MIS 3537 Internet and Supply Chains
Due Date: March 26, 2019
Refer to the case “Evolution of the XBox Supply Chain”.
Answer the following questions briefly (6-7 lines each):
- Why do companies outsource production?
- List at least three ways in which information technology can help in this outsourcing?
- What are five critical metrics which companies should use to evaluate the performance of suppliers (contract manufacturers)? Explain.
- What supply chain changes did Microsoft make between XBox and XBox 360? What was the motivation for these changes?
- Microsoft planned to use three EMS firms for XBox 360, all manufacturing in China. What are the benefits and pitfalls of this approach?
All groups (expect the group making the presentation) are required to submit a printout of their answers to the instructor at the beginning of the class. Also, be prepared to discuss the case in the class.