In this project, you will learn how to create a usable website using the Genesis framework. The deliverable for this project is a site which will demonstrate your knowledge of Genesis and the basics of user experience design.
The Genesis framework
- Temple has a site license to lynda.com which includes excellent step-by-step tutorials on how to use Genesis. To access these tutorials, visit https://lynda.temple.edu/ and login using your Temple credentials
- Next click the following link: Learning Genesis for WordPress (note: you must first login as specified above to benefit from the Temple site license).
- The latest version of the Genesis framework is already available on the Community site.
- Please ignore the sections in the tutorial about Installing the Genesis Framework or working with templates.
- Start watching the Lynda tutorial and experiment using your own site.
- To create a site, hover on Hello,…, Sites, and click Create a Site.
- Click on the URL of the new site in the new message/alert to visit it.
- Send an email to the instructor with the URL of your new site. The instructor will activate the Executive Pro theme on your new site. This is the theme that the tutorial uses.
Create a site using the Genesis Executive Pro theme. The content is your new (fictional) consulting business. If you have a different idea for content, consult the instructor. Apply the course concepts to arrange the various components in a usable and interesting manner. The site should at the minimum contain the following.
- 6 pages or 6 posts. Each should have at least 100 words of content and one image. The titles and images should be appropriate and relevant. You can use filler text for the paragraphs.
- Home page that includes the Genesis Featured Page widget or the Genesis Featured Post widget to feature relevant content.
- Use the Genesis Responsive Slider on the home page to support the site goals.
- At least one menu including five menu items, and at least two sub-menus. The menus should support the site goals.
- Layout that uses at least one sidebar.
- Sidebar should include at the minimum the search widget and one other widget relevant to the site goals.
- Relevant image logo in the header
- Breadcrumbs enabled on the relevant pages.
Create a Word file that includes the following:
- The URL of the new site.
- A short one paragraph reflection that includes (a) site goals, (b) what you learned about user experience and website design, and (c) what is still missing.
- The due date is listed on the schedule.
- Submit the file on OWLbox.