MIS2502 Featured Items

The Points/Extra Credit Assignment

Here are the instructions for the optional assignment. It is worth "portfolio points" for MIS Majors and extra credit for everyone. The due date is May 1, 2012 at 11:59 PM. Since this is extra credit and optional, no late assignments will be accepted under any circumstances!

Read More

Week 9 Question: Due March 22

Answer one of the following questions as a comment on this post.

Submit your contribution by 11:00 AM on Thursday, March 22. It should be insightful (don’t just repeat back facts from the class), but it doesn’t need to be more than a few sentences. Most of all, I want to know what you think!

1. Based on our discussion in class, how would you convince a reluctant manager that they should adopt a company’s existing data standards when developing a new database system?
  2. Give an example, other than those we discussed in class, of how the same piece of data could be represented multiple ways, requiring them to be reconciled before they were placed into a data mart.

45 Responses to “Week 9 Question: Due March 22”

• Ariel Johnson-Peredo:

1. Based on our discussion in class, how would you convince a reluctant manager that they should adopt a company’s existing data standards when developing a new database system?

If a merger between two companies was happening (which occurs often) and the other company we were merging with had a more efficient way of storing data I would drive home three key components. Adopting their way of storing data will allow us to retrieve data more quickly, cause us to make less errors with the data, and ultimately save us lots of time and money. If the company that we are merging with has data that has a quicker retrieval method, with data that takes up less space and the data is in a more secure environment then ours it is on our best interest to adopt their system of data standards. Ultimately I would explain that their data standards have less redundancies and information is more secure that is why we should adopt their system. For example, last summer when I was interning one company took over another and it was my team’s responsibility to be trained and learn about SAP, so that we could do a full launch of SAP with information obtained from the company that was being taken over. This is just one real world example of one company needing to conform to to the data standards of another company.

• #2. One example where one piece of data could be represented in multiple ways is the type of currency used. If the company has global subsidiaries, or does business with suppliers out of the country, the lack of a proper currency conversion could result in major financial issues and lead to a loss of certain suppliers. The US dollar is equated to 83.6 Japanese Yen; if we did not convert the pricing of the yen, we would accrue an exorbitant amount of expenses and would drastically hurt our business.

I would give the manager simple facts . For example:

1. We know where the data came from
    2. Know its layout
    3. The accuracy
    4. The format
    5. Easier to understand between employees and managers
    6. No need to re-train or re-study the data
    7. Redundant information across the company will give us wrong information about our products, customers, etc.

• Question #1: I would convince a reluctant manager that they should adopt a company’s existing data standard because it reduces redundancy and spaces needed. In fact, taking control over the existing data standards is good but with another new database system will be much better. This is because the reluctant manager will have strong authority on either quality control. So I think that if the company adopts not just the existing data but also the new database system, then this will allow reducing errors, confusion, and data performance standard. But just in any case, I could probably persuade or use my other examples in other real life situation to convince a reluctant manager to use this kind of existing data at the same time.

• Moses Kim:

1)

First I would explain to the reluctant manager that by changing your companies data standards can have multiple benefits. One being, greater efficiency for the company. By have a single sheet with matching data entries makes its easier for company’s to retrieve data. The process would take longer if the manager would have to try and connect multiple data sheets to retrieve information.

• Daniel Van Norton:

Another way that data could be represented in multiple ways is with the conversions and spellings of the metric system. Without the proper conversions of the dual usages of metric and non-metric units the result could be catastrophic. In order to prevent this situation from occurring there needs to be clarity with variations in spelling, and conversion of units.

• Based on our discussion in class, how would you convince a reluctant manager that they should adopt a company’s existing data standards when developing a new database system?

I would convince a manager to adopt a company’s existing data standards by explaining the extreme time savings associated with the conversion of that data. Having two different forms of the same data poses a time loss for retrieving data and also makes errors more common. This is an important factor when discussing the benefits of adopting another standard. Another is that it creates value for your customers by increasing the productivity and efficiency of your data management. Any manager would be more prone to adopt something when it benefits both their company and their customers.

• Another type of data that we did not discussed in class is the time. It will have to be converted if different databases have different formats of the time. For instance, if company A has the time format of 12 hours, and company B has the time format of 24 hours, data will have to be converted in either 12 or 24 hours, because otherwise, it will not make any sense in one of the databases.

To convince the manager, I would explain that keeping the exisiting data would allow us to know the data needs that the business needs and it’s accuracy, the employees are familiar with the data so the need to retrain would be minimal, and we eliminate the redundancy of data across the business so errors and conflicting information is reduced.

• 2) A very common inconsistency in data input that could cause problems in a database (we probably talked about this in class) is phone numbers. A phone number can either be (123) 456 – 7890 or 123 – 456 – 7890 or 1234567890. It would be very difficult to remedy these multiple formats so the best thing to do is design the application to only allow a specefic format.

• #1.
    I would convince the manager to adopt existing data standards by explaining that in doing so will maintain highest level of accuracy and reduce the possibility error within the data. As a manager, having accurate information such as sales data is crucial for making decisions. It should be a business goal to have a single view of data within the organization. Adopting existing data standards will minimize redundancy and insure the format of our data stays the same. In the end, adopting existing standards will make his job easier by making data mining more efficient.

• Tessa West:

An example of how the same piece of data could be represented multiple ways, requiring them to be reconciled before they were placed into a data mart would be a persons’ name. People can enter their name various ways. For example Alanna Owens; Alanna L Owens; Alanna Lee Owens; Alanna Owens-Bacon; Alanna L Owens Bacon etc. In order to verify that this is the same customer the system would need to check the rest of the credentials verifying that a great percentage of the rest of the customers information is the same.

I would convince the manager to adopt existing data standards by first explaining that this will be more efficient for our company. Since there is already data stored there is less risk for errors and redundancy which could be a major issue if the manager decided to start a new data store. Additionally, the data is already in the system so all of the employees are familiar with it which would save time and money for training costs and any errors that could arise when implementing a new data store. Data mining will be much easier if the manager adopts the old system because it will include the most accurate information. This will also make it easier to expand upon and improve in the future since this system is already established.

In China, I worked with an international trade company. We imported and exported a variety of commodities from machines, clothes, foods, and papers. All shipping companies in the world offer two different sized standard cargo containers, 20 x 20 inches and 40 x 40 inches. The volume of products came from the manufacturing were recorded and calculated by cubic meters. So, we must convert all relative data with meters into inches to keep the consistency. Otherwise, it would create extra cost with overloads or shortages.

• Question #1
    I would convince a reluctant manager to adopt a company’s existing data standards when developing a new database system by explaining the key points of how difficult, time consuming, and stressful it is to change a data system, if anything goes wrong like entering the wrong data or making an error in the data somewhere. So by keeping the same data standards, there would be no information need to be transformed. It would also save significant amount of time and money.

• Frederick Saporito:

Question 1.
    To convince a reluctant manager they need to adopt another companies data standards one must convince them how easy it will make everyday transactions. If the data is stored neatly and more organized it can then be queried and found and analyzed more easily. people are very reluctant to change but you have to make your manager see the worth it is to have this new data standards to make everyday work tasks go so much smoother. Many managers would love to be explained how this can be of cost savings to the company. The manager is always willing to save money when he or she can in this type of economy. the minute that savings of money is introduced will instantly spark this reluctant manager and ease the transition to the new standards.

• Cui Zhong:

To convince a reluctant manager to adopt a company’s existing data standards when developing a new database system, I would explain the manager that it would save time and money. When an employee enters data inconsistently, the time of the chance for error would increase; it would wasted money and times to solve the complications. A new database system would be a big save of employees’ time and effort.

• 2. one example of how the same piece of data could be represented multiple ways is If a company is seeking for oversea business then they will face a currency conversion. For example if ebay would extend their business for chinese users then they have to conversion the US dollar to Yuan. If they did not make a convert then it would drastically hurt their business at China .

• Lauren Gallant:

2) I actually see an instance of how the same piece of data can be represented multiple ways when I work at the Admissions call center. We occasionally will call the same student multiple times for the same segment. A student will say, “I just talked to someone yesterday about this.” In these instances a student often filled out multiple records or there will be a misspelling in his or her record. Many students don’t take their time when filling out the forms and we call “Tiwothy’s” and students with blank first names but “multiple” last names. In this instance, we are actually seeing the effects of not reconciling the data before using it.

• 1) To convince a reluctant manager that they should adopt a company’s existing database standards, I would show him that the data of that company is organized in a more comprehensible way than the one he has. The employees can manage that data more easily and faster, which will improve their productivity and decrease the risk of having errors and confusion. I can also add the fact that by having a simple organization of the data, the company will not face any difficulties in the transitions since the data is more accurate.

• Paul Murray:

1. To convince a reluctant manager they need to adopt another companies data standards would be to tell them the benefits of doing so. The benefits include accuracy, less errors, less stress, the time savings, and the easy conversion rate. If the manager is smart, he/she would notice that all of this would help the business save and maintain their revenue stream.

• Joseph Musumeci:

2. An example of how the same piece of data can be represented multiple ways is time. One could use standard time, and another could use military time. One would like “3:00″ and the “15:00″.

• Cathryn Zimmerman:

Based on our discussion in class, how would you convince a reluctant manager that they should adopt a company’s existing data standards when developing a new database system?

1. I would convince a manager to adopt an existing data standard by communicating how the investment would be worth it. Adopting these standards will increase efficiency and make the company more liable for their actions. It will reduce errors and be profitable in the long run because of the money saved from efficient management and lack of mistakes.

• Samantha Roshannon:

Another way the same piece of data could be represented a different way is by email address. For example, at temple, we have the given email address tua93300, tub28938, tuc32840 etc. However, most people change their’s to look more professional and make it easier to remember. This might cause an error in data transformation when trying to sync two databases together. Personally, I have my tub email address,along with two other ones just for my temple account. I usually stick to the shortest version of my name, however, I purchased many items with my other email addresses before creating the shortened version.

• Question 1.
    Based on our discussion, I would convince the manager with points of efficiency and of saving expense in the future. Due to data redundancy as an example, our company will not need to pay unnecessary expense to employees to figure out errors. Starting a project without a plan will cause complicaitons in the future.

• Anthony Pody:

2) One way that a piece of data can be interpreted in multiple ways is when people are told to list their full name and they put their middle initial or a suffix, while another piece of data separates the name by first and last. When you try to combine the data it would not work, even if you first added the first and last names into one name from the second part. For instance, “Bob D. Smith” and Bob Smith” would not work, neither would Bob Smith Jr.” and “Bob Smith”

• Cierra Cople:

One example of how the same piece of data could be represented multiple ways is if a shoe company uses 5 different country measurement conversions (US, UK, FR, JP, CHN) to sell shoes all over the world. This could cause problems in the construction a data mart because it would be confusing to see a measurement for the same exact shoe but instead of it saying a size 6 in the US it says 5.5 for the UK, 38.5 FR, 245 JP, and 235 for CHN those measurements would be inconsistenet with the typical US measurements you are familiar with.

• Dana:

Adopting existing standards when developing a new database system can save a manager time, space, and the chance of error. By accessing multiple sources of information that has been compiled efficiently in one place, employees no longer have to refer to multiple resources to gather data. Although storage space is cheap, it’s always best to have more of it, and standardizing data can free up space for other business operations, especially when there is a large database. Additionally, adopting standards will reduce the chance of redundancy and error when referring to data. The sound of increased efficiency and easy retrieval of the data should be convincing enough to the manager.

I would convinced the reluctant manager to adopt another company’s data standards by explaining all of the benefits. First, the data has a known source with a familiar layout. The data will be accurate and free of errors and easy to understand. It is important to have accurate data when making any decisions. If you adopt data standards that already exist, you’re going to be able to minimize redundant data and keep consistency.

• 2. A piece of data that could be entered in multiple ways is seen in international building companies who design and receive floor plans in both US and Metric measurements. Containing all the data in the same system would require editing to have matching formats for inventory and costing purposes.

• #1 Based on our discussion in class, the way to convince a reluctant manager that they should adopt a company’s existing data standards when developing a new database system is by showing how the adaptation would make analysis easier therefore help better form company strategies.

• Question #2
    One example of how the same piece of data could be represented multiple ways, requiring them to be reconciled before they were placed into a data mart involves social security numbers (I do not believe we talked about this in class). There are several methods by which this data may be put into a data mart. Three examples include: 111-11-1111, 111 11 1111, or 111111111. The inclusion of spaces or dashes, or lack there of, can vary from case to case. If this occurs, the data must be standardized. Many times, websites, when asking customers/employees to provide data, will show the proper methods by which to accomplish this task. This is carried out to avoid any complications relating to social security numbers when analyzing the data in the future.

• Dehui Zeng:

To convince a reluctant manager that they should adopt a company’s existing data standards, I may show them that the new database system has more benefits than the old one. It can reduce data redundancy, increase the accuracy. It is more efficiency and user friendly–users can easily retrieve and better understand information which will save time and effort in future training. It converts the data into a better and consistent format to avoid error.

• Sarah Tuchinsky:

To convince a reluctant manager to adopt another companies existing data standards, I would inform them of the benefits of doing so. Adopting the data standards that are already in place would reduce the chance for errors. Accuracy is extremely important in organizing data, so this would be a big benefit of using the existing data standards. This would also allow for the company to easily transition and not have to deal with developing new data standards.

• Janelle Grant:

An example of how data could be represented in multiple ways is demonstrated in our etl homework assignment. The County United States was also represented as US or USA in the data fields. These alternatives can throw off the system and not allow it to understand the information correctly. Another example is changing an phone number field from a seven digit number to a 10 digit number. You can also convert if from adding dashes to no dashes required to input the information.

• Kacper Rams:

In order to convince the manager to stay with the existing standards, firstly, I would present to him amount of data we have and the amount of work required to gather and put the data into the table. Later on, I would explain that the employees are already familiar we the old method and by implementing the existing standards the efficiency and effectiveness of their work will be much higher. Lastly, I would warn him about the possible risks that the new standards can create. Implementing new standards can create a significant problem in terms of data accuracy, which later can have a big impact on the organization’s performance.

• Colleen Weir:

1. It would not be difficult to convince a reluctant manager to adopt a company’s existing data standards when developing a new database system because you could lay out the costs and it would should a significant benefit in adopting the existing data standards. The reason for this reduction of costs would be from the savings in time spent developing new data standards, the risk associated with the new data standards, and of course the efficiency of work due to reduce downtime of the system.

• When developing a new database, it’s very important to maintain the existing data standards to avoid confusion, risks of error, or displacement of customer information. Changing data standards triggers mistakes, which sometimes can cause a huge problem for the company and affect its potential sales. For example, if the existing system identifies each unique customer by his or her email address, and the new system suggest identifying each customer by first and last names. We can merge two systems together, but still maintain the main id as email address to decrease the risk of error and redundancy. Also, people who primarily work with databases get used to the existing standards, and will slow the process if they have to adapt to new standards.

• Chad Unera:

First, I would give the manager facts on how its current process stands compared to the already existing data standards of another company. In addition, I would state the costs and risks the company will take on when implementing and developing a new database system and how theses same risks and costs are worth the implementation. In theory it will out perform the the company’s current database system and will help the company operate at a much more efficient level without the high risk and costs it would undertake with the current and outdated system.

• 1.Based on our discussion in class, how would you convince a reluctant manager that they should adopt a company’s existing data standards when developing a new database system?
    I would advise the reluctant manager that it is in their best interest to adopt the company’s existing data only if it is more highly effective then the new data set that the company is trying to implement. However, there may me a need for changes within the data standards and ensuring that the standards meets all needs and wants of the manager is trying to exceed in when doing or processing a data analysis report. I would merge the company’s existing data standards as well as the new database and take time to see what’s needed and what should be removed permanently from the database system. It’s such a hard decision for a manager to just agree with such a thing but If I’m aware of the already data standards and will try my best to convince with confidence and knowledge that adopting the existing data along with adding new developing standards is the right way to go.

• an example of data being represented in different ways can be how speed in most countries is measured in kilometers per hour whereas the US used miles per hour. for example, this should be reconciled when converting german made BMW’s from their acceleration and braking times, they need to be converted from kilometers per hour to miles per hour to reflect American measurements.

• #2 Data is often originally presented in different ways and must be reconciled. One example that always bothers me is with phone numbers. A few sites have little segmented boxes for inputting phones numbers, but in the majority of sites this is not the case. I never know if I should enter one long string of numbers, or leave 2 spaces, or 1 space, or dashes, or parentheses. While the data technically doesn’t have to be reconciled, if they just use it to look up, it would be easier for them if they reconciled it before inputting it into a data mart, or just made it easier to format initially.

• Based on our discussion in class, how would you convince a reluctant manager that they should adopt a company’s existing data standards when developing a new database system?

Convincing the reluctant manager to adopt a company’s existing data standards is simply a matter or cost and time. Developing a new database system with different data standards would be inefficient and may produce unnecessary cost to the company to analyze and repair errors. Avoiding redundant data will save the company any added expenses on maintenance and will generate a database that is accurate and consistent.

• Nicholas Nendel:

I would explain to him that it the most practical way and will actually save time and money. If we do not use the existing data standards it will take a very long time to first change all the data. I would tell the manager that you can keep the data intact and just modify it to “fit” into the new database system.

• Question #2

A piece of data that could be entered multiple ways would be measurements. International companies may have multiple ways of entering measurements (such as gallons to liters; feet to meters) as well as different currencies (U.S. dollars to Euros). All of these pieces of data would have to be transformed in order to be properly analyzed.

Leave a Reply