MIS4596 Sec 001 Fall 2017

Information Systems Integration – Tony Messina

Another Generation Faster… So What?

Qualcomm has begun testing on the next generation of mobile cellular networking technology (5G). To test the speed they used their X50 5G modem that came out a year ago. Qualcomm says “the modem achieved gigabit speeds in this test, but it is capable of 5Gbps speeds once full 5G deployments are completed.”  In able to ensure that the X50 modem worked with a smartphone environment, Qualcomm improved a new millimeter wave antenna that’s roughly the size of a nickle. The company says that it can fit two of these antennas in a smartphone, and though it is already the smallest millimeter wave design available, the plans are to shrink it by another 50 percent over the next twelve months.

To many people such as myself, we just naturally expect technology to get faster, smaller, cheaper every year (Moore’s Law). So telling us that our phones/mobile devices will just work faster isn’t going to get anyone jumping up and down.

The quick emergence of smartphones called for the demand of 3G for better voice capabilities and of 4G for more complex human interactions using voice and data. So now that the novelty is wearing off it’s unclear to see what big impact 5G will have on future networks.

What new features would you like to be able to perform on the new network?

What opportunities await?

In reference to current class discussions which one of the 3 categories of Christensen’s innovations would this technology fall under?

One theory or concept that I found cool was, ““Imagine getting video streams of a volleyball match or another sporting event then switching between the two from wherever you are using your mobile device,” “Today, 4G networks only let you view one at a time. 5G networks might allow you to watch both. Or if the game was covered using multiple cameras, you could get 360-degree perspective then zoom into what you really want to see.”

Pretty cool.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/16479398/qualcomm-first-5g-mobile-test-reference-design-snapdragon-636

Minute Eye Movements into Spoken Words

Eye-gaze technology gives those who possess communication difficulties, the ability to communicate with others. How does it work? “Movements of the pupils are translated into movements of a cursor through infrared technology and the cursor chooses letters or symbols. A speech-generating device transforms these written words into spoken ones – and, in turn, sentences and stories form…” These devices allow people to do more than just communicate with others; it can allow them to compose music and paint as well. There is one downside to this; not everyone can use it because some people does not meet the cognitive and or physical requirements of the system. For example, some people cannot move their eyes but they can blink. Those people will have to use alternatives such as speech-to-text and/or text-to-speech functionality on mobile devices. Without a doubt, these technologies has revolutionized communication. For those patients who has ALS, “up to 80% have communication difficulties”, so you can already see the difference and impact that these technologies can and will have on the patients. So the question raised is what other conditions can you see that these types of technologies can be beneficial for? What other technologies can help with different conditions?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/oct/16/eyes-have-it-motor-neurone-disease-technology-talk-blink

Over 500 Million Users Mine Bitcoin Without Knowing It

bitcoin mining 500 million computers

The ad blocking firm AdGuard published a report that found up to 500 million users were visiting websites that ran background cryptocurrency mining software. AdGuard identified 220 popular websites that ran the crypto-mining scripts. Machines that visited these sits had their processing unit hijacked and used to mine bitcoin, which has generated an estimated $43,000 for the website hosts in the three weeks these scripts have been active, with little to no cost. While users were effected all over the world, the majority of users were from the United States (18.66%), followed by India, Russia, and Brazil (13.4%, 12.44%, 8.13%, respectively). 57% of the websites that utilized in-browser cryptocurrency mining consist of four major categories: TV/Movies (22.27%), File Sharing (17%), Adult (10%), and News/Media (7.73%).

There are major ethical issues that arise when websites begin using visitors computer power to generate revenue without informing them. It is difficult to monitor whether or not a website is deploying stealth mining, and therefore becomes difficult to regulate that websites that partake in the practice request permission from users.

Should websites have to ask for permission to use your computer for crypto-mining? How would you feel about websites using this to replace revenue generated from advertisements? Would that be better or worse?

Sources: https://news.bitcoin.com/half-billion-people-mining-cryptocurrencies/
http://www.newsweek.com/500-million-pcs-secretly-mining-cryptocurrency-research-bitcoin-683982

Salesforce Reshuffles SaaS, PaaS in Internet of Things and AI

Salesforce enters and gains the main position in the artificial intelligence (AI)  and the Internet of Things (IoT) markets. Salesforce is promoting Software-as-a-Service (SaaS). They are adding a Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) development layer into its SaaS applications. Their SaaS and the value of cloud are successful. Through adding a PaaS development layer to its Saas applications, customers can build their own software solutions to meet their business needs.  For example, according to Gartner, the global Saas market size will grow from $46.3 billion in 2017 to $75.7 billion in 2020 and for PaaS market, it will grow revenue from $7.2 billion in 2016 to $14.8 billion in 2020. Additionally,  Salesforce’s AI perspective has begun with WAVE analytics platform three years ago and released Einstein AI platform last year. Salesforce recently announced IoT Explorer Edition in order to develop IoT applications quickly. The new Salesforce IoT is based on its Saas platform and enables clients to turn device data directly into customer context. As a result, Salesforce’s new IoT Explorer improve the positioning of its IoT and AI capabilities. IoT Explorer can translate IoT data into its service cloud and other devices.

Do you think Salesforce IoT’s revolution can be a trend in the future IoT cloud services? How do think about Salesforce IoT is the best option for company’s Internet of Things?

Related Readings:

Salesforces IoT Strategy by Technewsworld

Salesforce Reshuffles SaaS, PaaS in Internet of Things and AI by Ecommerce times

Salesforce focuses on customer with new IoT cloud service by Internet of Things Institute

The Crystallization of Salesforce’s IoT Strategy by Ecommerce times

JavaScript and Python Are the Two Most Popular Languages on Github

GitHub, who provides Cloud-based storage for source code, released their annual data report (https://octoverse.github.com/) showcasing the two most common languages of projects on their site are JavaScript and Python, respectively. This is the 4th year in a row JavaScript is number one, no surprise considering it is the “programming language of the web”. In addition, frameworks such as Node.js allow developers to also write server-side code in Javascript. The list of major websites using Node.js is extensive (https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-biggest-websites-built-with-Node-js-on-the-server-side), and it showcases that this language isn’t disappearing anytime soon.

Python was a newcomer at #2, overtaking Java which has long been used to build enterprise software. Python, a general-purpose language that also happens to be my favorite, has gained massive popularity due to it’s extremely flexible uses in coding education, web/desktop applications, and general scripting for automation/data manipulation. However, Python’s most surprising use has been its rapid rise in the data science world. With the growth of machine learning and artificial intelligence, many data science teams have turned to Python’s flexible syntax and large number of external libraries to help write efficient algorithms for crunching massive amounts of data and turning them into efficient information.

It’s very clear that if you want to learn how to code in 2017, both of these languages are a great place to start. Do you know any coding languages or are you planning to learn any? If so, what are they? What other languages do you consider to be beneficial for getting a job in 2017 onward?

Blockchain Technology in Underdeveloped Countries

Image result for blockchain technology

IBM is using blockchain technology to help small businesses in underdeveloped countries participate in global trade (Peterson). They will be processing financial transactions with other institutes across borders and different currencies. IBM is teaming up with two fintech startups Stellar.org and KlickEx Group (Peterson). By partnering with these two startups, IBM is attracting bigger international banks to work with these underdeveloped regions.

In addition to IBM, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation teamed up with Ripple (different source of cryptocurrency – mainly used by large financial firms and corporations like Santander, and Accenture) to create an open-source software called Mojaloop. Mojaloop allows for a real-time system to system payments on a national scale. This will equip the less fortunate nations with a platform to use the technology and financial tools being provided.

With the amount of backing blockchain technology has generated the past year do you think it will become a legal form of currency? Do you guys believe it will ever get backed by the national governments? If not, do you think it will ever become a primary or secondary source of currency like the USD or Euro, etc?

Sources:

http://www.businessinsider.com/ibm-global-payment-blockchain-project-international-trade-2017-10

https://ripple.com/insights/ripple-the-gates-foundation-team-up-to-level-the-economic-playing-field-for-the-poor/

iPhone for life!

We all know Apple’s dominance in the smartphone industry. To sum up the article, a person’s next smartphone choice will be the iPhone. However, I want to address other issues that I face with purchasing a new smartphone in my near future. My first iPhone was an iPhone 5. Before that I had an android device which I enjoyed using due to its customization. Ever since I switched to the iPhone 5, I haven’t looked back at android devices. I am a current iPhone 7 user and the main reason I stuck with the iPhone was because its more “simple” interface. After the announcement of the iPhone 8/X, I am curious to see if my next smartphone will still be an iPhone. We all know there is not much of a difference between newer versions of iPhones except a few new features that I would never use. I have thought about switching back to an android device for a change.

I keep telling myself that there’s minimal difference between each iPhone version and to be completely honest, my next smartphone will probably be an iPhone again.

Even though I know that there won’t be much of a difference with the newer version of the iPhone, why do I keep buying iPhones instead of switching back to android? I think I am so accustomed to the iOS that I am afraid of change.

What are your own personal thoughts about the next smartphone you will purchase? Will it be an iPhone again? Or android?

https://www.cnet.com/news/next-phone-will-be-iphone-say-more-teens-than-ever/

New possibilities are arising since people start combining the Internet of Things into their lives. The Digital Twin technology is one of the new possibilities, and probably is the most revolutionary one. Basically, digital twin is a virtual and living model/representation by using digital replica equivalent to a physical assets throughout lifecycle. To drive a business outcome, the dynamic model is able to gets data (both operational data, and environmental data), and constantly updates itself to reflect the precise conditions of the asset intelligently. By leveraging digital twin technology, corporations are allow to (operational benefit) realize opportunities to optimize/get mitigation advice when possible failures been found out, and (maintenance benefit) reduce maintenance cost and unplanned downtimes/outages, as well able to predicting the assets’ future performances to help business owner make a wiser decision. Tesla is a good example who actively using digital twin technology on every vehicle it manufactured. “Constantly, data is being transmitted back and forth from the car to the factory. If a driver has a rattle in a door it can be fixed by downloading software to adjust the hydraulics of that particular door.” (Shilova, Margarita 2017) I believe the Digital Twin technology will bring our world (especially the manufacture industry) to an new generation within five to ten years.

So, the questions are: what do you think about Digital Twin? Do you think there is any drawback of digital twin?

Related readings:

What IS A Digital Twin? by General Electric Imagination at Work, 2017

How to Use Digital Twins in Your IoT Strategy by Sony Shetty, 2017

The rise of digital twins in the Industrial Internet of Things by i-Scoop, 2017

DIGITAL TWIN AS A STRATEGIC TECHNOLOGY TREND by Margarita Shilova, 2017

What is digital twin? by Lynne Slowey (IBM), 2017

Vulnerability in WPA2 Protocol Opens the Door for Attackers

From the article:

Researchers have disclosed a serious weakness in the WPA2 protocol that allows attackers within range of vulnerable device or access point to intercept passwords, e-mails, and other data presumed to be encrypted, and in some cases, to inject ransomware or other malicious content into a website a client is visiting.

The proof-of-concept exploit is called KRACK, short for Key Reinstallation Attacks. The research has been a closely guarded secret for weeks ahead of a coordinated disclosure that was scheduled for 8am Monday, East Coast time. A website disclosing the vulnerability said it affects the core WPA2 protocol itself and is effective against devices running the Android, Linux, and OpenBSD, and to a lesser extent macOS and Windows, as well as MediaTek Linksys, and other types of devices. The site warned that attackers can exploit the to decrypt a wealth of sensitive data that’s normally encrypted by the nearly ubiquitous Wi-Fi encryption protocol.

“This can be abused to steal sensitive information such as credit card numbers, passwords, chat messages, emails, photos, and so on,” researcher Mathy Vanhoef, of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in Belgium wrote. “The attack works against all modern protected Wi-Fi networks. Depending on the network configuration, it is also possible to inject and manipulate data. For example, an attacker might be able to inject ransomware or other malware into websites.”

Companies such as Cisco and Aruba have released fixes for their networking equipment and have given information on how to mitigate risks for attack. Has this vulnerability been an issue at your job/internship? Do things like this make you concerned about connecting to public networks, even if they are “secured”?

Social networks know you via your friend

“Keeping your information private isn’t solely your choice anymore.”

Above quote from the article, says that even though you limits your information on Social Networking Site (SNS) or merely don’t have SNS account, your privacy is still at the risk of being exposed to public. Those who use such service may experience that they sometimes ask to reach out your phone contact list including name, phone number and email address. These information are stored, analyzed and used by SNS to match existing and future user information. One example is that Facebook’s shadow profile. In 2013, due to the Facebook bug, about 6 million users’ phone numbers were filled on their profiles even though they didn’t provide for the site. The other case the article refers to is Facebook-like service, “Friendster”, which had closed its service in 2015. The issue is that the data on the site was remained as Internet Archive and easily found. Like Facebook case, these leftover data might be somehow abused. With collecting tons of information not only from what you provide, but also what your friends provide, SNS creepily grow more.

Do you think SNS need such information? How do you think this can be changed?

Related readings:
How Facebook knows you’re Jewish by CNNtech
Facebook Knew I Was Gay Before My Family Did by BuzzFeed
Why Facebook’s ‘People You May Know’ makes some weird suggestions by USA Today

1 2 3 6