Supply Chains – at Internet Speed
Search

Q&A: Ethics and Green Supply Chains

From our class discussion, here is the personal carbon calculator to check your impact on the environment (click here).  Will you pay to offset your carbon credit? Why or why not?

26 Responses to Q&A: Ethics and Green Supply Chains

• I will not currently be paying to offset my carbon credit because I have no money. Ideally I would like to be able to support the environment, but realistically it is not high enough on my priorities list to justify the spending at this time.

• My offset is $705 and would not pay for that price due to the fact that I try to reduce carbon emission as much as I can. I also chose the options which reduced carbon credit the most because that’s fits my life style. This website doesn’t seem very realistic at all either. I think it’s more beneficial for companies to pay for carbon credit because it has much for an impact than individuals.

• I would not pay to offset my carbon impact.
    FIrst because i am a college student, there are more important things i should spend my money on.
    Second, because I am doing almost everything I can to be more environmentally friendly and I don’t think my impact is great enough to have a big impact. Carbon credit is more for large scale organizations and companies who impact is greater than that of an individual.

• I would not pay pay for my carbon impact as I believe their are far more important things I have that I need to spend money on at the money. I have limited money to begin with and this would just be a unnecessary extra expense which would have minimal impact on the environment as a whole.

• I would not pay for my carbon footprint. I would rather know exactly how and where my money is going to use by doing things to minimize my footprint.

• I would not pay because I think it is more of an obligation for a corporation or large organization that is polluting the atmosphere and the earth hundreds of thousands of pounds per week, and to say that they can calculate a persons carbon responsibility is ridiculous. Maybe the government should pay a tax.

• I would not pay for my carbon impact because I am a student that does not have extra money to be spending on things like this. I have a lot more to be paying for first. This can benefit companies way more than it can individuals because it can a a much bigger impact.

• Currently the cost to offset my carbon footprint is $405. I actively try to reduce my footprint, however I think that I am not solely responsible for all of these cost. I also don’t think that paying $405 would reduce these effects. For that reason and the act that I don’t have an extra $405 to spend, I would not pay this to reduce my footprint.

• I would not pay the cost to offset my carbon footprint. The cost to mitigate my carbon footprint would be $605. I already take as many steps as I can to offset my carbon footprint, and believe that companies and multinational corporations are doing far worse damage then I am to the environment. Maybe in the future I will consider paying this price, but I will have to see even more drastic negative impacts to the environment for me to consider this.

• I would not pay to offset my carbon footprint because I don’t have a noticeable affect on the environment. Developing countries emit massive amounts of pollution every day.

• I would not pay to offset my carbon footprint because I don’t have the money to do so. I also don’t think that any of my negative impact and affect to the environment alone is worth it.

• I would not pay to reduce my carbon footprint because I don’t think individuals have as much effect as large corporations or the government do. They should be the ones paying for this.

• I was actually surprised with my carbon footprint as I anticipated it be a lot higher based on the amount of times I drive and fly each year. On a personal level I would like to be able to access more organic and logically grown produce and meat and implement them into my everyday as much as possible while also driving a more fuel efficient car, but I guess both will have to wait until I have the finances available to change my current lifestyle.

• While I do agree that paying for carbon credit would have a positive impact on the environment, I would not pay for it as of right now. As a college student, I’m paying enough money as it is and since I won’t be working until the end of the semester, I don’t think I could afford to pay for it either. Corporations have a much larger effect on the environment than we as individuals do so they should be the ones paying for carbon credit since that will have a much larger impact.

• I do believe that paying for carbon credit would have a positive outcome for society, I do not have the funds to pay for it currently and I can’t imagine electing to pay for it in the future. I think the best way to fix this problem is to tax companies who will in turn take money out of paychecks.

• I personally, would not pay for my carbon credit, because while supporting the environment is good, I am currently a college student with more important bills to pay. Also, I believe that this should be more of an obligation for businesses and manufacturers whose carbon outputs are the ones doing the most damage to the environment.

• I won’t pay for carbon credit right now with my current finance. My carbon credit was around $300 but i expected it to be much higher because I drive alot. I believe that although individuals can help, it won’t impact the environment as much unless lots of individuals start to do it.

• At this time in my life, I would not pay to offset my carbon impact for two main reasons. First of all, I am a college student and I already have a limited amount of disposable income (in any).
    Second, I live in an apartment complex where I have little control over the type of lighting, heating, etc. Therefore, if there was a time in my life when I would own up and pay for my carbon footprint it would be when I own my own place. Not now as a renter.

• The cost to offset my carbon footprint would be $1140-I drive way too much! I wont pay to offset my carbon footprint but I have worked with non-profit organizations that work on bettering the environment. But I do think I should try to reduce my carbon foot print.

• I calculated my carbon footprint for my house that I live in here at school, and it is $1,320. I do my best to be environmental friendly but it is not financially possible for me to justify donating over $1,000 for this cause. However, I believe that some people would be interested in donating towards this cause so it is not a bad idea at all.

• My carbon footprint is about $250… Most of it comes from my apartment, but it’s pretty much out of my control. My landlord has control over heating during the winter, so there is no way I can turn it off or adjust it. Also, he doesn’t have recycling for the building, which make it difficult for me to recycle things since I don’t have a car and there’s no recycling center in walking distance from me.

• My carbon footprint is $285. I will not pay to offset it because I can do other frugal ways to reduce my carbon footprint such as turn off the lights more often and install efficient appliances.

• I would not pay to offset my carbon credit now, but only because I don’t have a steady source of income yet. Once I start working, I would not mind paying a carbon credit as long as everyone else was as well. That being said, people always find loopholes and I doubt the system would work as intended

• My carbon footprint is at $270. This is below the U.S. national average. I do feel like i try to be environmentally friendly so it is good to see my efforts pay off. I would pay the $270, however, I just don’t have a steady source of income and cannot afford to make that kind of payment.

• Just like everyone else has been saying, I do not think I would pay my carbon credit right now. I was surprised that my impact on the environment was valued in the lower hundreds. I like to think that I am an environmentally friendly person, and by using this calculator, I can target the areas in which I need to improve. However, I do believe that this website is a very general calculation and that our carbon footprints are somewhat inaccurate. I think that asking individuals to pay money to offset their environmental impact is impractical, and I think emphasis should be placed on individuals spending their money on becoming more environmentally (purchasing organic foods and products made of natural materials, carpooling or decreasing vehicle usage, installing energy efficient lights and sun panels in your homes, etc.) instead of just paying off their mistakes.

• I will not pay to offset my carbon emissions because it is too expensive. I cannot afford to currently pay for my carbon emissions, but I will increase my effort to be more efficient when using energies that cause emissions to reduce my carbon footprint.