Information Systems Integration – Messina

3rd Dimension of Cyberspace

Internet hacking is nothing new in today’s society and hackers have gained unauthorized access to computers and networks for years. What is becoming more concerning is the new target these hackers have which is cognitive hacking. This involves targeting people’s perceptions and thought processes. They believed this is what the Russians did during the 2016 U.S. presidential election. They created fake social media accounts to distribute propaganda to engage real people, who would then pass the information along to their personal following on social media. Social media companies like Twitter and Facebook have been implementing ways to prevent the spread of fake news by suspending these fake accounts. The best protection against these threats to the cognitive dimension of cyberspace is using your brain to think critically about what you are seeing and examine claims before accepting them as true.

How can we fight against cognitive hacking? I think many people do not even realize they are being subjected to this kind of attack while browsing social media and making posts. We need to inform people of this threat so they are aware and do not get subjected to it.

https://www.livescience.com/63214-hackers-target-your-mind.html

2 Responses to 3rd Dimension of Cyberspace

• Hi Rebecca,

I think this is a very interesting topic that more people should start paying attention about. Technology is evolving faster than ever, which means it’s even harder to keep our information private. In the age of social media, it’s really easy for people to believe everything they read online. I don’t think there is a way to prevent cognitive hacking as of now, since there really is no way to regulate and prevent people from creating fake profiles and bots. It doesn’t help that news channels can be biased and report information in a way that fit their own agendas.I think the best way to combat cognitive hacking is to educate the public and encourage people to do their own research from trusted sources, rather than trusting everything they read. People should also put their personal ideologies aside sometimes in order to look at things based on facts and not emotions.

• This is really an interesting topic. Social media is probably one of the biggest addiction in todays world. Most people in the world are on social media and are believing in fake news. Cognitive hacking however I think will not go away in the near future. It is really hard to prevent just random people posting on social media. Also now a days people believe so many fake news on social media that people are becoming arrogant and stubborn with their information. This is a serious problem and should be kept in control in the future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *