It states that many systems are already a “hybrid” and that it is a lot easier to integrate an ERP system as this hybrid than it is alone.

1. The article stated that cost for this “hybrid” would be lower than integrating a regular ERP system. Do you feel that reduction of cost out weighs some of the risks of cloud computing?

2. Do you agree or disagree that the “hybrid” way is the way of the future or should the two systems continue to be separate? Why?

3. The article also mentions a project that Microsoft is developing where users with no programming experience could soon develop applications. Do you think this will be successful? Would it be bad for IT/programming job security?

http://smartdatacollective.com/robert-kugel/193046/erp-s-future-hybrid-cloud

8 Responses to ERP’s Future Is Hybrid Cloud

• 1. The article stated that cost for this “hybrid” would be lower than integrating a regular ERP system. Do you feel that reduction of cost out weighs some of the risks of cloud computing?
    – I think that cloud computing is becoming more mainstream and companies will become more comfortable with the idea of using it. The more cloud is used, the more you’ll see of programmers building controls to allow different businesses to use it. I think no matter if it’s cloud or not, there are always risks in security, record-keeping, etc.
    – I think the hybrid way is definitely part of the future. Companies will want their current systems to depreciate before they invest in something new. Everyone realizes that technology is constantly changing and there is no need to convert to something new every time.
    – I think this will definitely be successful. Computers are a part of our every day lives. Non-IT people are becoming more familiar with programming. With this, programming will become a part of our job responsibilities. IT will still be needed to devote their full time developing and maintaining the programs.

• Do I believe that reduction cost outweighs some of the risks of cloud computing. I would have to say that it depends on the costs. If a company can spend a reasonable amount on an ERP system then they probably would consider having an ERP system. If you have a business that stores personal information about people, then they are already taking a risk to be hacked. They say private, but how private is private?

Is a hybrid the way of the future? As long as cloud service vendors continue to demonstrate reliability and security, the hybrid way may be in the future. If the majority of businesses are successful using it without security breaches, others will eventually follow.

Microsoft’s developing project that will allow users with no programming experience to develop their own application would be good to see happen. This way a company can create just what the business needs to be efficient instead of systems that do not complete the daily tasks. I wonder what the cost would be. I don’t think that it would be bad for IT/programming job security, but it can make a significant impact.

• I believe the reduction in costs does outweigh the risks associated with cloud computing. Companies are always looking for ways to save money, and ERPs are huge expenses, anything they can do drive down those costs is a plus for them, and they will move to it. The transition I think will be slow because of the risks, but as time goes on they will transition to save money.

I think hybrid is the way of the future. It gives a company the best of both worlds. They can maintain their more sensitive information on local servers, and more secure while having other things kept in the cloud; The article talks about companies already doing it, keeping most of their finance departments away from the cloud while letting other segments of the business use the cloud.

I don’t really know anything about this new Microsoft app development tool, but I find it hard to believe that it would allow someone with no programming background to make anything more then a rudiemntary app that can handle very basic functions. I don’t see it endangering the jobs of programmers, if anything I think it will allow more programmers to focus on higher level issues that would increase their value, instead of spending time developing very simple and basic apps and customizations.

• Great article, Michelle! It really makes a lot of good points about why/why not this could work for ERPs! The mention of mainframes in the beginning of the article is important I think. ERPs, as we have discussed are expensive and lengthy in implementation. High switching costs is probably a contributing factor to why people are not moving to the cloud for their ERP solution as well.

I think that it depends on which systems you are putting on the cloud. I, personally, don’t think that HR should be on the cloud. Although, I believe that this article says that it is one of the areas that are being moved to the cloud. It also depends on what your company does. Some companies that handle sensitive information should not be putting their information out there where they can’t control the security requirements.

I do think that the hybrid way is the way of the future. There are just too many things that companies will not feel comfortable putting on the cloud.

I think this is a bad idea and I think it will backfire on them at some point in security breaches. I think it will booster IT/programming job security because the companies that do this will have serious issues.

• 1. The article stated that cost for this “hybrid” would be lower than integrating a regular ERP system. Do you feel that reduction of cost outweighs some of the risks of cloud computing?
    Yes, I feel the benefit of employing hybrid cloud computing outweighs the risk. Because cloud computing become more secure and costs less.

Yes, I agree that hybrid is the way to go in the future. Because it will be faster, safer and less expensive to compute companies financial system.

Yes, it will be successful especially for individuals without good knowledge of programming to be able to create a simple app for everyday use. I also do not think that it will affect the job security of IT professional since they are for the most complicated programing.

• I think every new technology coming out is faced with the question of how secure it is. Hence whoever invents new tech nolgy especially for businesses wll definitely know they have to ensure that the technology is very secure. Honestly thats the only way that a company would bother to even tak a look at a technology. so even if the cost of a hybrid is low, i feel it would still be a safe technology.

The hybrid is definitely the way of the future. Cloud computing is hackable so the hybrid will definitely help busniness who want an online presence but dont trust the saftey of the system.companies that dont adopt this way will definitely be left behind.

i actually think it would be cool for Microsoft to develop this project where non programmers could develop applications. People have a lot of ideas and think up a lot of possibilities. unfortunately when it comes to ideas in technology,if you dont know programming you just have to forget it since you really cant do anything about it. This project will definitely bring out the creatives out there stuck in “boring” jobs. Eg. dreamweaver, wordpress, etc these are all easy to use and they allow individuals to express themselves and ideas

• Both ERP and Cloud Computing are all about sharing information and data, so I think they will go together well. My concern would be with the security and that if a hacker gets into your database through the cloud, they can now see all of your ERP shared data. Hybrid is the way of the future as companies continue to expand into a global market.

I feel that if Microsoft Programing is good and will bring more people into the programing process and reduce the digital divide. I feel that IT/Programmers will have plenty of work creating and maintaining custom ERP programs and have job security.