Prof Patrick J Wasson, MS

Patrick J. Wasson

Week 9 Update

Hi Class,

To recap: Last night we covered PDO, which involved writing PHP that both inserted, updated, deleted and selected data stored in a MySQL database.

For next week: 1) Read the Murach assigned pages 2) Practice everything we covered with PDO thus far 3) Work on challenge 4.1

4) Take a look at the Debugging post above and see if you can enable debugging on your own pc.  Once you have debugging enabled you can test it out in netbeans.  Please see the following tutorial: https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/php/debugging.html

Next week we continue PDO coverage with PDO Exercise 4 and Challenge 4.1.  We will also cover PHP Debugging which will help you troubleshoot your code during exam 2. We will also cover functions.

As a reminder: The last day to withdraw from the class is 3/21/18.  Please contact me before 3/21/18 if you have any questions.

Pat

Professional Achievement Points Project

The Professional Achievement Points Project has been posted.  This project is totally optional.  It is not required.  It is not extra credit.  It is, however, an opportunity to earn some MIS Professional Achievement Points.  See the “Points Project” tab for details.  You’ll need to know some more about PDO to do the project, but I wanted everyone to the project description.

If you are interested in earning professional achievement points for programming, please see this document: Portfolio-Points-Project-MIS3501-Sonny-Shines

Pat

SQL Quiz and Current Grades Posted

Hi Class,

I have posted the results from the MySQL quiz to the grade book. The grade posted is out of 33 points, so divide the points posted by 33 to get your percentage grade.  In addition, I have posted your current course grades given both quizzes and exam 1.  Your current course grade accounts for 45% of the points for the course.  As a reminder: You will need at least a 72.50% in order to pass the course.

As a reminder: The last day to withdraw from the class is 3/21/18.  Please contact me before 3/21/18 if you have any questions.

Pat

Week 7 Update

Hi Class,

To recap: Last night we took the MySQL quiz and reviewed the solution to Exam 1.  Grades up to this point have been posted.

Next week will be Spring Break!  We will not have class on 3/6/17.

Once we return from Spring Break we will cover connecting our PHP code to a MySQL database using PDO.

To prepare for 3/13: 1) Read the assigned pages in Murach 2) Take a look at the exercises we will cover

As a reminder, I will be out of the office with limited access to e-mail the week of Spring Break.  I will respond to any e-mails when I return on 3/12.

Have a great spring break and see you all on 3/13!

Pat

Week 6 Update

Hi Class,

To recap: last night we covered MySQL, interpreting an ERD, and writing SQL queries based on an ERD.  We also went through a number of exercises writing SQL queries.

Next week we will have the MySQL quiz, which will require you to write numerous SQL queries based on a database schema diagram I provide.  The format will be very similar to the exercises in that I will provide you with a starter .sql file which you will need to import into phpmyadmin.  You will then be asked to write a number of SQL queries using the ERD as a guide.  At the end of the exam you will then e-mail me the file containing your SQL queries.  To practice be sure to go through all of the readings, videos and exercises.  There may be some questions that ask for functions that we may not have directly covered in the exercises (Some examples could include: substr, like, datediff, str_to_date etc…), but you will be expected to perform with a working foundation knowledge of MySQL queries.

Also be sure to use the Mastery Grids website for additional MySQL practice!

After the quiz we will will review the results and go over the solution for Exam 1.

Have a great week

Pat

Week 5 Update

Hi Class,

To recap: Last night we took Exam 1, reviewed the HTML quiz and completed the MySQL Presentation.  I have posted your HTML quiz grades.  We will review Exam 1 and I will have your grades back to you on 2/27/17.

For next week: 1) Go through the MySQL Training videos posted in the syllabus 2) Ensure you can access http://misdemo.temple.edu/phpmyadmin/index.php using the credentials provided in the gradebook 3) Take a look at the exercises we will be covering next week

As a reminder: the MySQL Quiz will be on 2/27/17.

Have a great week!

Pat