Information Systems Integration – Messina

printing organs with 3D printers

With the evolution of technology, 3D printer has become a popular item for people in many professions. Artists use these printers to create art, engineers use them to print parts of objects, and now scientists are using them to print organs. One of the biggest flaw of the human body is our regenerative ability. Biologically, we can only regenerate a very few things, such as bones, hair, skin, and nails. But now with 3d printing technology, we are one step closer on creating functional artificial organs. 3D printers can use many different types of material to create objects for multiple purposes. Scientists are creating prototypes of organs by experimenting with materials in order to mimic the texture and feelings of real human organs. If successful, and I’m sure they will be, this technology would be a huge leap for humanity. We can give blind people visions, replace hearing aids with artificial cochlea, hearts for heart transplant patients who would wait years for a transplant. It would be a medical miracle.

Do you think that 3d printing can be used to create artificial organs? What are some of the potential downsides or issues you can think off? What else can we use 3D printers for?

https://www.mdlinx.com/internal-medicine/article/2668

3 Responses to printing organs with 3D printers

• I think this is possible to create organs using 3d printing, however, I am wondering if we will see this in our lifetime. I’ve noticed a lot of health related discoveries are slow moving, for example tooth enamel regeneration. We have been able to make tooth removal and replacement much more safe, however they still have not gotten a regeneration method approved by the FDA. I think this technology will save a lot of lives, but I am wondering when it will actually be in use.

• I always find this topic so interesting because it’s insane to think that a human body part can be replicated through an advanced printer. I enjoyed learning about the fact that the advancements in this direction include material to reflect what an actual organ looks and feels like.

I do believe that 3D printing can be used to create artificial organs. There’s a possibility of many things to go wrong while using this, but the world does not change if you do not try things like this. If using a 3D printer for organs is successful then the medical world would change as we know it. Some issues I can think of is human testing (if it doesn’t go well), body rejection, the cost being too high for many people to afford this, and a different but continued black market for printable organs.

I’m very interested to see where the future of 3D printer is headed. My next best guess is that they will start printing cars, or objects to make up tiny homes. 3D printers will not stop at organs as a place to try and change the world!

• This topic is really interesting. If this technology gets perfected so many people in this world could be saved. This invention could also potentially cut down on costs of surgery TheH machine will also provide parts of the human body more easily, patients will no longer need to worry about who is able to give them something to live. The downside I can see is that it needs to be tested and I believe there might be some long term effect. If all parts of the body can be replicated and put on with surgery will humans live forever? I think this can really be a crazy topic to talk about.