Information Systems in Organizations

MIS 2101.101 – Marie-Christine Martin – Fall 2018

Welcome to MIS2101

Welcome to MIS2101, Information Systems in Organizations.  We will not be using Canvas for this class.  Instead we’ll be using this site which is hosted by Community.MIS.Temple.Edu.  This site is built on WordPress, a world class open-source blogging tool.  As part of completing the assignments in MIS2101 you will gain some experience with WordPress and other technologies.

Unlike most intro courses, this course has no required textbook.  The traditional textbook has been replaced by a collection of readings and videos that are freely available over the Internet.  Another way you will find this class very different than most classes you will take at any university is that this class is “activity based”.  With this type of class there is far less traditional lecture.  We will used the time that is freed up from lectures to complete in-class activities that help students develop a deeper and more genuine understanding of the material that is discussed during our class discussions.

On this site you will find all of the required course materials including the syllabus, links to the assigned readings, links to assigned videos, assignments and access to your grades for the course.  In addition announcements will be made in class and/or on this site so it is important that you check this site regularly for announcements.

Exam 3 Review sessions

Hello everyone,

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Please share this information with your students regarding Exam Review.

I will be holding two review sessions for Exam 3:
  • Tuesday, December 4, 4-5:30 pm in Alter 745.
  • Monday, December 10, 2-3:30 pm in Alter 745.
I will be doing the same thing for both sessions so students can just attend one of them. The session will also be recorded on Class Capture.

Thank you!

Best,
Michelle

Max Lab 3 Help desk sessions

Help desk sessions for Max Labs 3 deliverables will run at various times and days from 11/9 to 11/26 in Alter 602. The ITAs will not be leading any sort of instruction – they will simply be there to help you with any questions or difficulties you might have.

Listed below are the dates and times of all help desk sessions for Max Labs 3: 

Friday, Nov 9: 9-10AM, 11-12PM, 2-5PM
Monday, Nov 12: 3-6PM
Wednesday, Nov 14: 3-5PM
Thursday, Nov 15: 5-7PM
Friday, Nov 16: 9-10AM, 11-12PM, 1-3PM
Monday, Nov 26: 3-5PM, 5:30-7:30PM

Note: Alter 602 has computers that you can use if you do not have a laptop. 

Best,
Michelle

MaxLab2 Help desk sessions

In preparation for Max Labs 2 deliverables, a team of Information Technology Assistants (ITAs) will be holding help desk sessions in Alter 602 at various times and days from 10/26 – 11/5. The ITAs will not be leading any sort of instruction – they will simply be there to help you with any questions or difficulties you might have.

Feel free to come to one of the help desk sessions if you want to work on the assignment knowing there is a person on hand who can answer any potential questions.

Listed below are the dates and times of all help desk sessions for Max Labs 2: 

Friday, Oct 26: 9-12PM, 3-5PM
Monday, Oct 29: 4-6PM
Tuesday, Oct 30: 6-8PM
Wednesday, Oct 31: 3-5PM
Thursday, Nov 1: 5-7PM
Friday, Nov 2: 9-11AM, 1-4PM
Monday, Nov 5: 3-7PM

Best,
Michelle

MIS 2101 Exam 2 Review Session

Hello everyone,

I will be holding two review sessions for Exam 2:
  • Monday, October 22, 4-5:30pm in Alter 34.
  • Friday, October 26, 6-7:30pm in Alter 32.
I will be doing the same thing for both sessions so students can just attend one of them. The session will also be recorded on Class Capture.

As usual, I will NOT be covering all of the exam materials but rather, students are expected to come with questions. Mart has set up a link for them to ask questions in advance:

They can leave a “Reply” to the post listing questions that they would like to have answered during the review session. I will then compile these questions to be addressed during the session.

Thank you!

Best,
Michelle

Max Lab 1 – Help desk sessions

In preparation for Max Labs 1 deliverables, a team of Information Technology Assistants (ITAs) will be holding help desk sessions to to help you all complete these assignments successfully!

All sessions will be held in Alter 602 at various times and days from 10/10 – 10/22. For the most part, two ITAs will be on hand during each session. They will not be leading any sort of instruction – they will simply be there to help you with any questions or difficulties you might have.

Although many of you will find that you can complete the assignments on your own, feel free to come to one of the help desk sessions if you want to work on the assignment knowing there is a person on hand who can answer any potential questions.

Listed below are the dates and times of all help desk sessions for Max Labs 1: 

Wednesday, Oct 10: 3-5PM
Thursday, Oct 11: 5-7PM
Friday, Oct 12: 4-6PM

Monday, Oct 15: 3-7PM
Wednesday, Oct 17: 3-5PM
Thursday, Oct 18: 5-8PM
Friday, Oct 19: 1-4PM

Monday, Oct 22: 3-5PM

Best,
Michelle

— 

Michelle Purnama
Temple University | Fox School of Business | Class of 2020
Major: Management Information Systems (MIS)
Diamond Peer Teacher, MIS 2901 – Honors Information Systems in Organizations
Director of Corporate Relations, Temple Association for Information Systems 
Vice President, Women’s Entrepreneurial Organization 
Administrative Assistant, MIS Department

Exam 1 Prep Session – Monday 9/24

Hello everyone,

I will be holding Exam 1 Review Session on Monday, September 24th, 4:00-5:30pm in Alter 603. The session will be recorded on Class Capture so if they’re not able to come, they’ll be able to watch it later online.

Please note that I do NOT plan on covering all of the exam materials but rather, students are expected to come with questions. 
In preparation for that, Mart has set up a link for students to ask questions in advance:
They can leave a “Reply” to the post listing questions that they would like to have answered during the review session. I will then compile these questions to be addressed during the session.

Please share this information with your students.

Thank you!

Best,
Michelle P.