Money is Becoming Harder to Fake

With the use of micro-optics technology, paper currency is becoming increasingly harder to counterfeit. The technology uses microscopic lenses to create images on the bills that will signal authenticity. Nearly 1 million of these lenses are used to magnify underlying micro-images on each of the newest $100 bills. When you tilt the bank note, Liberty Bells on the ribbon seem to change into the numeral 100. If you tilt the note left and right, the images appear to move up and down. If you tilt the note up and down, the images appear to move left and right. The quick method for validation makes it easier for humans to identify counterfeit bills on the market.

This is an interesting use of a technology, but to me it seemed unnecessary once I learned there is only an estimated $863,100 worth of counterfeit $100 bills in circulation.

4 Responses to Money is Becoming Harder to Fake

• I see one issue with this. I have been to multiple businesses where i have paid with a 20, 50 or 100 dollar bill and they have not validated to see if it were real or counterfeit. It is good that the government is stepping up and making the counterfeit process harder and almost impossible to replicate. After the government does this (which it has), its on the business to one accept real currency. Business owners need to train new and current employees how to spot a counterfeit bill. If its with he use of the human eye, the black marker or technology, at the end of the day I believe the final defense for counterfeit money comes from the working employees not being lazy and doing their due diligence.

• I believe that the new security measures used on the $100 bill will reduce the amount of counterfeiters trying to print 100$ bills. I think will be see a rise in counterfeiters trying to forge $50, and $20 bills. The $50, and $20 bill have limited security measures as of right now and would be easier to pass as legitimate at retaliate businesses. Overall, I think as technology advances counterfeiting will become more and more difficult.

• I completely agree with Matt. I have worked at a retail chain a few years back where I have dealt with people who gave fake bills to me and some bills, I can just tell it’s fake by feeling it. While it is great that the government is taking measures to make it harder for people to produce counterfeit bills, it is completely up to business employees to actually take a few seconds of their time to make sure that the bill(s) are legitimate.

• This is a very interesting technology that I think could help in eliminating counterfeit bills. I’ve noticed at Wawa that when someone uses a $100 bill, the cashier has to put it into a machine that reads it and keeps it in a safe. Smaller “mom and pop” type stores do not have this capability yet, but I think has the technology becomes cheaper that eventually anyone who accepts paper money will be able to utilize it. On the other hand, as people are using different methods of payment like mobile wallet and credit/debit cards, paper currency could potentially be phased out.