Information Systems in Organizations

MIS 2101.004 – Adam Alalouf – Spring 2016

Welcome to MIS2101

welcometomis2101

Welcome to MIS2101: Information Systems in Organizations

This course is not your typical Fox course. Make a note of the following important course characteristics:

1. We will not be using Blackboard for this class. Got that? No Blackboard. Instead, we will be using this site which is hosted by community.mis.temple.edu and is built on WordPress, a world class open-source blogging tool. Not only will we be using this site to communicate all relevant information on assignments, required readings, and exams, but each and every one of you will create your own instance of a WordPress site, which will be hosted on eportfolios.fox.temple.edu. I will take great care to explain this in class, so show up and pay attention. 
  2. There is no textbook. What? No textbook? That’s right. No textbook. This is a double-edged sword in that it can provide a relief (financially and otherwise) but it will also require you to keep track of required readings and videos that will be shared via links on this site. 
  3. This course is activity based, which means that most classes will entail an activity that you will be required to complete and that will count towards your final grade. You cannot make up missed activities, so make sure you show up to class and turn in your sheet. You will need to buy an in-class activity workbook. It is available at the Digital Copy Center at 234 Ritter Hall. It costs less than lunch and a coffee at your favorite food truck. 
  4. This course is an introduction to many fascinating, rapidly-evolving topics such as big data, organizational strategy, adaptation to competitive forces and disruption, and ethical and moral issues. It is a fascinating course, if you’ll take my word for it. My intention is to make it worth your while. 

It is very important that you understand the structure of this course and learn to navigate this site early on as it is your source of all information pertaining to required readings and content, homework assignments, deadlines, exams, grades, and other updates. Take some time now to explore! 

For your own edification, please keep the following general principles in mind when coming to my class. Think of these as the golden rules for success:

1. Let’s talk about the issues. Ask questions. Participate in the discussions. Let me know who you are. Let me know what you think. Remember, if you have a question, chances are others have the same question. 
  2. Do your homework before you come to class. Come prepared. Read the articles you are assigned. Neither you nor I will benefit from a discussion of a topic you know nothing about because you neglected to do your part. 
  3. Get to know your classmates. One of the advantages of college is the connections you make with your cohorts. Falling behind on the readings? Unsure what to expect on the next exam, even after a review session? There’s a great benefit to knowing someone with whom you can compare notes. 
  4. Follow the instructions! Some of the assignments are complex, and require you to pay attention, step by step. Also, learn how to properly submit the homework assignment. Pay attention to the naming convention and submission instructions. I will go over this in class. 
  5. Get to class on time. Get good rest the night before. Zombies are for Hollywood. 

And finally, I would be remiss if I did not include a statement about Temple University’s Policy on Academic Honesty. You know the drill. You are responsible for your own work. Exams are individual tasks. You may not talk to your classmates or use electronic devices during an exam. Spare yourself (and me) the rabbit hole of having to enforce these policies and do not jeopardize your academic career by doing something dishonest. Let’s not go there. 

Please review these guidelines and feel free to post comments if you have questions or concerns. Thank you and welcome to MIS 2101!