Technology and Traffic?

Seoul has 25 million people in the city whichis halfof South Korea’s population. The United Nations predict more than 6 billion people will be in the world’s cities which is crazy to think. Seoul uses real time data to predict and control traffic. They gather information on buses, gps in taxis, and smart tickets in the subways to maximize efficiency.

When reading his article of how Seoul can use technology to control traffic it made me thinks of the future of autonomous cars. I can see traffic being controlled by the communication of autonomous cars. This may be far fetched but I can see cars communicating with each other so the traffic flow is smooth and efficient. This can also decrease or completely eliminate accidents. When a new car turns on and enters the road the traffic pattern will adjust by communicating with the new car.

With this I raise the question of, what do you see as the future of autonomous cars and/or traffic? Also, what are your reactions to my theory of autonomous cars communicating with each other to control traffic?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/19/technology/seoul-transportation-megacity/index.html

6 Responses to Technology and Traffic?

• I think there will be transportation services that will be fully autonomous in the future (such as the uber projecs they have launched in some cities) however I don’t know if they will ever truly replace manual transportation. There will always be concerns over the safety risks of not having someone who can “think on their feet” when unexpected incidents occur. That which an AI vehicle might not be able to handle or if the cars were to malfunction or get hacked.

• I agree with Stanley, I think that there will be fully autonomous cars in the future but I think that it will take 25-30 years for the world to function solely on autonomous transportation. The overly concerned older generations that are against these types of ideas will need to die in order for there to be a shift in attitude towards the autonomous car implementation. I think in the future this type of technology will take over and it will become a social norm, similar to how the smartphone completely took over the market.

• I also believe that cars will become fully autonomous in the future but it will take a while for all types of transportation to change to it. The thought of using technology to control traffic makes sense but it may not account for being in a hurry and any other outside factors. I do believe that cars communicating with each other will help control traffic and make driving safer but everyone who drives would have to agree to sharing where they are and where they are going to get somewhere, which may not work with everyone. I wouldn’t be surprised to see what Seoul is doing happen in the U.S. but I believe it will take a while for fully autonomous transportation.

• I think that autonomous cars will be true in the future. Human errors are a majority factor in car crashes. Since autonomous vehicles can share experiences and information with other cars, driverless cars may be smarter and safer. Now cities are mostly filled by personal driving alone in their cars. With changing into a future of the autonomous car, the government also need to set up a self-drive act. But, it is not really that car companies can immediately exchange their profitable model of car sales.

• Safety can certainly become the top selling point of autonomous cars, and tech experts will rely on pushing autonomous vehicles as a transportation solution in the near future. However, this solution may not be able to solve the problem of traffic congestion, or even make it become worse. As the article I have read, a professor of University of Texas listed the reasons about the downside of the autonomous vehicle to traffic: 1) Longer travel distances, including people more likely to take induced driverless trips to destinations they currently wouldn’t drive to due to stress or other factors; 2) More driving trips by people who are presently unlicensed or have barriers to driving; 3) Less air travel by passengers; 4) Less rail travel by freight; 5) Possibly larger, less-efficient vehicles for longer trips; and 6) More sprawling land use. If the above issues can be solved properly, I believe autonomous vehicles will bringing the most efficient transportation for the public.

• It will be interesting to see how speed limits will be affected by the rise of autonomous cars. I think if all cars on the road were autonomous then we would no longer need speed limits to keep us safe. Cars would communicate with each other and there would be a “natural flow” to traffic. This could help with congestion in cities and shorten commute time in the future. Speed limits are only here because of the human error aspect so if we can get rid of human error there would no longer be a need for speed limits.