MIS 3537 Internet & Supply Chains
Due Date: April 2, 2019
Refer to the case “Nike vs New Balance Case”
Answer the following questions briefly (6-7 lines each):
- Explain the importance of ethics in a supply chain? Why do global supply chain especially pose ethical issues for companies?
- List and give examples of any three ethical issues arising in global supply chains.
- With regard to the elimination of import tariffs on Vietnamese footwear, is what is good for Nike also in America’s economic interest? What about New Balance?
- Major drivers of success of Vietnam’s footwear manufacturing are purported to be its weakly enforced labor and environment standards and its generous subsidies to its state owned enterprises. Does this give Vietnamese firms an unfair competitive advantage over US firms?
- What recommendations would you give to US Trade Representative Michael From an? What should he do about import tariffs on Vietnamese footwear to level the playing field to allow Americans to compete and win in the global economy?