MIS 2101.701 – Amy Lavin – Spring 2017

Weekly Question #3

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on February 7, 2016. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

This week, we reviewed Business Rules, Decision Trees & Conceptual Architecture Diagrams.  What are some other areas, other than information systems, where you could see a decision tree being really helpful?  Why?  

34 Responses to Weekly Question #3

• Decision trees can be useful in professional and personal situations. I couldn’t help but think about how helpful decision trees would be for the salon I work at in center city. If we used decision trees, they could help with several processes. One example would be closing the salon each night. There are many things that need to be done before we can close. We need to count inventory, fully clean each room, count any cash payments, escalate any payment discrepancies, and perform a large list of other tasks. Employees may move faster if they have some sort of decision tree to know what to do next throughout the night. I think decision trees could also be useful for training new employees. If an employee could take home an organized decision tree, they could visualize the way the operations of our salon work.

• In my profession I assist students with outstanding balances. Often the student assumes that their financial Aid and student loans are going to cover their full tuition, and when it does not they are unable to register. The student plan “A” was to register they did not have a plan “B”. I think a Decision Tree would be helpful in mapping out one’s life plans. Everyone has a plan “A” on how they would like to achieve their life’s goals. Sometimes obstacles get in the way and you are unable to enact plan “A”. So you need to have a backup plan “B” and a decision tree is a good way to map out all of the “IF’s” in your life you may encounter so you can make a wise decision.

• After our class on Tuesday night, I started a chapter in my statistics class that advocates the use of decision trees to solve probability problems. This organized method of question and answer really helps with visualizing complex word problems in mathematics by making them simple to understand and use. Not only are decision trees useful for organizing numerical information, they could also be useful for organizing information for employees in a company. In the HR Department I currently work in, I was recently assigned the task of creating a document that contains representative contact information so that employees will know who to direct their benefit questions to. Upon learning about decision trees, I am thinking it would be beneficial for me to map out the contacts based upon potential questions in one of the trees. This way, the representative information will be quick and accessible based on whatever questions my employees may have.

• Other than Information System, I think the decision tree can be a really helpful tool to draw plan, demonstrate a process, for example: your plan for certain days, schedule or studying plan for exam or ideas for your business ( investment, restaurant, project..) Decision tree is helpful since it is easy to understand, it is clear and people can easily see the outcomes when they take a few seconds to look at it.

• I think a decision tree would be very helpful in the banking world, because there are so many important decisions that need to be made on a daily basis. At my credit union members are coming in with various types of transactions to complete for them, and problems which need to be fixed. Depending on the problem, one might need to reach out to superiors or other departments to come up with a solution for the member. It would be very helpful for our employees to be able to reference this diagram as needed, and be able to see the outcomes before handling the member’s account.

• I can think of many reasons, pretty much unlimited reasons, as to how a decision tree would be helpful. I think that they can help tremendously not only in business, but also in personal choices as well. Sometimes just seeing something laid out in that exact way can help you come to a better decision. I know for example in my job, I sell cosmetics, we could use these for the process of how to sell and market our items. I think creating a decision tree could make people make better, more well thought out decisions. It also can help if say someone is great at selling a product, or whatever it is that they do, they could make a decision tree so others could replicate what it is they do.

• As someone who is very indecisive, I believe that decision trees would be useful in my personal and professional life. For my personal life, it could help me determine my plans for a particular day or what I should spend my money on. In my professional life decision trees would also be very useful. As a human resource management major, decision trees can be used to determine which applicants you call in for an interview based off of their resumes. It can also help determine how people get paid, or how raises are determined. Decision trees allow you to really sit down and think about the different outcomes for certain situations, so they can really be used for anything.

• Decisions trees can be useful in any situation where you have several courses of action. This could be professional or even personal decisions. I know in my profession, a decision tree would very useful to show the application process for renting apartments. There are several different results the applicant could get (accept, accept with conditions, decline, and criminal decline) and each result has its own list of actions needed to complete the process. Also, like I said, decision trees are very helpful for personal things an example being a list of chores needed to get down. For instance, I have wash, bathroom cleaning, and yard work to do. What is going to get done first is going to depend on some situations as in is it good weather to do the yard work or is anyone going to be home where the bathrooms are not available to be occupied by cleaning, etc.

• Decision trees can be helpful in any sort of scenario where you need to explore multiple options. You can use it to decide which job to accept, vacation and financial planning, as well as countless other things that need to be weighted and decided

• I could see decision trees being used in a for Risk Management. Decision trees reduce the dangers a company might be exposed to if it settled on a moment’s decision without considering future consequences. A decision tree allows the company to take the time to think of multiple outcomes to a given situation and how to act or react accordingly. Since a company already outlined the possible consequences, facing risks become more manageable. The decision tree becomes a tool you can use to prepare for the risk.

• I believe a decision tree could be use when looking at personal career goals and paths. A person has to ask many questions and make many decisions that may lead to a success career. There will be some changes here and there but as least you ask the questions; is education needed, any training afterwards, salary goals, etc. Without considering some of these outcomes, you maybe a “starving unhappy artist” as some may call it with huge bills living in their family/friends basement for the rest of their life.

• I think decision trees could be helpful in basically any aspect. We don’t even realize it when we’re weighing the pros and cons of decisions in our everyday lives, but we use them when deciding if we’ll have time to stop for coffee on the way to work and if that will make us late for work and what will happen if we are late, etc. On an even larger scale, we use them when trying to make decisions about what career path we may choose or if an opportunity opens up for us to move halfway across the country for an amazing new job. It’s important to balance out the decision-making process into ways that gives each part a fair chance, this way you’re not biased by already leaning in one direction.

• I think in general decision trees could be used in any aspect of life, whether business, school, assessing personal goals, and situation or scope that involves us weighing decisions and wanting to review the clear outcome of our choice. Now that I’ve learned about them, I was thinking to do one for a home remodeling project. I could use thee decision tree to explore and view & review pricing, material, options, and so forth. It could help get the big picture of all my options as well as clarify if I have made the right decision.

• I plan on using this week’s concepts in my day to day job. I recently took on a new position at work and there are now standard operating procedures (SOP). One of my goals for this year is to develop some SOP’s and I feel that business rules and decision trees will be extremely helpful in that process. Some of the areas that it will be helpful will be when processing credits, RMA’s, an aircraft entry into service and setting up new customer accounts. Many of these processes are basic in nature and have a lot of yes or no decisions, but require multiple people to be a part of the process. Going thru many of these processes it has required asking different people and using a decision tree and some business rules will make it standard for everyone.

• Decision Trees are a great way to plan for all possible outcomes in one’s personal or professional lives. It is a great way to plan, think ahead and look at various alternatives. You can visualize the overall effect of each decision. In Sales and Marketing I am constantly planning for any possible outcome. If I am pre-call planning for an important meeting I think about where the conversation may go with my client. I realize it can go many different routes and I want to be prepared to speak intelligently or problem solve with whatever might come up in conversation. I realize that my client may say they are not interested in what I have to offer so I then need to have a back-up plan to pull them in. A decision Tree can be a huge help and in some aspect I am already using this tool. I realize it can also be a great way to help guide our children in decision making. As my kids get older they will be faced with more mature and difficult choices in life. This is a great way to look ahead and discuss possible outcomes/consequences of their decisions/actions.

• I can think of many different situations where a decision tree would be helpful. We are looking to move this summer and I think that a decision tree could help in the process of figuring out where would be best to move. There are so many different things that need to be considered when relocating. I really didn’t give it too much thought at first. However, I need to make sure the area is safe and the schools are good. I also want to look for someplace that is convenient to our everyday commute. Having a decision tree could definitely make this process easier.

• Well decision trees can be used for quite literally any aspect of life as well as their application to information systems. For instance with a pay check one could formulate a decision tree in regards to what to spend the money on. If I spend it here will I miss a bill there etc. One could use a decision tree to further this idea with a monthly budget to determine what are priorities and what aren’t. Decision trees could be used to view opportunity costs in a round about way as well. Decision trees allow anyone to formulate what the better option and outcome would be. Say I have a limited amount of time available between school and work. I could map out a decision tree to decide what to tackle between work and school and what to do after school. There is a practical application for decision trees with any aspect of life.

• Decision trees would help me explain and set-up my workout schedule. I usually workout every other day, so if I worked out the day before, I don’t need to workout. I alternate my workouts between lifting weights and going on a run. However, I check the weather each week and try to adjust my workout schedule so that I run on the nicest days of the week. During the winter, I look for the warmest day of the week, and days that will be sunny. If I find one of these days, I might workout two days in a row in order to take advantage of the nice weather. If I don’t find a sunny and warm day, I took for a day that will at least be warmer than the other days. If it’s rainy the whole week, I’ll still make sure I go for a run. If it’s snowing (and very cold), I won’t run. Instead, I’ll lift or do body weight exercises depending on how much energy I have that day.
    When it’s warm, sunny, and I’m home in the middle of the day, I take my dog for a walk in addition to my scheduled workout.
    Using a decision tree would allow me (and those I’m explaining my workout schedule to) to easily follow my decision process and come to a conclusion.

• Decision trees are a great aspect to be used whether it is for business, school or personal tasks. One aspect how to plan out a study plan to figure out many things. One thing would be is trying to plan a weekend socializing with others or going on adventures. If I am able to figure out what needs to get done throughout the week, the weekends would be lighter and my homework and studying can be focused on throughout the week. This way I am not rushing and stressing on the weekend as well as the weekdays. On top of that, it will keep me focused.

• The decision tree is helpful in many areas other than information systems such as planning for a trip, being prepare for a job interview, building a study plan for a semester, and defining your job responsibilities at workplace. By mapping out branches from a subject, we can easily see potential outcomes without much effort. I would say that the decision tree is an easy way to get possible outcomes to draw our personal, business, and school plans. We can list many ideas in one tree for each subject visibly, and a tree can be a guide to accomplish a goal.

• I feel like every choice I make I take myself through a decision tree. From getting up at 6am to workout or sleeping in and working at after work. Or eating chicken for dinner or making a cheese steak. Each choice requires a decision tree and outcomes that come with each choice. If I eat that cheese steak then I’m getting up at 6am to do the workout, if I choose chicken then its ok to sleep in and workout after work, but if I want to do really well in the upcoming races, I need to work out at 6am and again after work every day. Each missed workout and each bad eating habit choice I make result in bad outcomes. Conversely, each attended workout and each good eating habit choice result in good outcomes. This is just one little aspect of life, imagine all the other decisions [trees] that I make on a daily basis. Perhaps I should get this decision tree on paper to help visualize the process and maybe it will lead to better choices being made, more often than not.

• Decision trees are constantly used throughout sports and certain competitions. I’ve seen many tree diagrams before we had reviewed them for hot dog eating contests, fantasy football, beer pong tournaments (all of age), and investments for mapping out finances. All of these work with decision trees because there is a single decision needing to be made “win or lose?”, or many such as “invest – yes or no?” and “profitable or not?”. These are just some other areas I’ve seen decision trees being helpful other than information systems.

• Decision trees are extremely useful in the business work but I can see how I could use them in my everyday life. We can use them for simple things such as deciding where to go on vacation; this would work similar to the parents visiting decision tree. This would be helpful because it would put all the possible options in one place and allow you to chose the best spot based on the criteria. As a visual person, this would help me tremendously. For instance, you may choose to stay domestic rather than travel internationally based on, vacation time, time of the year, or budget. Conversely, you could use one to determine what time of the year would be best to travel to a specific destination.

• I work as an office manager and I like decision trees for how I answer phone calls. We are a small business but we have three different departments. Often, the managers for the departments will be out of the office so I try to gather as much information as possible to direct the person to the proper department. Decision trees help me know what question and information I need to get next.

• Decision Trees are clear and simple in the way that they can help break down complex business rules into easy to read diagrams. Using the same platform, decision trees can, literally be used to help understand and make everyday choices. I have tried to use this concept in everyday choices and home life. As a parent, there are a lot of “do this” and “don’t do that…unless this happens, then do this” and “if this occurs, it’s better if you do this”. There are no written rules for parenting or how to rear children. So a decision tree could be used to gather all the different “rules” and apply them to best fit your style of parenting.

• As an accounting major, we can use decision trees to create more efficient systems to help manage costs. By outlining what goes on in the company, we can cut down and make more efficient processes which help in reduce spending. The accounting profession is becoming more analytical than just book keeping. Decision trees and information systems in general help with the validity of this field.

• A decision tree is very useful when designing a desktop or mobile app. One of the most important components of designing an app is the user interface or user experience design. Often times, a designer will construct a decision tree to determine how best to guide the user through the app. The decision tree allows the designer to make easier choices in UI/UX by tailoring each stage of the process to the user’s goals.

• There are numerous occasions I find myself weighing out all my options to make a thorough decision from being a first time homeowner, parent and employee. A decision tree is a tangible tool to help weigh options with several possible outcomes. For example, in my job I was involved in several disaster recovery efforts. Our team had to implement a plan of action for our department in the event of an interruption of service. A decision tree would have been helpful in planning for each possible scenario.

• I always have trouble making decisions in my own life, especially when the outcome of the decision is something I can’t change. Like the activity during class on Tuesday, I would use decision trees to make life decisions. Being able to look forward to the possibilities of certain decisions would really help to have a clear picture of how I can move forward.

I work on a team of five people, and we have to influence the larger team that consists of over fifty people. I definitely think my team could utilize decision trees to better strategize on how we can connect with our team. We all have different personalities and some of us are better at connecting with certain team members than others may be. Utilizing decision trees we would more easily to present our strategy to our leaders.

• There are countless situations in which decision trees would be helpful. Being an indecisive person can be difficult at times and creating a decision tree, mental or otherwise, could help with day-to-day planning in regards to what needs to be done and how to spend money wisely. In a professional setting, decision trees would be useful in training new employees. I was supposed to train a new employee in my department last night and had created a mental decision tree of sorts for how I was going to go about training, but, unfortunately, my trainee did not show.

• Working in the marketing field, I can absolutely see decision trees working effectively when mapping out a plan for an existing or new client. Regardless if the account if for a website, PR or a development of a mobile application, we can apply the exact concept of a decision tree to each one. Mentally I already find myself mapping out the steps and thankfully for project management software, it can be mapped out even easier. But a decision tree would make things easier to see on paper to avoid as many mistakes as can happen without seeing a project in writing from point A to point B.

• I think decision trees are one of the most useful things we’ve discussed in class thus far. I could use a decision tree for almost anything, and run through mental ones all the time. I could create several to go through various processes in my day-to-day responsibilities at work, which is helpful for training new employees and giving supervisors a look into how it’s done. Making one would also help make sure I wasn’t skipping any important steps in the process.

• I think that decision trees are very useful in all business fields in addition to information systems. For example, when implementing a new marketing strategy for a brand, one could develop a decision tree to determine the advantages and disadvantages of each decision when implementing the strategy. Even outside of the business world, one can use a decision tree for personal decisions such as a job hunt or spending money.

• I feel like a decision tree is useful in so many different situations. I think it could be especially useful in the banking industry. The banking industry utilizes many different services in order to track the flow of money. It can be used to show how the flow process works, which accounts the money could come out of (i.e. savings/checking), who is responsible for certain cases, and many more ways. Because banks have so many components that go into making sure their customers money is safe and easily accessible to them if need be as well as keeping track of credit/debit cards and many other situations, a decision tree can be an easy way to be able to look at the flow of all of these components and how they can work together to provide a more efficient service.