MIS 4596 – Tony Messina -Sec 2 – Fall 2015

The end of Gmail?

Gmail is nearly 12 years old and has gained over 900 million users over the span of it’s existence. Google is now marketing Inbox by Google as simply an update to the current service, instead of a complete upheaval of the platform. In related current news, Dropbox today announced that the company will no longer continue it’s Mailbox feature, created to ”make mobile email easier”. In this shift, it’s interesting to note that with Gmail and other web-based email clients’ popularity, no company has been able to make a dent in the over 50% of market share controlled by iOS Mail and Outlook. In my opinion, the average consumer doesn’t need much more, and the average employee is in many cases required to use Outlook.

However, newer entrants to the market like Slack are rapidly gaining popularity, attempting to change the way workplace communication works. Instead of the usual reply/forward system, Slack is organized into ‘channels’ and 1-1 chats to keep teams and managers informed. Additionally, since Slack is internal to an organization, teams avoid the clutter of the ‘never empty’ inbox. With 500,000 daily active users spending 9 hours connected per day, in the first 8 months of being live, consumers are definitely showing interest in an alternative.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/12/05/google-ending-gmail/

http://www.businessinsider.com/slack-growth-after-one-year-2015-2

2 Responses to The end of Gmail?

• I’m a little wary about Google’s decision to “update” their current service. My personal experience with much of Google’s “new’ services have all been subpar to borderline unacceptable, from YouTube channel connections with Google+ to Google+ as a whole. Last time they tried to “update,” they essentially destroyed YouTube for many users and made it incredibly buggy and bothersome to navigate. GMail was one of the few Google services that always seemed to perform as expected. I agree with the above stated opinion that the average consumer doesn’t need much more, and particularly with the idea that the average employee is in many cases required to use Outlook. I’ve actually used Slack in a business environment and I really do think it can revolutionize how business communication occurs. I simply wish Google would leave GMail the way it is.

• Definitely agreed. I remember the sloppy transition that pretty much forced all youtube users to sign up for Google Plus…and look where that is today.